Rauldc14's 2nd Top 100

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well folks, it's been well over 3 years since I've put my top 100 onto this board. The difference, well, I've seen a crapton of films in the past 3 years and when I first posted my top 100 here I hadn't many recommendations from this forum. I look back on my old top 100 and still love many of the films that are there but it's time for an "official" change. So you'll see many new films here.

But first, I give you the 8 films that just barely missed the cut:
Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock)
The Fighter (David O. Russell)
Raising Arizona (The Coen Brothers)
Cinderella Man (Ron Howard)
The Impossible (Juan Antonio Bayona)
The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick)
Taxi Driver (Martin Scorcese)
Dirty Harry (Don Siegel)

3 of these films were on my past top 100 (Taxi Driver, Vertigo, Cinderella Man). Still really like them but had to make room for other films.

In all, I know not everyone will be pleased with my list but it is what it is and I figured it was time to show the progression that I've made with what films I now enjoy.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Progression? If watching more arthouse is what you call progression it's cool, but if it is not it's cool as well. You're cool after all. Just post the list already. Really curious what's better than The Thin Red Line and Vertigo in your opinion.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Progression? If watching more arthouse is what you call progression it's cool, but if it is not it's cool as well. You're cool after all. Just post the list already. Really curious what's better than The Thin Red Line and Vertigo in your opinion.
And remember, it's more of a top 100 favorites list, than a top 100 best list. Not much of a difference, but there is a slight difference.

By progression I mean with my last list, I'd hardly seen anything per 1980, limited black and white, and a handful of foreign. Still a ways to go, but that's why I call it progression.

Really curious what's better than ... Vertigo in your opinion.
Well, I've listed 100 films that are better for a start and I could put another 100 up too.

Looking forward to this, some of the films that just missed out are great, but I'm expecting some great stuff in the top 100 too
I'm not, but that's because rauldc have very different taste. I'm still looking forward to the new list, though. I wonder which new films we'll have to disagree over.

Of course it's your top of favourites. That's why I added 'in your opinion' in my last post. That's a good progression, then. Never cease to expand your movie knowledge.

And remember, it's more of a top 100 favorites list, than a top 100 best list. Not much of a difference, but there is a slight difference.
I once tried to do a top 100 best films separate from a top 100 favorites but in the end it was just another favorites list but that also that included some films that impressed me in ways that I didn't like very much, films that I think would be impressive to other people.

Now I just know that art is subjective and thus there isn't such a thing as a discrepancy between two things when they are the same: the only input you get from watching a movie is the subjective experience you have.

Well, I've listed 100 films that are better for a start and I could put another 100 up too.
Me too, but it's a very highly regarded film, so I'm just curious what will be higher.

Yeah, even this forum has developed some sacred cows by now. People should stop worshiping a few movies since there are many masterpieces out there.

When I did my top 100 I put Vertigo on the 100th place just to say: look people, here are 100 movies that I liked more than Vertigo. Then some people even criticized my list saying that I wouldn't be able to find 100 movies better than it. What a stupid thing to say.

I'm not, but that's because rauldc have very different taste. I'm still looking forward to the new list, though. I wonder which new films we'll have to disagree over.
We have more film taste in common than you think HK. For instance, we both like 50 First Dates

We have more film taste in common than you think HK. For instance, we both like 50 First Dates
True. I didn't say we don't like any of the same films. TBH, I'm expecting to like about 20%-30%.

No Vertigo or Taxi Driver? The nerve of you to tip two of my sacred cows. Looking forward to the list.

In all, I know not everyone will be pleased with my list but it is what it is and I figured it was time to show the progression that I've made with what films I now enjoy.
You call leaving Taxi Driver and Vertigo off your list progression?

Just joking.

I'm probably not going to like all of the fims on your list, but I remember Casablanca being on your previous top 10, so I'm also going to like/love many of your choices.

I hope you will be writing a little bit about each movie on your top 100 too, so I can read your deeper opinions about some of your picks.

No Vertigo or Taxi Driver? The nerve of you to tip two of my sacred cows. Looking forward to the list.
Honestly, it's probably due to the fact I haven't seen either in so long. Especially with Vertigo. They could have easily made the list, but just short this time.

100. The Lucky Ones

Obviously a huge guilty pleasure of mine, but in honesty, a great film too. All 3 of the lead roles are excellent. I think it is Rachel McAdams best pure acting role, and Pena and Robbins have this to add to their impressive resumes. Plus, I've always been a sucker for the Road Trip films. For whatever reason, it is a film that I connect with highly, for a number of reasons. Cheever, Colee, and TK are the Lucky Ones, each lucky for their own reasons and the film makes me think about how much worse off things really could be, and to cherish what we have in our lives, be it love or friendship or the adventures themselves.

99. National Treasure

I'm not sure if maybe I've just caught the right films, but I actually don't mind Nicolas Cage as an actor. The movie is good for what it is: a pure adventure film. Not oscar or award worthy of anything, just a fun ride throughout. And bonus points for having Diane Kruger in it. The concept of the film is what draws me too it. No, it's about as unrealistic as unrealistic can be, but that's what the fun part of it is. Keep an open mind and it's a fun thrill ride.

98. The Cider House Rules

A touching film that has some great performances in it. It's too bad that a film like this had to miss out on the MOFO 90's top 100. In particular, an incredible role from Michael Caine, and also perhaps Tobey McGuire's and Charlize Theron's (ok, not better than Monster) best roles. A movie I can genuinely say has touched my heart. We need more films like this one.

97. The General

The movie that makes me appreciate Buster Keaton to such a high level. This movie mind you is from the 20's but it doesn't feel like it one bit. The movie holds up incredibly well, is well paced and the action keeps you on the edge of your seat. Just because the movie is getting older and older, doesn't mean the movie isn't continually growing on me. Has some very iconic scenes that are still looked up to this day in Hollywood, such as the one that is pictured here.