Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

→ in
Tools    

Happy New Year from Philly!
GluttonMonster, I couldn't agree more with your analysis of this film. The worst thing was the elimination of the incidental music which drives the play. Bad move on Burton's part.

Will.15 I don't see how vengeance or the blaming of society for one's problems or attachment and desire are less believable or less entertaining than greed may be as a motivating force.

Sweeney Todd the musical owes more to Grand Guignol theater than to the penny dreadful novel.

Here is a short history of Grand Guignol which mentions the need for comedy to lighten things psychologically between rapes and murders in this most bloodthirsty drama.

http://www.grandguignol.com/history.htm

I disagree, it's a movie not a play. The movie was unlike just about every other film I've ever seen. If Burton just followed the play to a tee then I bet it most that loved the play would have just complained that he didn't take it and make it his own.

I think he not only accomplished making it his own but created a new genre in film. Horror/Musical/Comedy/Love story? Brilliant I says.

I get that its not the same as the play. But I haven't seen the play. And I may not. I do love this movie though. It's one of the most original films, ever.

As always though, your mileage just varies is all.

^Actually, all the creative aspects (sans some of the visuals, perhaps) were taken from the play. The movie's story and much of its script all derived from the original musical. You can't really credit Burton for it's "originality".

When you look at the technicalities of the two, they're rather similar. It's the execution of the film that differs so much from the play and, in my opinion, doesn't give the original justice.

GluttonMonster, I couldn't agree more with your analysis of this film. The worst thing was the elimination of the incidental music which drives the play. Bad move on Burton's part.

Will.15 I don't see how vengeance or the blaming of society for one's problems or attachment and desire are less believable or less entertaining than greed may be as a motivating force.

Sweeney Todd the musical owes more to Grand Guignol theater than to the penny dreadful novel.

Here is a short history of Grand Guignol which mentions the need for comedy to lighten things psychologically between rapes and murders in this most bloodthirsty drama.

http://www.grandguignol.com/history.htm
Sorry for answering this so late - the internet and I have had some disagreements, lately. Thanks for responding - I'm glad you agreed with my review. It's nice to know I'm making some sense. I'll have to take a look at that link.