How do you feel about violence in movies?

Tools    

So we've entered people who can watch violence in films are sociopaths claims now? Thought we were above that, even above and (From) beyond that I amuse myself. Anyway that @FromBeyond post is the most uppity nonsensical thing i've read since i read my last @FromBeyond post. It's about 90% fine, i get where you are coming from @FromBeyond then bam everyone who doesn't have the same tendencies as me are wrong. Just the worst kind of comment.

I don't watch any films like that ever so i'm not being defensive but i know some great people here and elsewhere who do and your "i don't care about their excuses" is just the worst especially because it assumes that anyone has to excuse theirselves for enjoying something.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Because some people, (they know who they are so I won't mention any names ), like to cause trouble sometimes.

I still haven't seen La La Land, but it's at the top of my watchlist of movies from 2016. I might even blind buy the DVD if I can find a good sale on it when it's released.
I really liked it, gb. I don't just watch pump em up shows.It's a charming movie.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
One scene in particular that I find to be simple yet effective is in 8mm, when Cage's character after watching the Snuff movie [and is visually disturbed by it] goes home and is looking at his baby on the crib and you can hear the sound of the reeling tape machine playing.

I find that kind of violence [unseen but suggested] far more effective than full blown gore fest.

Master of My Domain
Best scenes in Whiplash were all the violent scenes.
Hey hey, drum set abuse is nothing to laugh about.

So we've entered people who can watch violence in films are sociopaths claims now?
heh

Welcome to the human race...
If watching violent movies makes you a sociopath, imagine what would happen if you watched anti-feminist YouTube videos.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
If watching violent movies makes you a sociopath, imagine what would happen if you watched anti-feminist YouTube videos.
If you happen to be a feminist and shake your head in disgust, what are they gonna do about it?

I don't mind on screen violence, but I don't like movies that are just violent beyond belief. The occasional violent and bloody death is fine, but some movies just overdo it. Its when the special effects department gets involved in big budget movies that it goes horribly wrong in my opinion, with huge explosions that just would not happen in real life. When cars explode with the force of a small bomb after crashing into a lamp post (for example) that's when I think to myself, "Oh come on!!!"

So in general, I'm fine with on screen violence....but keep it believable.

The truth is in here
Sometimes violence is too tame, so that it comes off as unrealistic.

Sometimes it's too over-the-top to take seriously (Saw 3D, what a joke of a movie).

But from a moral standpoint, I'm not against any form of movie violence.

One scene in particular that I find to be simple yet effective is in 8mm, when Cage's character after watching the Snuff movie [and is visually disturbed by it] goes home and is looking at his baby on the crib and you can hear the sound of the reeling tape machine playing.

I find that kind of violence [unseen but suggested] far more effective than full blown gore fest.
Same for me. I can watch violence on screen and not lose sight of the fact that it's all make believe, but sound can get me, or something happening off screen.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Same for me. I can watch violence on screen and not lose sight of the fact that it's all make believe, but sound can get me, or something happening off screen.
for sure. Sometimes an innuendo is all that takes. A certain way a character looks or something simple that he/she says or even [in that case] a sound.

Suggestion is a powerful thing.

Well it's all pretend so....

But I suppose it depends on the genre and/or if they glorify or show the horror of it. So like a war film can't really glorify all the casualties, but a Friday the 13th can.

I can't remember if you watched Fuller's Hannibal but the sound editing in that frequently got me. The bullroarer curled my hair. I might have even screamed and thrown the remote control having a rewatch in the dark at stupid o'clock one morning. Very clever composer.

I don't really have much to say about it because I don't really understand why anyone would like watching violence, especially graphic violence. But I'm sure that most of the people who like watching violent movies don't understand why I love watching musicals, (and rom-coms), so I guess we're even.

*raises hand* That would be me! Making me watch a musical is like giving a cat a bath.