How do you feel about violence in movies?

Tools    

Oh... it's worse. The very fact that the girl survives to exact revenge attests to that. But, the scenarios are oh so fitting with each one having a direct parallel to what the criminals did to her, but with far worse, more horrible and more permanent results. She was apparently very imaginative & creative (or her trauma made her so).

And there are two newer sequels - I've only seen one of them: ISOYG 2 which is not a direct sequel because it involves a completely different character with a similar story. The third one is called "Vengeance is Mine" and apparently involves the girl from the first movie.
Why Steel, you definitely know how to advertise a movie, I'm hooked. I might check it out

Where is @gbgoodies at? She LOVES violent movies.
In that case, I like her already.

i really don't know why I have blood lust. Most of the members of my family don't like screen violence or horror, except my 16 year old niece. She's a very sweet young animal lover and I think has gone vego, so I don't know where we get it from. My parents weren't into horror except with things like The Portrait of Dorian Gray which they thought was a classic i should see when I was a kid and it gave me nightmares. Even worse, they thought it was a great idea we watch historical war documentaries as a family. Gave me even worse nightmares.
One of my fav violent films is Australian. The Horseman.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Thanks Nesto. All is forgiven.

Wait, you're not tricking me again, are you?

Cat, a lot of aussie films are very violent. Must be our convict heritage.

Weirdly, i think one of the sexual assualt scenes that affected me most was in American Honey
WARNING: "american honey" spoilers below
the guy groping her while dancing at the start.
It's ridiculously tame compared to some other stuff i've seen but i think the implications and how well shot/built up it is got really under my skin. I know that's barely related to what you guys are talking about (i saw Spit On Your Grave so i ran with it) but it came to mind after i was just talking about American Honey with Cricket.

I posted this about it:

WARNING: "american honey" spoilers below
It had such a great realistic feel to it but at the same time it was i dunno how to put it pretty nasty/trashy at times, some scenes were genuinely tough to sit through and all the more so because it was so well directed. As an example: she has a weird living situation at the start that isn't made entirely clear she takes care of two young kids but it doesn't say if they are related to her or what (they don't look like her and we later find out Stars mum is dead while these kids mum is alive so i'm going to guess she isn't), their father is a slimy drunk who forces her to dance with him while he gropes her. This 30 second scene where all you see is him grabbing her backside was honestly more disturbing to me than scenes that were ten times worse in content, it was a combination of; the implication that this was a regular occurence from Stars apprehensiveness around him even though he is in the film for a minute or two at the most, Stars genuine terror expressed through this deep natural feeling sobbing and how close you feel to it; it feels almost like you are in the middle of it.

Here - http://www.movieforums.com/community...96#post1616696

Romper Stomper is a good one, cat. Kickstarted Russell Crowe's career.

Why Steel, you definitely know how to advertise a movie, I'm hooked. I might check it out
If you like that sort of thing (rape, revenge, torture and graphic violence). I just thought the remake was a far better overall movie (due to the aspects I mentioned) than the original which, despite its reputation, is just 70's schlock - even the villains are campy at times and the revenge seems rather mundane. The remake is updated (with things like cell phone video which plays into the plot), but the revenge in the remake is just so calculated, horrifying & extreme that you don't know whether to start feeling sorry for the villains or delight in the fact that those who really deserve it finally get what's coming to them (and then some).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Where is @gbgoodies at? She LOVES violent movies.
I've been staying out of this thread because most people here already know my opinion about violent movies, so I didn't feel the need to repeat myself, but I forgot about the influx of new members from IMDB and other places.

In that case, I like her already.
Just to let you know, he's lying about me. I HATE violent movies, especially movies that use violence just for the sake of violence and/or shock value. I understand that there are sometimes genuine reasons for violence in movies, and I can appreciate some movies that have a good story, even if there's some violence in the movie, but in general, if a movie is extremely violent, I won't like it.

Just to let you know, he's lying about me. I HATE violent movies, especially movies that use violence just for the sake of violence and/or shock value. I understand that there are sometimes genuine reasons for violence in movies, and I can appreciate some movies that have a good story, even if there's some violence in the movie, but in general, if a movie is extremely violent, I won't like it.

Oh bugger. I think I was being made fun of, not you. I get tricked here because I'm a newb. You can still join in the convo, though.I'm interested in your Pov.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I love violence as long as it fits the story and is well-choreographed. The only thing I can't stand is badly-staged action which looks fake and doesn't impress.

You will like gbgoodies, Dani. But she only comes out at night!
Is she a vampire, Cap? Even better. Woooo.

It's good to talk to people about a shared love of a genre, and dislike of another. I don't know why I dislike musicals when I like opera and bollywood.

Not quite a vampire, but not far from it. I work in a home office during the week, so I can make my own hours. I usually wake up around Noon-1 PM, then I work most of the day, take a break around dinner time, and then work on my computer through the night. I usually go to sleep around 5-6 AM, so I can get up bright and early around Noon-1 PM and start the next day.

BTW, it sounds like we're opposites on genres. I LOVE musicals, but I don't like opera, (except "The Phantom of the Opera" Broadway musical), and I don't think I've ever seen a Bollywood movie.

Oh bugger. I think I was being made fun of, not you. I get tricked here because I'm a newb. You can still join in the convo, though.I'm interested in your Pov.

I don't really have much to say about it because I don't really understand why anyone would like watching violence, especially graphic violence. But I'm sure that most of the people who like watching violent movies don't understand why I love watching musicals, (and rom-coms), so I guess we're even.

I don't really have much to say about it because I don't really understand why anyone would like watching violence, especially graphic violence. But I'm sure that most of the people who like watching violent movies don't understand why I love watching musicals, (and rom-coms), so I guess we're even.

That's fair enough. We all have different taste. I'm just curious why your name was brought in here. hey, i really liked La La Land if that helps.

I don't like strong violence, I have a running argument with my friend about what constitutes a horror film, for him horror has to mean horror, I say for film it doesn't have to mean horror... nobody can tell me that "Dolls" is not a horror film. My biggest problem is with human on human violence, any kind of torture.. as I got older even more so I avoid anything like that.. even the hostel films are too much for me, I only watched the first one, I ****ing hate Eli Roth, I won't watch human centipede, I don't like the texas chainsaw massacre... recently "A walk among the tombstones" really made me feel sick with the violence and I had to turn it off halfway through and seriously considered watching no more.. even Tarantino pisses me off sometimes, like "Death Proof" a crap film with a mean heart.

I know there are many dark things in this world, I don't want to be privvy to all of it, I don't think it's good or entertaining and for people who go out of their way to push their boundaries and watch fake snuff are lacking in some kind of empathy, I don't even care for their excuses, there are the existence of some films I have read about that I wish didn't exist.

for people who go out of their way to push their boundaries and watch fake snuff are lacking in some kind of empathy,
i appreciate your sentiment; I really do, but I watch simulated snuff films. I have said why I do. I don't watch them all the time but there is a reason I do it from time to time. It's not because I lack empathy and anyone who knows me in the real world would scoff at your suggestion. would I watch real snuff? if it existed, no way in hell.

I don't mind violence in films if it has the purpose and if it's a way to express social commentary. However I hate it when directors use violence as a shock value, just so they could leave an impression on the viewers.

That's fair enough. We all have different taste. I'm just curious why your name was brought in here. hey, i really liked La La Land if that helps.
gbgoodies was invoked because her stance on violence in movies is well known on this site, so MovieMeditation made a joke by asking where gbg was and by saying the opposite about her known feeling about violence (i.e. sarcasm).

Because some people, (they know who they are so I won't mention any names ), like to cause trouble sometimes.

I still haven't seen La La Land, but it's at the top of my watchlist of movies from 2016. I might even blind buy the DVD if I can find a good sale on it when it's released.