Retirements

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Use this thread to suggest anything you believe needs to quit being done, said, used or just put on the shelf.

game changer - a newly introduced element or factor that changes an existing situation or activity in a significant way.

The key term here is significant. How many times a day do you hear about some new item or method that is a game changer? Nowadays when I hear this term, it's a red flag that I need to move on to something else.

Oh, absolutely, honeykid. Eddie Izzard has just gotta go. Never found him funny.

The overuse of the term "not so much." It's been used for a long time, no doubt, but in the last few years, it's gone overboard in use, from every other friend on Facebook to nightly news anchors. Just use some slang like, "nah!" or "not like you'd assume" or "not the amount you'd think, you jackass!"

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This thread is awesome, a game changer if you will. Do I have any suggestions? Nah.

Suspect's Reviews

This thread is awesome? Nobody's posting in it. It's like one of my threads.

I think you missed something, SC.

The phrase "what are you like?":mad It's even more annoying that "Oh my days." Though that's probably meant to be spelt with a "z".

The term "amazeballs"----I've been hearing this for several years now, and I even heard a major news network anchor use it the other day and the fact that I hate this term and I dislike the anchor made me doubly sick.

I think you missed something, SC.

The phrase "what are you like?":mad It's even more annoying that "Oh my days." Though that's probably meant to be spelt with a "z".
The one that annoys me is politicians saying 'look' . Tony Blair started it, then all the rest of them do it now. I think it gains them a few milliseconds of thinking time while they consider another way of not answering the question.

The term "amazeballs"----I've been hearing this for several years now, and I even heard a major news network anchor use it the other day and the fact that I hate this term and I dislike the anchor made me doubly sick.
Whereas some people think that's totes amazeballs and totally awesome. You won't be surprised to know that I'm with you on this one. The first time I heard a news reader (US) say "awesome" I think I gave up.

The one that annoys me is politicians saying 'look' . Tony Blair started it, then all the rest of them do it now. I think it gains them a few milliseconds of thinking time while they consider another way of not answering the question.
Yep, that's very annoying. It's usually followed by "what we're saying/doing is..." then they go on to say what they wanted to say before they get around (occasionally) answering the question they were asked in the first place. By the time that's done there probably isn't enough time for a follow up question if they want to ask another of your questions.

Another Blairism is the 'thumb point punctuation' of a speech. So bloody annoying.

"Look this is what were going to do."

I can hear President Obama's voice in my head as I was reading that. I don't think I noticed it being a politician thing before you mentioned it. I have noticed him doing it though. I like the way he speaks so it has never bothered me. Great way to start an impression though, he does the thumb as well.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The worst is old white politicians or news anchormen trying to be hip and use street terms..

"Who let the dogs out?"
-Mitt Romney

I was embarrassed for them, and I was alone watching this....

Another Blairism is the 'thumb point punctuation' of a speech. So bloody annoying.
Bill Clinton did this, too, although a lot of times during the speech, then as a punctuation. It never bothered me too much because people on Saturday Night Live were making fun of him all the time and I couldn't take it too seriously. But I sure noticed it.

If I may temporarily keep it on a political slant, I've noticed that initializing the President of the United States to the shortened POTUS has reached an infestation point. I still sometimes have to stop and ask, "POTUS? What's that again?" And I'm fairly good at abbreviated phrases.

Hipster

Kyle Kinan said it best, "All of a sudden you're 26, riding a unicycle with a golden girls neck tattoo and someone asks you "what do you really like?

Buy a razor.

If I may temporarily keep it on a political slant, I've noticed that initializing the President of the United States to the shortened POTUS has reached an infestation point. I still sometimes have to stop and ask, "POTUS? What's that again?" And I'm fairly good at abbreviated phrases.
Did The West Wing start this? I never remember hearing it before then.

Let the night air cool you off
The worst is old white politicians or news anchormen trying to be hip and use street terms..

"Who let the dogs out?"
-Mitt Romney

I was embarrassed for them, and I was alone watching this....
racist