M. Night Shyamalan's The Happening

Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block
So Mr Shyamalan's new project has been announced, and judging by what i have read so far, i for one am EXTREMELY excited about this. Filming hasnt even started yet, and we only have Mark Wahlberg signed up (Although i have a feeling Paul Giammatti will be in there somewhere), but i am waiting with sweaty palms for a trailer.

Here's IMDB's blurb on it.
Originally Posted by IMDB
A paranoid thriller about a family on the run from a natural crisis that presents a large-scale threat to humanity.
Pretty vague huh? Heres Wickpedia's blurb...

Originally Posted by Shyamalanapedia
On ABC's The View, Shyamalan stated that his next project was a science fiction piece in the realm of Michael Crichton, and that it has Mark Wahlberg attached to it.[24] During the same broadcast, it was also implied that Paul Giamatti, the star of Lady In the Water, might participate in Shyamalan's next project as well as Colleen Cincotta, Mark Simbron, Justin Swope, and Kate Hudson. In addition, he has called his next project both his darkest and his most Hitchcockian. Saying, "The one I'm writing now, I really love those 1970s and 60s paranoia movies – The Andromeda Strain, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, so this new one is in that kind of vein."[25] He also told TIME Magazine that he has two ideas for his next film: "One is a big, broad idea, a Jurassic Parkian kind of idea. And one is kind of an Agatha Christie type idea. I’m trying to decide which to do."[26]
Shyamalan has since moved forward on his science fiction project. On March 7, 2007 Variety reported that M. Night's spec script The Green Effect had been sold to 20th Century Fox after having gone through a comprehensive rewrite when no major studios were interested enough in greenlighting the film. The project, renamed The Happening, is sceduled to be released in June 2008 and will be produced by Shyamalan, Sam Mercer, and Berry Mendel.
Despite Warner Bros. having already bought two more of his movies sight unseen, in an apparent career move, Shyamalan decided to broaden his studio relations to help his image.
"Because I'd been so lucky in making successful movies in the past, I was in monogamous relationships with a few studios and the isolation meant I'd never really met anybody," Shyamalan said. "Instead of me just being a name, I was a guy in a room."
The Happening will be Night's first R-rated effort.
"[Fox studio executive] Tom [Rothman] felt strongly about making this my first R-rated picture," Shyamalan said. "We talked about trying to get the kind of intensity that is present in 'Silence of the Lambs,' and the kind that Guillermo del Toro got in 'Pan's Labyrinth.' The impact of the beautiful things in that movie wouldn't have landed as strongly if the film had not been R rated."
The second draft of the movie was offered a home from several studios, but Shyamalan decided on Fox because of the studio's enthusiasm and past work in the genre of global disaster movies (e.g. The Day After Tomorrow). In addition to past hints, such as on Shyamalan's appearance on The View, that Paul Giamatti would return on his follow-up project to Lady in the Water, Shyamalan says he plans to cast a big name lead actor to star in the film.[27]
Shyamalan's recently announced film will be an R rated thriller filmed in Philadelphia. It will feature a family on the run from a natural crisis threatening all of humanity, and will be released in June of 2008.
On February 13, 2007 Latino Review posted a very favorable script review of The Happening (formerly titled The Green Effect) with El Mayimbe writing "[Shyamalan] is an original voice, an original storyteller who comes up with nothing but original stories. A guy who told stories successfully in the past will one day tell stories successfully again." He also added in regards to the spec script being turned down by almost every major studio, "I mean what was it? Was Shyamalan’s quote too high? Was there a list of demands? I mean what? It can’t be the script because, I’m sorry, it’s pretty darn good! I enjoyed the heck out of it. It was creepy and has a very good theme and premise."[28]
In addition, Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News wrote a review of The Happening, writing "I predict if Fox stays out of M. Night's way, that this will be seen as M. Night's 'comeback'. . . . [W]hat M. Night has constructed thus far in this script is a very 1960s End of the World scenario. If you've ever seen NO BLADE OF GRASS - combine that with the premise of something like Stephen King's CELL - and you're heading in the direction that this movie goes in."[29]
Knowles also went on to call this potentially "the best film M. Night has made. . . . As with all of Shyamalan's films - at the heart of the script is spiritual healing and hope. However, unlike everything he's done - there's a mean streak."
The plot of the film involves Earth's vegetation unleashing an invisible neurotoxin causing all those who breathe it to brutally kill themselves.
The protagonist, a science teacher named Elliot Moore, goes on the run with his wife and friends as hysteria grips the planet.[30]
In a call-in interview with Preston and Steve's morning radio show in Philadelphia, Mark Wahlberg stated that he was in talks to star in the film
So there ya go. Sounds interestng though. Also, check out this link below for a review of the script. No idea how accurate it is, or how many spoilers are there but, i for one am very eager to learn more about this. All hail the Shyamalan.

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=49

I'm pretty pysched, too. Allegedly, this is going to be Night's first R-rated film, which I think is probably a good thing. I have a copy of the script, but haven't read it yet, but the premise and the R-rating mean that we could be treated to some mind-blowing opening scenes.

This sounds like it has the potential to get Shyamalan back into form, as it were. Whether or not the quick turnaround time (it's apparently due out in July of 2008) will help or hurt it, I'm not really sure, but I'm leaning towards the former. I think the guy has good instincts, and will probably put out a better film this time around if he doesn't have too much time to overthink things. That's just an educated guess, though.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
I read the script and it certainly deserves it's R rating for the violent images it has.

It seems interesting and I'll definitely watch it when it comes out.

Bryce Dallas Howard has not been approached for this according to her. I didn't really like her in "Lady in the Water."

I think, like Yoda said, the ability to explore and "share" some ideas via an R rated film will either compound greatly or horribly his talents. I for one would love to see an R-rated Signs.

I read 1/3 of the script... it's kinda, I dunno, Dean Koontz-ish. Which is good for me, and it's definitely far from Lady In The Water... but we'll have to wait and see.

This movie is going to be very good. I have read the script and I am very interested in the movie. I am a big fan of M. Night's and dispite the popular vote, I liked Lady in the Water.

fbi
where did u get the script from and how? I thoguht m night was very careful about this.

Am looking forward to his next film. Sounds good. Lady in water started off well but ended up very crap. And believe me, I am a hardcore m night fan.

signs and unbreakable were master pieces. unbreakable is criminally underrated.

I'm pretty pysched, too. Allegedly, this is going to be Night's first R-rated film, which I think is probably a good thing. I have a copy of the script, but haven't read it yet, but the premise and the R-rating mean that we could be treated to some mind-blowing opening scenes.

This sounds like it has the potential to get Shyamalan back into form, as it were. Whether or not the quick turnaround time (it's apparently due out in July of 2008) will help or hurt it, I'm not really sure, but I'm leaning towards the former. I think the guy has good instincts, and will probably put out a better film this time around if he doesn't have too much time to overthink things. That's just an educated guess, though.

I'm also in the I liked Lady in the Water camp, its a small camp and you need a boat to get to the island but that's ok.

I'm excited to see how this one turns out, I really love his style for film making.

I like all of MNS's films; I cannot say the are all great, but they are all fun and entertaining, and thought provoking for sure. I am lookinf forward to everything he does.

A cool poster it is, but I don't really like the tagline. References to Sixth Sense and Signs are a bit vulgar, in my opinion. Less vulgar than a ring turning into alethiometer, but still, who writes this crap?

A cool poster it is, but I don't really like the tagline. References to Sixth Sense and Signs are a bit vulgar, in my opinion. Less vulgar than a ring turning into alethiometer, but still, who writes this crap?
True. (Iwouldn't use 'vulgar' though but the quote happening and even the photo and everything are almost identical.

I like it. I think the tagline is a signal to his fans that he's returning to what he does best, personally.

Definitely hyped for this one. Night knows suspense, so I'm eager to see what he does with the leeway an R rating will give him.

Lets put a smile on that block
I like it. I think the tagline is a signal to his fans that he's returning to what he does best, personally.

Definitely hyped for this one. Night knows suspense, so I'm eager to see what he does with the leeway an R rating will give him.
I totally agree, i don't think it's an oversight that there is no reference there made to The Village or LITW, this is a return to his horror roots, (even though Village was horror but just didnt do too well) and like you say, he is really gonna be able to push the boat out with an R rating. I can't fricking wait.

My life isn't written very well.
Reminds me a little of "Cloverfield". Or "I Am Legend". Haven't seen the trailer though so I don't know...

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

The Adventure Starts Here!
I hope this isn't another instance of an apocalyptic-type movie gone bad again (a la I Am Legend). I think there is so much potential for movies like this, and so few live up to the over-arching concept.

I think I read too much Stephen King, who does apocalyptic characters and situations so well. Those things are always great on paper and then disappoint me whenever they hit the screen (although The Mist was a hooting good time and suspenseful in all the right ways).

The Adventure Starts Here!
Night does do suspense well, so I expect that part will be perfect. This poster, though, reminds me too much of other movies that have used the "cars scattered and abandoned or stacked up on the road" scene: I Am Legend most recently, but also The Stand and Deep Impact and well, the list is endless.

Great title. "Hey there hepcats, don't forget to bring your bong and hotpants to... The Happening. Swinging Gear! Wiild!" Ooooooh I'm terrified. Okay sorry for being terrified, it just seems like MNS takes this stuff all very seriously.