The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah I found it pretty insipid in the end. But then I really hate chapter-based campaign games on the whole, so wasn't super surprised. It definitely didn't feel like it was going to elevate anywhere particularly far or fast, and the 'I'm in an X-Wing!' factor couldn't make up for that.

Can't speak to the graphics, because I was in VR . And you kind of expect them to be rougher there. (The actual character models and ship interiors looked sweet enough with that VR twist though. Headlooking around as you flip around stuff is def plus amongst all that.)

Keep meaning to really get comfy with the flight model and go mess around in the arena, but nah. Not feeling it... Might as well just Elite if I want to fly through explosions in VR.
I can't remember. Are you using VR for PC?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

there's a frog in my snake oil
I can't remember. Are you using VR for PC?
Yeah PCVR. A (now slightly ageing) Rift CV1.

PS Just in case your getting any crazy ideas about diving in, I ended up having to buy a 1080 GPU, and a better CPU, to get the graphics in a place where I was happy (enough) with em. And I'm not that snobby about graphics / aliasing etc generally. VR purchasing is still a slippery slope right now

(I'm intrigued by the stand-alone Rift that arrived recently though. Onboard GPU for wireless play, with more cartoony graphics. Then you can wire it to your PC if you've got it to use that oomph. Might be the way I go when this head brick finally departs )

Any of you guys played Katana Zero?

Really fun side-scroller that I think serves as a great example of the problem I have with a lot of modern video games, that problem being story. It feels as though every modern developer wants to put a movie story in a video game medium, and that just doesn't really work. Games like Red Dead Redemption 2 are awesome narratively, but that leaves the gameplay really dry and not fun. You want the player to anticipate playing the game, not dread it. And that's where I think something like Katana Zero shines. It understands the purpose of a video game narrative should be to motivate gameplay, and make what your doing feel meaningful. It does this by starting off relatively cryptic before starting to lift the lid on narrative details, making you want to find out more. It blows all these other ****show games out of the water by showing you can have a compelling narrative while not bogging down the game with drawn out cut scenes and boring "slowly travel from one cutscene to the next" missions. The genre helps this, but I think by comparing these things I can hopefully demonstrate what I look for in a game narrative (besides just having something super basic like Mario, which I think is the right choice a good amount of the time.

You also get to kill people with a sword so that's pretty cool I guess

Any of you guys played Katana Zero?

Really fun side-scroller that I think serves as a great example of the problem I have with a lot of modern video games, that problem being story. It feels as though every modern developer wants to put a movie story in a video game medium, and that just doesn't really work. Games like Red Dead Redemption 2 are awesome narratively, but that leaves the gameplay really dry and not fun. You want the player to anticipate playing the game, not dread it. And that's where I think something like Katana Zero shines. It understands the purpose of a video game narrative should be to motivate gameplay, and make what your doing feel meaningful. It does this by starting off relatively cryptic before starting to lift the lid on narrative details, making you want to find out more. It blows all these other ****show games out of the water by showing you can have a compelling narrative while not bogging down the game with drawn out cut scenes and boring "slowly travel from one cutscene to the next" missions. The genre helps this, but I think by comparing these things I can hopefully demonstrate what I look for in a game narrative (besides just having something super basic like Mario, which I think is the right choice a good amount of the time.

You also get to kill people with a sword so that's pretty cool I guess
reminds me of ghostrunner on the ps4 with the sword

The People's Republic of Clogher
I bought Hitman III and there really isn't that much to say about it. If you're a fan of the previous two games you'll like this one because it's more of the same - intricately designed maps, almost limitless ways to accomplish your objectives and the best NPC incidental dialogue in the business.

As with Hitman II, you can import the levels from previous games (if you own them on that platform) but it's MUCH more streamlined this time round with just a couple of store unlocks to click instead of multiple hefty downloads.

If you weren't a fan of the Hitman series then, 1: You'll probably not enjoy this one either and, 2: You're a hallion.

I bought Hitman III and there really isn't that much to say about it. If you're a fan of the previous two games you'll like this one because it's more of the same - intricately designed maps, almost limitless ways to accomplish your objectives and the best NPC incidental dialogue in the business.

As with Hitman II, you can import the levels from previous games (if you own them on that platform) but it's MUCH more streamlined this time round with just a couple of store unlocks to click instead of multiple hefty downloads.

If you weren't a fan of the Hitman series then, 1: You'll probably not enjoy this one either and, 2: You're a hallion.

i only played hitman blood money . i heard hitman 3 story is so short

The People's Republic of Clogher
None of the campaigns in the previous games have been that long either, but as the maps are designed to be played multiple times it's never really been a problem.

This is totally random, but if you've ever wondered where that voice sample comes from in the Xenogears boss fight music, it's from the manslaughter trial of Christian Brando, Marlon Brando's son, of all things:

It's also used in a song from Command & Conquer: Renegade, which you can find in that Twitter discussion. Using random samples in songs is one of the stranger '90s trends. Besides the Arabic chanting in Ocarina of Time's Fire Temple theme, I can't recall any other video game tunes that do that. I do remember there being a random conversation about vests from a fishing show in Underworld's song Jumbo.

Restarting Bioshock has been great. Controls are a bit sluggish next to recent gaming experiences, but wow is this game still fun. Audio is all over the place though, I have to confess. I hear splicers around corners then the audio jumps across the room in the opposite direction. Model details, graphics and textures are dated too, but so what. I'm not even noticing it. The game is excellent.

You ready? You look ready.
Who's up for some Zork?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/a...=pocket-newtab
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Final Fantasy III

I'm in the middle of two, (of the same), game(s). Final Fantasy III on the NES platform, (which on my Raspberry Pi has been given an English Translation.) And then at the same time switching between this title and trying out the Final Fantasy III title on the Nintendo DS reboot. I'm hoping to learn more about this title between my goings of it back-and-forth, and writing a review and histories of it on my own personal blog.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Also,

I recently bought a 24" CRT TV for Retro Gaming and I'm setting it up in my room. I've also looked into a TV Stand for it and when I get it all set up I hope to maybe show some pics.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I had all of those back when they were DOS-based games. Still have them on floppy disks somewhere. I kept playing them on computers I had for as long as I could until they just didn't work anymore. But now you can get them through... was it Epic Games where I rebought them recently? Unsure, but I think it was Epic.

Anyway, I want to go back and play them all again, since I barely remember anything about them. The last few were GUI-based instead of DOS, but boy, those text-based early games were fun and frustrating!

I remember typing cuss words at a troll that happened upon me at the start of a game and the log replied something like, "what foul language you speak." Cracked me and my friend up. We died of course. I also had a Zork find your fate book in like 4th grade. That was fun.

You ready? You look ready.
Just saw they are releasing Mass Effect again in 4K. I might buy into that as it is a little dated. Looks damn good.

@doubledenim: That DuckTales game was da bomb when I was little. Hard AF tho.

A system of cells interlinked
No, it was through GOG that I rebought the earlier Zork games, not Epic!
You can play all the Zork games for free on the web. A couple of years ago, when Lisa and I, and another couple rented a winter cabin next to frozen lake in NH, we sat around playing the first Zork, with one person reading and the rest of us discussing what to do etc. We got a decent amount of the way in, but then ended up getting stuck at one point, I don't think we ever ended up going back to it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Final Fantasy III

I'm in the middle of two, (of the same), game(s). Final Fantasy III on the NES platform, (which on my Raspberry Pi has been given an English Translation.) And then at the same time switching between this title and trying out the Final Fantasy III title on the Nintendo DS reboot. I'm hoping to learn more about this title between my goings of it back-and-forth, and writing a review and histories of it on my own personal blog.
7 is the only one I played from start to finish and was amazing. I should try another sometime.