House of Cards series discussion

Tools    

Loved the first season of the show, the second season? Not so much. Im going into episode 6 season 3 and say its gotten great again. The performances are awesome, and the directing gives an extremely authentic feel and appearance. Kevin Spacey is compelling, and never drops the ball.

Just started this,am on episode 9.
I like it.
I dont care for the part where he speaks directly to the camera though,i would have preferred a voice over insted.
I dont get the part of kevin spacey and kate mara.She seemed offended when someone suggested she slept her way for the information she was getting then 2 seconds later jumps into bed with him-it also came out of nowhere to me as there didnt seem to be any kind of sexual chemistry or connection between them.Also kate is a good actress but you can put her in as many negliches and push up bras and shadow on as much cleavage as you want,she has no sex appeal.
a lack of chemistry between two of the leads and one of the main storylines is defo a problem.

I liked Peter and his assistent,sad to see them go downhill so fast-i cant believe he cheated on her twice with the same person without realizing I did find it a bit odd he would sit down and talk so long with her when she was obviously drunk.
so yeah,its nice for a bingewatching night but not in a run for a spot on fave tv shows lists just yet.

New season is out!

Normally my wife and I pounce all over these and binge them (often with French Bread Pizza, a sort of accidental tradition), but this one dropped in the middle of the week and there's a lot going on, so we might hold off a few days.

Yoopee! The new season arrives. I have waited impatiently for it since I finished all 4 seasons last month.
I will watch only 1 ep/time to savour it. I can't imagine that the whole season is out - good format, netflix.

WARNING: spoilers below
Ep 1 was great as usual. I like the moment when Frank said "I thought you knew me" then the camera revealed...
A very sleek president.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
It took a long time for F U to push someone in season five. I almost gave up hope. Not my favourite season, but, still very watchable.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
New season is out!

Normally my wife and I pounce all over these and binge them (often with French Bread Pizza, a sort of accidental tradition), but this one dropped in the middle of the week and there's a lot going on, so we might hold off a few days.
same! like what happened to putting it up on fridays?

i've only watched 2 episodes so far and i was kinda disappointed in the season opener, but i'm still hoping it gets better. i really really really hope Claire breaks the fourth wall. i'm gonna be disappointed if she doesn't at least ONCE

Same here re: two episodes. Normally I'd be done within days, but there's just so much going on this summer.

I actually liked the first episode a lot more, but then, I think the series is better when Frank is scheming in interesting ways, and as he's risen in power that's been harder and harder for them to incorporate; it's been more about him dodging threats or managing personal issues, which is less fun/interesting. So I was just pleased to see them get back to basics, so to speak.

Same here re: two episodes. Normally I'd be done within days, but there's just so much going on this summer.

I actually liked the first episode a lot more, but then, I think the series is better when Frank is scheming in interesting ways, and as he's risen in power that's been harder and harder for them to incorporate; it's been more about him dodging threats or managing personal issues, which is less fun/interesting. So I was just pleased to see them get back to basics, so to speak.
But now he's back on dodging threats!
I have seen 11 eps so far and the show is losing steam for me.

One problem I have with all 5 seasons is, in the same spirit with your complain: I would like to see Frank actually do something productive, other than manipulating situations all the time. Just because he's vicious doesn't mean he can't have some positive policy. How about that AmWork? The way the show depicts that employment program is a bit lacking and naive. They mentioned Medicare once then threw it out of the window. Surely ambitious people like Frank and Claire would try to at least improve something, anything.

Raced through it in a day, now I'm all sad I have to wait a year. Same lament each year since it started. Still haven't learned to pace myself....

same! like what happened to putting it up on fridays?

i've only watched 2 episodes so far and i was kinda disappointed in the season opener, but i'm still hoping it gets better. i really really really hope Claire breaks the fourth wall. i'm gonna be disappointed if she doesn't at least ONCE

*bites fist*

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Just finished the last season. Literally thumbing this out on my mobile while the credits roll.

Quickly, this may be my favorite season. Feels like less happened than earlier seasons but it felt deeper. Really enjoyed all the teasing nods to the viewer through the season. That may be my favorite element throughout, how Underwood has some omnipotent-like awareness due to his power. I love how that evolved, this season in particular.

All I'll say here. Great final two episodes, IMO.

*Bites Sidhe's fist too*
Cuz I'm right there with you on that point!

I've just finished it too.
The last episode redeem the whole season for me. Intense and surprising.

I don't know if they intend to do another season, but I think this season wrap it well. No need to knead it more.

We've gone on holiday by mistake

Was gonna say something like this, was more fun when he was scheming from a lower postion. Also when the years go by I tend to forget a lot of the sub-plots in a second tier show like this, the whole Rachel/Doug/Lisa thing.

Just finished this season and it all just felt a bit meh, few too many people are disappearing, or getting thrown downstairs etc, is Usher the new FU who is gonna throw Frank and Claire under the bus.

You ready? You look ready.
So far, it's sewer trash.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The Adventure Starts Here!
Just binged the whole final season 6 over the past two days. Some of the ending went where I expected it to go, but having read somewhere about "that season finale shocker" (mostly clickbait, I admit, but I didn't click it), I was a tad disappointed. I didn't feel Claire could have so easily bounced back in apparent popularity after some of the stunts this season.

This had to be the final season for several reasons, one of which was that, if they had any more, everybody would be talking to the camera.

The Adventure Starts Here!
So far, it's sewer trash.
There was no way I wasn't going to watch the final season, but I kinda agree on this. It felt like they were painfully aware they had to wrap things up and get out as unscathed as possible.

And although Robin Wright has been brilliant this whole series, I hate to say this but the show just isn't the same without Francis there front and center making trouble.

You ready? You look ready.
@Austruck: I feel bad for Robin Wright because a lot of reviews have been slamming her and putting the weight of the show on her character when she was never meant to be its focal point.

This series could have ended way better with a single episode (2 hr format) where we see a Spacey look alike get taken down by an assassin and then go from there. So basically, a 2 hr episode of "OMG, Francis is dead!" and all the madness that comes with a presidential assassination. You could have had any and all parties trying to wrangle power from Claire, but nooooooooooooo. Had to go the sewer trash route.