King Kong

→ in
Tools    

I just know they're coming to kill me.
I'll just keep this short and sweet...

I loved the film, just thought it was too long for King Kong adventure. I thought that the Skull Island sequence was a little too much and less of 1933 New York, and not enough action. That's all in my opinion, feel free to state yours.

Anywho, my final grade?

8/10

I also forgot to say that I loved how Jackson paid tribute to the original Kong in various ways, primarilly the music. That to me was a spectacular treat, and it showed how he really did love this film.

I also enjoyed how Danem's realization of how bad things were going when he suddenly started helping out the others trapped down in the hole with the bugs by swinging away. I just loved that.

Kong did need an update, and this worked.
I do agree with you about not enough action.

Great now i know what im watchin tommorow.

Every moment that Kong is around= wonderful.

The rest= meh.

Definitely worth seeing on the big screen, and don't worry if you turn up an hour late, you won't have missed much.

Watts and Serkis are a great screen couple. Watts and Brody, er, not so much.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Ok guys,
Haven't been around for a while, but I figured I would come on and throw in my two cents for King Kong...

Ok, starting off, it has a good build up of characters, you see why Carl is so adamant about making a name for himself. I agree with some of the comments, the sequence on Skull Island was drawn out for way too long.

But Pete Jackson was just trying to get the story of this misunderstood gorilla across to viewers.

Overall, it was a good movie, my @ss was a little sore afterwards, and I had to get up early the next morning to go to work, but it was a sacrifice that I was willing to make..

Go see it on the big screen!!
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

it was all 1933 new york...jackson did a superb job recreating a few thing right down to the empire state building....

i don't believe that there was a need to make another one tho, although the actions of the big ape and the dinos were more realistic

however there were plenty of things that annoyed me...

1st...isn't ann freezing when she walks toward kong in the snowy streets of new york

2nd...can someone tell me how kong can slide on a frozen pond in central park without falling through the water....that's no skating rink he's on...

3rd..how does denham know to call the ape kong in the first place? no one ever told him what his name was

other than that the scenes on skull island were too long and drawn out as was the kong's time in new york

and ann darrow's devotion to kong made little sense to me...alright he did save her life but lets get realistic here....

There was actually some deleted scenes that weren't in the film that but were in the teaser trailer. I'm pretty sure these are those deleted scenes:

- When Ann is about to bored the ship and Jack looks at her.

- Denham's voice-over leading to that part (I might be wrong on this but I don't think I remember hearing/seeing it on the final film)

- When the cast and crew is on Skull Island and Ann screams and you hear Kong's roar, and Denham says "Herb, get the camera."

- Jack running and saying "They've taken Ann!"

- That thing in the water creeping up to the boat

- The guy who's in charge of Jimmy sticks up a Tommy gun to an approaching raptor

- Jack (you'll have to watch in slo-mo in Quick Time to actually see that it's him) going down into the water

- Jimmy screaming "Help!"

- And I think that it was different in the film - Kong doesn't jump on-screen like the way he does in the teaser and roar at the T-Rex the same way he did on the film.

Anywho, that's what I noticed. Do you guys agree or no?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
- And I think that it was different in the film - Kong doesn't jump on-screen like the way he does in the teaser and roar at the T-Rex the same way he did on the film.
Well, if not spot on, it was pretty damn close to the trailer.

Originally Posted by susan
3rd..how does denham know to call the ape kong in the first place? no one ever told him what his name was
Well you can hear the natives chanting Kong, whether Carl had heard that or not is really the question.

I also agree with the pond Kong is sliding on. It's hard to believe a 25-foot tall ape, who could wrastle a T-Rex and break its jaw open, could actually stand on a frozen pond without breaking the ice.

Is it long and drawn out, yes. Does it seem that some of the less important scenes are dwelled upon, but the more intense scenes are gone in a blink of an eye, yes. It is fun to watch, of course.

I think Ice can hold him up. I've seen ice where many cars and trucks used to cross. I'm sure there can be a buildup of ice thick eough to hold that ape.

3 things bothered me about the film though as much as I loved it.

Spoilers

1. A little too much with the men running though the legs of the many dinasours. Nobody would have come out of that alive.

2. Why did Kong not feel that those gigantic bats would be a threat? He must have realized this before. Would he dare chance sleeping with them and his woman around? He should have known that Island and its predators like the back of his hand.

3. Didnt like the way that kid was shooting the insects perfeclty while they were on his friends back. He could barely hold the thing straight while he was shooting.

I guess I was the only one to notice the deleted scenes in the teaser then?
Well, you guessed wrong.

I guess I was the only one to notice the deleted scenes in the teaser then?

Have not seen this yet, is there something in the trailer that is misleading?

Originally Posted by 7thson
Have not seen this yet, is there something in the trailer that is misleading?
No. There are just a few minor things that have been cut or changed. Nothing major.

1st...isn't ann freezing when she walks toward kong in the snowy streets of new york

That crossed my mind too but the scene wouldn't have had the same impact if she was in a winter coat and galoshes. As it was, it was one of the best scenes in the movie.

2nd...can someone tell me how kong can slide on a frozen pond in central park without falling through the water....that's no skating rink he's on...

Again, you may have a logical point but the scene served to introduce Kong's playful nature and his relationship with Ann. He's not just a killer beast.

other than that the scenes on skull island were too long and drawn out as was the kong's time in new york

I thought the first part was a little long. I think it was 75 minutes before they got to Skull Island. I was fine with the second and third parts.

and ann darrow's devotion to kong made little sense to me...alright he did save her life but lets get realistic here....

He became her protector. She was dead meat without him. Anyone who took on three Trexes to save me would probably get my devotion. And women love a misunderstood bad boy. Kong was the ultimate bad boy.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Yeah it was long, but I honestly can't think of a moment that could've been cut. And the relationship between Kong and Ann worked wonders; you really cared about what would happen between the two of them. When Ann is rescued/stolen from Kong, you can tell Kong is shouting "No!" in gorilla speak (a damn sight more believable than "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" in Revenge of the Sith *cringes*).

Also, just like Revenge of the Sith, there was a nagging thought at the back of my mind. I knew what was coming, how the story would end. No matter how lovely things were on screen I knew it could never last, I knew it would end in tragedy. And it was horrible. Not in an "Oh god, what a **** film" sort of way, but an "Oh please, let them be happy" feeling. Kong's demise may not have been as heartwrenching as I was led to believe, but his capture and subsequent freakshow star status broke my heart. My mind was shouting "Leave him alone! Let him go!", but they wouldn't.

I've never felt this way over a cgi character, or many others I might add. This is truly a masterpiece, and a classic at that.

Thankyou Peter Jackson. You've done it!

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
i caught kong yesterday and really enjoyed it. there were a couple of scenes that could've been snipped and never missed - things that didn't advance the plot and were covered in other beats (particularly beauty and the beast on ice) - but it's a very fun watch, and quite touching. naomi watts did an amazing job, with what had to be mostly blue-screen and her own imagination during the filming.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
i caught kong yesterday and really enjoyed it. there were a couple of scenes that could've been snipped and never missed - things that didn't advance the plot and were covered in other beats
Yeah, I saw it again today, and we were talking about how the first dinosaur sequence could have been shorter, and how the log-falling/giant bug-fighting scene. That served no purpose

Originally Posted by SamsonDelilah
(particularly beauty and the beast on ice)
I loved that scene! I loved the playfulness and the happiness of it all, even though tragety is looming so close. That, I think, is one of the better scenes.

it was a good scene (the ice) but highly unbelieveable...if it was in a rink it would have been fine, but if he crashed through a theatre, then there was no way he could slide on the ice...and besides central park was way too empty...

there was plenty of playfulness when after ann was doing her vaudeville act, falling down and standing up, then kong started to knock her down...