Connecticut School Shootings

Tools    

Mexico is a good example of gun control gone wrong.

By the way, this is like the 12th massacre this year or something. 22 kids were stabbed in China the other day too. There was also a mall shooting earlier this week.
no one died in China..mate.

Mexico is a good example of gun control gone wrong.

By the way, this is like the 12th massacre this year or something. 22 kids were stabbed in China the other day too. There was also a mall shooting earlier this week.

Yeah, and without playing the "Which country has more of these crimes compared to others without factoring in certain important factors" game, it's horrid that this stuff happens, anywhere in the world, at any given time, regardless of that countries laws/policies on guns/weapons/etc...

It's happening all too often these days it seems.

At least it's a start.

Except for the fact that it's not... XD

Your population is also about 280,000,000 less than America's, and your population density is also lower... Also factors...

In any case, i'm done arguing about this, as I am pretty much going against what I said earlier about not trying to get into an argument over it, and that's just what I did... lol

Except for the fact that it's not... XD
What??????? Are sure you're not related to will.15, because sometimes in the shoutout box he writes stuff like that!

plus the murderer and his mom.
This is my theory about the murderer. Get ready to call me crazy, but I am backing this up with Sigmund Freud and Michael Kahn, Ph.D., author of the book, Basic Freud: Psychoanalytic Thought for the 21st Century, which I recently read.

There's a whole chapter in there about The Oedipus Complex. I never thought much about it until after I read this book. Right away, after hearing this whole story about Adam Lanza, I connected it with what I had read. Basically, in Freud's theory, boys want their mothers for themselves. Unconsciously. They have a rival -- their father -- that they must compete with for their mother's love. When their father leaves the picture, such as through divorce, this is not healthy for a boy and it can lead to all kinds of neurotic problems and psychological/unconscious damage. Why? Because it means the boy has become successful at attaining the mother for himself.

This is one reason that I think this guy - Adam Lanza - went crazy and killed those people. It is probably the result of a sick, mentally ill mind mixed in with his Oedipus Complex. He was living alone with his mother. He won her and he went crazy.

If you don't believe me, look at the movie, Psycho. It's the same thing with Norman Bates and his mother. That's another Oedipus Complex story -- a lonely young man who kills his mother and kills other people, too.

Adam Lanza was Norman Bates with a rifle.

He killed his mother and then he went to the school where she volunteered and killed all of those kids. Isn't it funny that he picks his mom's school? There are reports that she and Adam Lanza were both weird residents of the town who were anti-social, high strung, distant, cold, troubled, etc. In one article I read, Adam Lanza was even described as "repressed."

It's Norman Bates and his mother with automatic rifles. That is my psychological theory. You probably won't hear it anywhere else, but please, get it out there.

This is not just a gun problem. This is a problem involving the family unit in today's world. Adam Lanza had special problems and he needed more attention and more direction in life. We don't know the full story about his life and his family, but I think that there's a deep, complex drama that went on with his family. I think his parents divorcing was an issue. No, not everyone who goes through these things ends up like Adam Lanza, of course -- this is just an extreme example.

It is not simply about guns and video games and violent media and being trained to operate guns and such at a young age. It's about family. It's about not being groomed for this world. The older brother, Ryan, was following in his dad's footsteps -- Adam was stuck in his mother's care. He was a male with severe developmental issues caught in a bad home, with no direction. It all made him snap.

What??????? Are sure you're not related to will.15, because sometimes in the shoutout box he writes stuff like that!

Naw, I am a legit new member. I never even heard of this forum until I joined today. I used to frequent Neoseeker and Gamespot forums over the last 12 years, but those places blow now, so I thought i'd try to find better forums to post to. So far, this one is a winner winner, chicken dinner! :3

Aye, I agree that it is more about the sometimes fragile human psyche and whatnot, not so much gun laws and such.

This is my theory about the murderer. Get ready to call me crazy,
Yes, you are crazy!

Naw, I am a legit new member. I never even heard of this forum until I joined today. I used to frequent Neoseeker and Gamespot forums over the last 12 years, but those places blow now, so I thought i'd try to find better forums to post to. So far, this one is a winner winner, chicken dinner! :3

Aye, I agree that it is more about the sometimes fragile human psyche and whatnot, not so much gun laws and such.
hopefully you will enjoy your time here.

Oh, well, Dastardly_Bastard, welcome to the forum. ^^ Here, here! I wish your username was spaced together a little better, though.

Two 29 year olds (my age) and a lot of 6 year olds (Powderfinger, you better not say that's how old I really am.)

What is there to say? You can't bring them back. Horrendous. Unfair. Evil.

There's nothing we can say that matters in the slightest, of course. Still...I'll finish my beer and try to think of something.

In the Beginning...
If someone wants a gun they will get it, regardless of the legality of it... I am not delusional enough to believe that banning them would solve all these issues, as people get guns illegally all the time, even these days. That wouldn't change with guns being banned in general.
I can't stand when people try to make this argument. It's so bloody lazy. By your logic, it's no use having murder laws, or rape laws, or drug laws either because, by God, you can't stop determined folks from murdering, raping, or shooting up. Come on, man. Legislating isn't the same as throwing your hands up and saying, "Screw it, it's useless."

That said, I've written about gun control on these forums before. I don't believe banning is the solution, and you're right, people will still commit crimes no matter what we do. But greater regulations, I believe, are worth exploring.

I can't stand when people try to make this argument. It's so bloody lazy. By your logic, it's no use having murder laws, or rape laws, or drug laws either because, by God, you can't stop determined folks from murdering, raping, or shooting up. Come on, man. Legislating isn't the same as throwing your hands up and saying, "Screw it, it's useless."
Well, the thing is, owning a gun isn't the same thing as murder or rape. There's, what, 80 million gun owners here, 99% of which live peacefully.

That said, I've written about gun control on these forums before. I don't believe banning is the solution, and you're right, people will still commit crimes no matter what we do. But greater regulations, I believe, are worth exploring.
Looking worldwide, gun control isn't necessarily related to the murder rate. Norway has, and I'm paraphrasing from a Harvard paper, the highest gun ownership rate in Europe and the lowest murder rate. Mexico banned guns but all the cartels have them. Denmark and Russia have high murder rate, strict gun laws. Japan is kind of the outlier with low numbers on both.

Also, I need to address this:
no one died in China..mate.
Have you ever been stabbed? Are you seriously downgrading it because the kids were only horribly wounded? Trauma for a city is trauma for a city. There was a similar attack in 2010, 20 something people died and 50 wounded, that still didn't get press.

In the Beginning...
Well, the thing is, owning a gun isn't the same thing as murder or rape. There's, what, 80 million gun owners, 99% of which live peacefully.
Except he was essentially saying that gun control of any kind is pointless because people can still obtain guns illegally, much the same way they can commit other crimes despite laws to the contrary. And I think that's a pretty pessimistic perspective, and if he was a legislator, pretty irresponsible too.

Originally Posted by wintertriangles
Looking worldwide, gun control isn't necessarily related to the murder rate. Norway has, and I'm paraphrasing from a Harvard paper, the highest gun ownership rate in Europe and the lowest murder rate. Mexico banned guns but all the cartels have them. Denmark and Russia have high murder rate, strict gun laws. Japan is kind of the outlier with low numbers on both.
Denmark has a high murder rate? You're gonna have to show me the source for that. Also, you forgot to mention Great Britain, which has very strict gun control laws and one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world. Really, it's pretty difficult to compare countries like this because the culture in each is so very different. Proximity, I think, is also important. Britain and Japan are islands; the United States is connected to Mexico.

I also think there's something to be said about the stressful society we're living in. The least stressful countries, by and large, are European countries like Finland, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, and others. I know some Fins myself who always say the U.S. is a great place to spend a few months making some money, but they'd never want to live in such a stressful country. Stress breeds malcontent, I fear.

Except he was essentially saying that gun control of any kind is pointless because people can still obtain guns illegally, much the same way they can commit other crimes despite laws to the contrary. And I think that's a pretty pessimistic perspective, and if he was a legislator, pretty irresponsible too.
I don't think it's pointless but we already do have gun control. The only way to improve it that I see is to have better initial screenings.

Denmark has a high murder rate? You're gonna have to show me the source for that. Also, you forgot to mention Great Britain, which has very strict gun control laws and one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world. Really, it's pretty difficult to compare countries like this because the culture in each is so very different. Proximity, I think, is also important. Britain and Japan are islands; the United States is connected to Mexico.
Well yeah the point I was making is that culture has more effect. I didn't forget GB, I just didn't know about that. And I found the paper I was citing

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

I don't know why I picked Denmark, but it is in the top 10. Elaborate more on the proximity idea, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I also think there's something to be said about the stressful society we're living in. The least stressful countries, by and large, are European countries like Finland, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, and others. I know some Fins myself who always say the U.S. is a great place to spend a few months making some money, but they'd never want to live in such a stressful country. Stress breeds malcontent, I fear.
I have a Finnish neighbor, and we've talked about this too. She says she was extremely selective of where she moved to because of these things, and she only moved here to be an aupair, but ended up getting married. Anytime she wants she can travel back home, but I guess her kids and husband help her deal with things? Also lots of things breed malcontent, but what's the ratio of it being caused from within compared to outside?

That's not an argument for gun control. That's an argument for stress reduction.