M. Night Shyamalan's The Happening

Tools    

EDIT:
I just read the reviews on RT. Holy crap. I wonder why he wanted to make a B movie. What's the reasoning behind that? I remember hearing that he said that he made, Lady In The Water, as a sort of bed-time-story for his kids, or something like that. I wonder if he decided that after the fact, when he was watching it thinking to himself, "This sucks." I apply that same reasoning to him calling The Happening a B movie. Yeah. If the reviewers are right, it's a B movie. So, does him calling a sh_tty movie an intentional B movie make it a good movie? I'm waiting for my answer, Manoj Nelliyattu Shyamalan.
Now that I know he said it was a B movie, I pose the same question. Is he saying that so that critics will look at it differently and give it good ratings? No matter what he thinks, I think this movie sucks! Stuart Little was better than this!

M.N. just might be sandbagging...just saying.

This movie wasnt all that. I think he's been on a steady decline since the Sixth Sense. I enjoyed watching Philly on the big screen tho, couldnt see my block tho lol

hmm interesting

The Adventure Starts Here!
I have finally seen this movie. Good news/bad news:

The good news is that I started watching it on a lark late at night and thought I'd just DVR it and finish it later. But I HAD to keep watching it right then to see how it ended. That's one thing about Night's films: He knows how to make the tension seem significant enough to want to keep watching.

The bad news is that it led up to a whole lot of nothing. I was totally disappointed in it:

-- Wahlberg was just horrible. HORRIBLE.

-- Deschanel, who is usually funny and great, was horrible. HORRIBLE.

-- Leguizamo, who is always marvelous, dies way too early to save this movie.

-- It's a frickin' eco-thriller-movie. WTF? I mean, I felt like I was watching some sort of "ecology" movie from the '70s. I was waiting for someone to shout, "Soylent Green is peeeeeeople!"

-- One huge downfall of Night's (especially as time goes on) is that he imbues every line of dialogue, every shake of a head, every cough, every scratch with meaning. There is nothing extraneous in anything anyone says or does or thinks or in any way they move or act. It's too much, and it ends up making too much of what we are shown seem fake because NO ONE says significant stuff all the time. Where are the simple, character-building scenes where the only significance is to GENERALLY give us impressions of people or settings or situations?

Heck, even the lesson plan Moore is teaching in school that day HAPPENS to be relevant to the plot line. I'm sorry, but it is beginning to seem as if Night cannot write normal people doing normal things. And, to throw Wahlberg in and expect him to be able to act like a normal person doing normal things totally shoots the movie in the foot.

I maintained a personal media blackout for over a year so I could see this movie without being tainted by others' opinions. For previous Night films, this has usually helped me quite a bit. This time, though, I was screwed before I ever got past the credits.

I want that 90 minutes of my life back.

Buy the ticket = take the ride. Hee hee.

Just watched The Happening.
Love Shyamalan.
Hate this movie.
I am more akin to the title What Happened? – to M. Night, I mean.
I would guess that the critics who panned his other films (Lady In The Water) caused him to go in this direction. In doing so he dosed himself with toxins.
I can easily say this is his worst film (because I love all his others) – but this thing was really horrible. All the way around.
And $60 million? That money must have went to Shyamalan and Marky Mark No Talent. He certainly didn’t spend it on the movie. All he needed to shoot this movie was an open field and a big fan.
Man oh man oh man.
Better luck next time, tiger.