Extended Editions and Director's Cuts

Tools    

I was just recently thinking of watching some recuts of movies I haven't seen in a while (Kingdon Of Heaven, Daredevil), which then got me thinkin...

What are some extended editions or director's cuts you feel are significantly better or worse than their original release? What are some you disliked at first but liked better after giving them a second chance in recut form, and why? Were there any movies that you felt were really ruined for you after watching a recut, such as Donnie Darko?
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

There's a few that I like...

Independence Day
The Abyss
Aliens
Alien 3
Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
RoboCop
Dumb And Dumber

All better when watched Uncut...

I can't think of any others off the top of my head though.

I know of one that it makes no difference with... Alien Vs Predator... my DVD has two versions yet both are rubbish

I haven't seen any director's cuts yet that were worse than their theatrical versions.. I thought that the uncut version of Daredevil was far superior to the theatrical release, and there were little added scenes in the unrated and underrated version of Hannibal Rising that solidified the story for me.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Leon; The Professional retains some exceptional scenes in the director's cut regarding Mathilda's training

i really would like to find a director's cut to Ultraviolet since there seems to be some serious holes in the theatric version

^I think the unrated version of Ultraviolet was the one I watched. It was still a crappy movie.

Total Recall - the new adaptation. The extended cut on the Blu-ray is far better than the cut shown in cinemas.

Salt - The director's cut(not the extended cut with the silly ending) is the best and more violent version, think there are three cuts to choose from on the Blu-ray.

Kingdom of Heaven - Longer director's cut is way superior and more importantly there is more Eva Green in the director's cut.

Donnie Darko - The director's cut is inferior to the original cut, original cut has better use of music too.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
^I think the unrated version of Ultraviolet was the one I watched. It was still a crappy movie.
i agree, but we all have a crappy movie we like to watch again and again. Ultraviolet is mine

Wave that freak flag high, my friend!! LOL
I know right. Cuz I am confident I am one of the only ******** who liked that movie. And that is despite the many many glaring flaws this movie had. I had no business liking it as much as I did.

i agree, but we all have a crappy movie we like to watch again and again. Ultraviolet is mine
I know what you mean. Van Helsing would be mine.
I know right. Cuz I am confident I am one of the only ******** who liked that movie. And that is despite the many many glaring flaws this movie had. I had no business liking it as much as I did.
I have seen one guy give a positive review for that movie.

I haven't been able to post videos on this site lately, so there's a link for you.

I know what you mean. Van Helsing would be mine.

I have seen one guy give a positive review for that movie.

I haven't been able to post videos on this site lately, so there's a link for you.
Oh thank God I am not alone! And yes Tom Cruise was awesome in that movie! And does a better rendition of Paradise City then Axel Rose imo.

Jet Li movie Fearless is a lot better after extended cuts.

Same for John Woo's Red Cliff

There are few films that I will normally watch extended or special editions of. As much as I love films I am not that bothered in getting a few extra minutes of film.

That being said ones I have seen are Clerks, The Wicker Man & The Last Emperor.

I will also say that I do prefer the Director's Cut of Tropic Thunder. I think the extra stuff adds some extra laughs that are pretty damn good. I only wish in one scene they kept "Run through the Jungle by Creedence Clearwater Revival instead of that other crappy song they had.

I still prefer the theatrical cut for Apocalypse Now then the Redux.
me too although seeing the redux was interesting. I liked the docu Coppola's wife made - Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse