Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

→ in
Tools    

If a group of actors can create a whole imaginary town with just a couple of ladders on stage in My Town, why do they need to spray fake blood to provide "realsim?"

Maybe people don't want to sit there and watch a couple of retards swing around on a couple of retarded ladders. ******.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, first off, rufnek is talking about the Pulitzer Prize-winning play, Our Town. Secondly, I guess I missed the PBS depiction of the Sweeney Todd play because it's always been a rather gruesome thing which left little to the imagination. However, I do think this is the most violent version yet, but that doesn't seem surprising in the least. rufnek, have you seen Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow?

Well, first off, rufnek is talking about the Pulitzer Prize-winning play, Our Town. Secondly, I guess I missed the PBS depiction of the Sweeney Todd play because it's always been a rather gruesome thing which left little to the imagination. However, I do think this is the most violent version yet, but that doesn't seem surprising in the least. rufnek, have you seen Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow?
The thing about stage productions is that there are no closeups. When you watch a play on stage, everything is happening several feet--yards, even--away. With Sweeney Todd on film, you're practically standing at his elbow when he slits a throat. The theater doesn't need special effects to get its point across--if one wanted "realistic spurts" of blood on stage, one would need to shoot it from a firehose if anyone in the balcony is to see it. And you sure don't see the "bodies" hurtling down a chute to smash their skulls on the concrete floor two stories down.

Also, in the on-stage version, the person playing Sweeney Todd seemed to take more interest in killing his victims; in the film, Depp seems to do it by rote, never looking at them, just reaching to the side or back in mid-verse to give them a little slice. Where's the challenge and the "fun" of being a mass murderer when you put no more effort and emotion into it than if you were popping balloons with a pin?

Yeah, I did see Sleepy Hallow. Didn't have a problem with the lopping off of fake heads that looked like cabbage hitting the ground. Don't recall any great spurts of blood in that one, when in reality blood would have gushed by the buckets with the two artery systems completely severed. Still, the story was more gruesome than frightening, and the explanation of who was resurecting the headless horseman and how and why seemed to get needlessly complicated at the end--I'm not sure if I really understood it or not. Depp played a better role in that film, I think, but I still think the Disney version is more scarey.

I really like Burton's Batman, primarily because of Nicholson's performance, and I thought Nightmare Before Christmas was very clever (cleaver?). But I haven't exactly been bowled over by some of his other films.

One of the most interesting things to me was the formula for the "musical numbers" if you will. Most of the musicals I've seen have songs that the characters perform as part of the overall story arc but in this film they spent a good deal of the time just singing, what to me seemed like should be just regular spoken dialog. I again thought that was brilliant and perhaps that's the way it is in the play as well and if so, then I'm sure the play is a real treat to watch.
If you like that pop-operetta format where the dialogue is sung (and I do!), then you're in for a real treat when you see Evita! and Sweeney Todd on stage! You'll also discover that the movie dropped several songs that were in the award-winning stage production of Sweeney Todd and added new tunes. The play featured a central theme, The Ballad of Sweeney Tood, that was reprised at several points in the play, so it flowed through the stage production like the movie's river of blood through the sewer. Yet you don't hear that tune at all in the film. See the play--it's much, much better than the film.

I just saw this recently and I immediately fell in love with it. Depp was amazing, but the real kudos, for me, goes to Rickman. His character is evil and he knows it and he lives it, and he acts it perfectly.

North American Scum!
My view of the movie in short: solid acting from all (especially with Carter who I connected with), loved the gothic set, loved the story, and loved the cartoonish blood (well didn't love it but enjoyed that it was not too realistic b/c otherwise i would have been too squeamish to enjoy the movie).

My only issue (and i'm going to remedy this with another viewing) was I didn't really love the songs. 'By the Sea' and Todd's little stanza about the 'pit' along with the main theme I really loved but everything else really didn't stick in my head. It probably was a combo of not being able to understand the words half the time and that I just wasn't mentally prepared for a musical. Either way the songs just didn't stay with me like the Producers (the only other musical I've seen).

Again maybe a second viewing will increase my appreciation but for now it lays awkwardly between an 8 and a 9 (out of 10)(I don't like to go into decimals because where do you draw the line?).

Colour out of Time
When you watch it again ... lets us know if audience are starting to sing along ... as I'm wondering if it will become a 'Rocky Horror' type of experience.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Who is kmm5062 and why is he negative repping me in this thread.

Suspect's Reviews

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I've been reading this thread for a while now and not chiming even though this is one of my favorite films of last year. I kept wondering what I could add to the discussion but rufnek's discussion and the thoughts about Carter have got me a bit riled up.

First, I totally get why people don't think Carter is good here or that Lansbury was so much better. I love Angela Lansbury, but surprisingly, I'm in the minority about her performance as Lovett. It was entirely too manic for me. And while Carter mumbled, Lansbury sung too fast!

What I think Burton did was narrow the film down to strictly the obsession theme of the story and Carter played her obsession with Sweeney in a more quiet way than Lansbury did. I like Carter's performance because she expressed that obsession very well -- I thought her heartbreaking in the final song with Toby where she realizes that this boy who loves her needs to die because he's interfering with her obession with Sweeney. I thought the irony of the scene was so clearly communicated.

I really love this movie even thought I think it lacked the manic energy of the show. This is a more brooding tragic tale, imo.

I love the final shot. Love it.

And the blood was fine, but I really didn't need to see Lovett in the oven like that. I thought that was too much!

fbi
I wanted to see this until i heard it was a musical. I dont really find them that good.

I've been reading this thread for a while now and not chiming even though this is one of my favorite films of last year. I kept wondering what I could add to the discussion but rufnek's discussion and the thoughts about Carter have got me a bit riled up.

First, I totally get why people don't think Carter is good here or that Lansbury was so much better. I love Angela Lansbury, but surprisingly, I'm in the minority about her performance as Lovett. It was entirely too manic for me. And while Carter mumbled, Lansbury sung too fast!

What I think Burton did was narrow the film down to strictly the obsession theme of the story and Carter played her obsession with Sweeney in a more quiet way than Lansbury did. I like Carter's performance because she expressed that obsession very well -- I thought her heartbreaking in the final song with Toby where she realizes that this boy who loves her needs to die because he's interfering with her obession with Sweeney. I thought the irony of the scene was so clearly communicated.

I really love this movie even thought I think it lacked the manic energy of the show. This is a more brooding tragic tale, imo.

I love the final shot. Love it.

And the blood was fine, but I really didn't need to see Lovett in the oven like that. I thought that was too much!
Sorry, didn't mean to upset you. Just offering my views. You have views that differ, yet we both disliked the burning in that steel mill furnace. Who could cook anything on a fire that hot???

All i hear about this movie from my friends is that it was not what they were expecting. !!! its a MUSICAL understand that and its a great movie
movie~7/10
I don't know.
Is it Captain Howdy?

The end is so unreal, so fake.
The rest, especially the music are great.

Yoda PM'd me, saying that I should review this film, that "there's a big ol' spot on the mainpage" for me.

Wanting all the glory, I jumped on the bandwagon.

For the record, I generally don't write reviews. I tried in the past and the flame went out for me real quick. Every once in a blue moon I will, and the reasons why I do them so rarely differs from time to time. One thing that's common in all my reviews though, is that I try and put a little story into on how it all went about. Usually film critics just state their opinion on the film (yes, one person's opinion, not fact. That's why I don't go by reviews), and that's that. I like mine to be different. But it's still my opinion nonetheless, and that's hypocritcal of me to say, I know, but oh well. You'll get over it.

Anywho, I got the sneak preview privledge of seeing this film when I went to go see Beowulf in 3D with my two other friends. They were handing out flyers for it, and the people at the theater said we would have to call up to RSVP ASAP (I like how that flows well), as the seats we're going out. Each flyer was good for two people to come.

After Beowulf let out (which I enjoyed - 9 out of 10, maybe because in junior year of high school in 2006, we attempted to parody it. See the trailer for it
. Pardon the YouTube description for it - my friend wrote it, not I. That's not even my account, it's his), I called up and RSVP'd my seats to go see the film, which was to be shown Tuesday, December 4th, 2007 at 7:30. Naturally, the best part so far was that the screening was for free.

So, we roll in on December 4th to the Valley View Cinemark in Valley View, Ohio at 6:45 to check-in, as the flyer said for us to do. We walk right in and are sent to the proper theater, and a strange thing happened to us.

We were checked by security.

This is new, I thought. I only then realized they weren't checking for bombs - they were checking for little digital camera's to record the film with. I found it ammusing when the one guard used his detector he waved it to above me to see if I was carrying anything inside my brown Fedora.

Being ushered in, it was indeed a full house. Having an usher point us to some seats (there were four of us), we sat down and just chit-chatted. A representative from the company who handed out the flyers talked to me and my friends sat down, asked us some questions, and then asked if we'd be interested in talking after the film. We said sure, why not. When the time came, another representative came and told us hello, that we were the first audience in America to see the film (although I'm not too sure on that), and that to see if anyone by us had any hidden cameras to record the film with, as that conduct is illegal. (As a gag, as soon as he said recording film's in the theater was illegal, I let out a loud "WHAT?" and some people laughed) When that was said and done, the film began with no previews.

Going in, I had my expectations. It was another Tim Burton/Johnny Depp colaboration, and that brought in some good hope, seeing as how this duo produced my favorite film of all time, Ed Wood. I was obviously familiar with Burton's dark artistic style, as well as Depp's diverse acting, so overall, I had positive vibes for the film.

As soon as the film starts off, you see a ship coming out of a fog into the docks with Depp on board. I couldn't help but make a Pirates joke in my head. (Too bad I forgot it though ) The story picks up real well from this point on, taking no delays. The pacing was very well done, and the acting was phenomenal. Seeing Depp sing with a tinge of Jack Sparrow in his voice was no harm to the ears, but rather interesting. For those of you who don't know, this film is adapted from a musical, and being in theater in high school, I could easilly tell how each scene would have been made on a live stage and its transfer to film, which impressed my greatly. The camera work is profound, and the scenes with Sacha Baron Cohen were comical, both when he sang and his acting out of the character. He definently prooved that Hollywood won't be able to typecast him as another Borat-esque character, because this character in the film brought in new talents from Cohen.

The plot has it's twists and turns, but it's overall grim story of revenge intertwined with dark comedy makes it mark. Burton's directing style couldn't be more present in this film. My friend popped me the famous question, "Oscar worthy?" My answer? Yes. For set design and cinematography. The grim and gloomy depiction of the film, mixed with the bright red of blood was literally, beautiful. As for acting? I could see it happening, but there's more films to come for Oscar time, so I wouldn't hold my breath on it, but it would be nice to see Depp or Helena Bonham Carter up for one. Carter's role, by the way, was very well done. You grew attached to her in a grissily, sick way, as you did for Depp and the other characters.

"But were there any negatives about the film, you babbling moron?" some of you may ask. And to answer that, not really. The only thing that may not sell this film is the fact that it's a musical. However, the flipside to that is that it's Johnny Depp singing and slicing people's necks (which will make you cringe. I found myself holding my throat, and my friend sitting next to me would also put his head down to cover his. The violence in the film reminded me of the way Japanese portray people getting limbs cut off. For those of you who know what I'm talking about, then... you know what I'm talking about. For those of you who don't, you'll see...), not John Travolta flying into the sky in a car with Olivia Newton John. Big difference. And I know for a fact that Burton and Depp both have a loyal fan base that will show up December 21st to see the film, as well as a lot of people who are involved in theater and plays. I know this because, as I said before, I used to be involved with theater and plays. The one thing that surpised me, and this isn't negative, was that there was more singing than I expected. I thought the singing would be paced like a Disney cartoon, but I was wrong. But I'm not going to complain - I liked getting more than what I expected.

Going back to the violence factor, my friend and I found ourselves looking at each other and smiling when someone was in the barber's chair, knowing what was to come. We were much entertained by it.

When the film finished, the lights came up and everyone in the theater was handed a survey to fill out about the film. They were questions that revolved around what made us want to see the film other than it was free, what did you like best, what did you like least, etc. Then when everyone left, those who were selected to talk at the very end of the screening came down to the front two rows to do so. (When asked if we wanted to do so, they also asked for our ages - I'm assuming this was for statistical purposes) People generally shared their thoughts of the film, pros and cons. One thing that stook out was when the guy who was asking the questions (who looked oddly like Opie from the radio show Opie and Anthony) asked the men if they still would've came had they not known much about the film other than it was a musical, and when he asked the women if they still would've came had they not known much about it other than it was about a guy who slices throats. I found him to be asking racial stereotyping questions, but I figured this had to have been for statistical purposes. After everyone's final thoughts of the film was said, we left and went home, our night not being a bore.

So, my final thoughts? It's your typical Tim Burton film but with some new (and very well done) elements thrown in, one of the elements of course being his frequent collaborator Johnny Depp, who's acting and singing will not dissapoint. The plot is fresh for Hollywood to take in, everyone else in the film is marvelous (I forgot to mention that Alan Rickman never ceases to play a good bad guy), the imagery is just simply beautiful, the music is fantastic, and I'm sure the folks behind the Oscars will give it a good lookover. (I could've just said all those without having to write this novel-esque of a review. But then that would've made it boring now, wouldn't it?)

10 out of 10, kiddies.
Hi, Moviemaker 5087. Nice review--enjoyed reading it. I, too saw the film Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, and thought it was well done. Johnny Depp sure had some chiseled cheeks and he played his part really well, as did Alan Rickman. Good scenery and good photography, although this movie's definitely not for the faint of heart. Since I never saw the stage play, I've got nothing to compare it with, although I almost wish I had.

Sorry for reviving a long-dead thread, but I feel an urge to add my two cents to this thread. I think a more negative comment on this film is needed.

I actually loved this play. I was unable to see the revival of it, but have seen the stage version with Lansburry and Hearn that was recorded in the eighties. In this version, I thought everything was superbly done - the music was haunting and intricate, the singing was fantastic (can't argue with Hearn), the acting was powerful, the story was unique and complex, the writing was brilliantly done, and the set was well crafted and full of atmosphere.

What I admired most about this production, though, was it's ability to make you sympathize with disturbingly psychotic characters. One's a mass-murdering psycho and the other's a selfish sociopath, and yet somehow you still like them. Todd was dealt an awful tragedy that was unjustified, and wanted revenge. You could tell he was derranged, but you could also see why he was and all the pain he went through. Lovett's a bit less relatable, seeing as her actions are born from a desire for Todd, but she has enough charisma to make up for it. She's awful, but she has such a likable personality. The writing for these characters coupled with Hearn and Lansburry's performances (I didn't like the performance of the original Todd - Cariou - quite as much) displayed this all perfectly.

The same cannot be said for Burton's film. I'm not against trying a more realistic take on the characters as Burton did - ie, making them more dispicable - but this just didn't work with the story. Both characters were completely self-absorbed and unrelatable: Todd seemed more obsessed with easing his own pain with revenge than justifying the wrongs done to his family, and Lovett was just a snobby bitch. Yes, it is more realistic, but it severely detracts from the entertainment value of this film. And that's what it's supposed to be - entertaining! Not just disturbing and dark.

The thing is, this is supposed to be a comedy. A dark comedy, yes, but still a comedy. It's supposed to be funny. This film just wasn't. All the original jokes were told in this sarcastic, nasty way that just sucked out all the humor, and the relatively amusing irony of the characters' disturbed views on the world were painted over with angst and depression.

A great thing about the play was that it was fun. All these horrible things are happening on the stage, and yet you are still somehow having a good time watching it. The production was just a giant, enjoyable oxymoron, and that's what made it such a good show. Here, Burton just threw out all the aspects of the story that made it so great. It isn't enjoyable, or even comic - it's just depressing. The original was depressing as well, but in well-portioned doses. This film just oozes with negativity, so much so that it's just overwhelming.

On an additional note, the music was raped by those actors' awful singing (except Rickman - I thought his worked decently with his role). But that's not the hugest problem with this film, so I won't get into that.

Anyway, I just thought this film was so dreadful compared to the stage version. Hell, even just as a film, I thought it sucked. The acting was bland and phony, the singing sucked, and the whole thing was underdeveloped. I highly recommend the recording of the stage musical to anyone who might appreciate it.

Semper Fooey
I never liked the original play and didn't think it worked as comedy at all. The songs are fine, but the attempt to make Todd sympathetuc didn't work at all because it's one thing to go directly after the people who wronged you, but when your target is society in general, well, that's the thinking of those ******** responsible for 911, and I sure as hell don't find them sympathetic. I think Sondheim and his collaborators should have stayed closer to the original novel, not the original play adaptation, which makes a lot of bad changes. I prefer a Sweeney Todd motivated by greed, not revenge; a young, sexy Mrs. Lovett whose only interest in Sweeney is sharing in the profits from his stolen loot; and some colorful scenes that takes place away from that barber shop. I thought, considering what he had to work with, Burton did an amazing job of turning a very theatrically conceived musical into a cinematic experience.

Eh, each to his own, I suppose. I never heard there was a novel, though - an urban legend, yes, but not a novel. Who is it by?