Mingusing's 50 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

Melancholia, like about 20000 other films, has been on my watchlist for too long.
Same here.

The Tenant is definitey the weak link in Polanski's apartment trilogy imo, but it's still great.
just like Inglorious Basterds in Tarantino filmography ?

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Melancholia, like about 20000 other films, has been on my watchlist for too long.
If you two keep joining the HoF, it won't be long before you have to watch it.

47. Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995)

"Hey, Weiner. You better get ready, cause at three o'clock today, I'm gonna rape you!"

Todd Solondz's masterpiece indie about adolescence is charming, hilarious, disturbing, and, most importantly, dead accurate. The film is a brilliant depiction of junior high school and growing up in general. We see the world through Dawn Wiener's eyes. It's a confusing world, a world where we're not quite sure what to expect around the corner. I love the tone of the movie. Its casual discussion and depiction of some true horrors in our world is both witty and disturbing. Finally, I love how accurate the film is. Anyone who says that the film exaggerates bullying or being picked on is blind to the reality that so many children face everyday. I highly recommend this film to everyone. There's no other movie quite like it.

I watched Welcome to the Dollhouse a few years ago and enjoyed it but didn't love it. I should probably give it a revisit at some point.
Ditto, I watched it because I loved Happiness.

The Tenant is a decent film, but personally I can't even compare to Rosemarys Baby (can't compare to Repulsion either, but that's just since I'm yet to see it), I'll give you an for including a Polanski film early, and for the creepy atmosphere of the film though. I don't care for Melancholia, despite everything going on felt dry, Von Trier is very hit and miss with me. Haven't seen Welcome to the Dollhouse, don't care for the two Solondz films I have seen.

46. Before Sunrise (1995)

"I kind of see this all love as this, escape for two people who don't know how to be alone. People always talk about how love is this totally unselfish, giving thing, but if you think about it, there's nothing more selfish."

Before Sunrise is one of the best romance films I've ever seen. I love how real the film feels. It doesn't even feel like you're watching a movie. It's as though you are just following two people, watching them interact, listening to their conversations. The story is very simple and usual plot devices are put aside to allow the two main characters to flourish. We feel a strong connection to them by the end of the film; it's like we really know these people. I've seen the whole trilogy, but this first entry is definitely my favorite.

I've never seen any of that trilogy. I've told my wife about them and tried to get her to watch that first one last night. She said, "I don't care about any of that romantic sh*t."

45. Ratatouille (2007)

"You must be imaginative, strong-hearted. You must try things that may not work, and you must not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from. Your only limit is your soul."

I knew I wanted a Pixar film on my list. The trouble was choosing my favorite. Ratatouille is simply the most visually beautiful animated film I've ever seen. The look of the city of Paris (I'm a sucker for Paris-set films, check out the previous movie on the list) and of the kitchen is so great because of its attention to detail, and the choreography of some of the more action-oriented scenes is just brilliant. I also love it because it's not just a simple children's movie. It's really a more straightforward film, driven by the plot and characters, with some great, non-overbearing comedy throughout. Definitely check this one out if you get a chance, but don't see it on an empty stomach!