How often do you watch asian films?

Tools    

“I was cured, all right!”
It is not every day that we see Asian films gain the spotlight of the specialized media and much of the public here in South America thinks that cinema is just Hollywood! Personally, I believe that Asian cinema has much more to offer these days than Hollywood because new ideas are more common there, and even consecrated formulas are better used.
How is the 'Asian Cinema Scene' in North America or in your current country (even if it is not in North America)? Do you usually miss seeing a movie because it's Asian? Why? and how often do you watch asian films?
I am curious about your opinion since we have members scattered all over the world!
Cheers

Central EU: you mean only a new releases? you wouldn't be able to see them in commercial cinemas here unless some real blockbusters (e.g. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and similar). you need to go to non commercial cinemas or university clubs to see old or new Asian stuff. It is mostly about Hollywood and/or European films.

It is not every day that we see Asian films gain the spotlight of the specialized media and much of the public here in South America thinks that cinema is just Hollywood! Personally, I believe that Asian cinema has much more to offer these days than Hollywood because new ideas are more common there, and even consecrated formulas are better used.
How is the 'Asian Cinema Scene' in North America or in your current country (even if it is not in North America)? Do you usually miss seeing a movie because it's Asian? Why? and how often do you watch asian films?
I am curious about your opinion since we have members scattered all over the world!
Cheers
Pretty much never, I have to say. I'm in the UK but as to the level of interest and screening of Asian films here I couldn't tell you.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I used to watch reruns of an old samurai show when I was a kid, then properly got into movies when I lived in Japan. Occasionally watch asian movies now but not if they're dubbed; only subtitled.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Never.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I used to watch reruns of an old samurai show when I was a kid, then properly got into movies when I lived in Japan. Occasionally watch asian movies now but not if they're dubbed; only subtitled.
i don't watch them dubbed either. It's much better with subtitles.

i don't watch them dubbed either. It's much better with subtitles.
Dubbing is horrendous. I just cannot deal with it.

I think I saw another thread on sian film recently.

i don't watch them dubbed either.
Dubbing is evil. I once saw a delightful film from Mongolia. Re-visited it a few years later & now everyone spoke with an American accent.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
couple of times a month. Grew up with Japanese and Mandarin/Cantonese films. REALLY got into Korean films over the last few years. Absolutely love 'em.

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
All the time. I've always loved Asian cinema, especially martial arts films like Kung Fu Hustle, Ip Man, Hero, etc.

I do like their war films, classic Chinese war films do have a lot of charm (unless they are politically charged- then they're crap).

I've never seen the classic Japanese samurai films like Seven Samurai and such, although I should. I've heard great things about them.

I've also NEVER seen a Bollywood film. They just don't seem to have as much appeal, although i've heard that there are quite a lot of good ones (I mean, at the rate that Bollywood produces films there HAS to be a couple of good ones, right?).

Currently looking at the supposedly fantastic Raid series, Raid 2 in particular.
Looks to me like a Indonesian Tarantino film.That's a new one.

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
我從來沒有看過亞洲電影。
My Traditional Chinese is bad but I was able to decipher it.

I guess that's from Google Translate or a friend? I doubt a fluent Mandarin speaker (at least, writer) would've never seen any Asian films...

Or it's just a joke.

Welcome to the human race...
So far this year I've seen 10 Asian films out of 228 total, which does seem really low compared to earlier years (such as last year where I watched 5 Japanese films in the space of one weekend). I don't know how much of that is down to opportunity or priorities or what-have-you - I just watch what I can I daresay it's going to get harder to keep up with new releases between a lack of cinema/DVD distribution (which has always been a bit of a problem in Australia), video stores closing down (and vending machines limiting their selection to mainstream English-language fare), and the unreliable libraries of streaming services (such as Netflix recently dumping all the Shaw Brothers movies they had on file without warning). Still, gotta keep trying.

I think of all the Geographical film categories (Asian, Bollywood, European, Hollywood etc) Asian is the one with the highest hit rate of great movies. Specifically East Asian.

I actually can't remember a single dud that I've watched, maybe 'The Host'. I didn't like that much. But I try to watch 10 or 15 East Asian films a year. I recently enjoyed 'Kikujiro', 'Like Father like Son', 'Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring'. There's even some great cinema coming out of countries like Iran and Turkey these days. I need to catch up on more films from KJoreeda, Ki Duk-Kim and Wong Kar-wai.

'The Handmaiden' was my favourite film of 2016. I thought it was brilliant.

I don't understand people who are put off by Asian cinema / subtitles. I mean what are the chances that the best films you've ever seen are the ones in your language?