The Descendants

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Anybody who has been a part of tragedy can relate to The Descendants, a film that strikes us with the reality and harsh truth that can make us believe that life is something that really shouldn't be taken for granted.

Enter Matt King, a land baron who will be making a huge decision on family land that was handed down to him from generations ago, who is suddenly struck with tragedy when his wife suffers a life-threatening boating accident on the coasts of homeland Hawaii. This sets the tone for Matt to re-think everything about his life, majorly realizing that he can no longer be the "2nd option" parent to take care of his two daughters, Alex and Scottie. Reality doesn't set in with the two daughters early on but it progresses into a harsh reality as the film goes along. For starters, Alex says some things that she probably doesn't mean due to an arguement stemming back from Christmas with her mother, which we find to be a result of an affair that she was having with a man who suddenly becomes linked to having an opportunity for King's land.

The story itself is emotionally paced, as you get to have a feeling for what each of the characters is going through. The characters emotions also continually feed on each other and we see the 3 of them grow closer and closer as the story goes along. There are lots of moments where one watching the film could need a kleenex, regardless of who you are.

George Clooney gives a performance for the ages. Act by act, we see how much he grows as a person. I'd say an oscar would be well deserved for a performance like this. Clooney realizes that while his wife may not have been true to him, he still needs to hold it all together for his and his families sake. The roller coaster of emotions that he has went through were monumental and you could feel for the guy.

I also think Shailene Woodley got robbed of a supporting nomination. She goes from being the badass teenager to someone who has reconnected with her family. Her remorse for all that has happened may seem stubborn but it does eventually come full circle at the end of the film. I know that a lot of people weren't happy with the inclusion of the Sid character, but I do believe that a small bit of comic relief didn't ruin the film. The biggest thing was that it was a character whom Alex could relate to.

As for Payne, what a great directing job, as he claws you to the family as though you hold some part in their emotions.

Overall, I thought the film was the best of the year and would be well deserved of an oscar if you ask me. It was one of the better films that I have seen in the past couple of years.

Great film. I'd rather see The Artist win Best Picture, but this is my second choice.

I have to say that the plot is...well we have all seen it before in one way or another, but i have to say it was well acted and i did enjoy it. I heard George Clooney may be up for the award and after this performance i have to say i think he deserves.

-

Just seen The Descendants, excellent cinematography of gorgeous filming locations. Well acted by a good looking cast. Touching story with a subtle twist. It's the overall subtlety throughout the film that makes it so engaging. Requires the right mood and some patience. I would say top ten of 2011 for sure.
+