Underrated/overrated

Tools    

Publicly Overrated- The Dark Night
Personally I think that if Heath Ledger hadn't given such a fantastic performance nobody would've cared about this movie. It was entertaining but I really don't get why it crazed our nation...
Blasphemy!

Forgiven.

Critically Overrated-Citizen Kane
I think it's a good film. It's definitely visually interesting and it deserves credit for the undeniable impact it had on cinema. However in my opinion it's script was lacking and it's quite undeserving of it's "best film of all time" reputation.
Back to blasphemy!

Critically Overrated-Citizen Kane
However in my opinion it's script was lacking

I kept in the "IMO" because I think it's fair to, but that script is beyond compare.

I'm with you on TDK, though. I'll even argue that, while a good performance, as he was playing a psycho, Ledger's performance wasn't anything special for an actor of his talents.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"

I kept in the "IMO" because I think it's fair to, but that script is beyond compare.

I'm with you on TDK, though. I'll even argue that, while a good performance, as he was playing a psycho, Ledger's performance wasn't anything special for an actor of his talents.
Yea, the IMO is kind of important in that post. Personally I've never understood the appeal of biographical movies in general, so that's probably a big part of why I didn't much care for the Citizen Kane script. I find the vast majority of them dry and predictable and filled with cookie cutter morals, e.g., Citizen Kane's "money can't buy happiness" message. Like I said though, I still enjoyed the film and have great respect for it's technical accomplishments.

And just out of curiosity- what Heath Ledger role do you think was more impressive than the Joker?

Underrated:

Goodbye Dragon Inn
Werckmeister Harmonies
Inland Empire
Walkabout
Picnic At The Hanging Rock

Overrated:
8 1/2
The Rules Of The Game
Dances With Wolves
Forest Gump
The Big Lebowski

Underrated:
Inland Empire
Seems like Lynch films are consistently overrated by his fans and underrated by everyone else.

Oooo so complex and dreamy!

Overrated:
The Big Lebowski

#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Underrated:
Walkabout
Picnic At The Hanging Rock

Overrated:
The Rules Of The Game
Completely agree with these. Though I'm not sure that Walkabout and Picnic are underrated, so much as they are 'lesser seen'. Maybe it's the same thing.

I recently saw Rules Of The Game and, while I liked it, I didn't see what the fuss was about. Maybe I'll 'get it' next time?

I couldn't help but notice the Troll 2 talk, which is a movie I love. It just got a really good Blu-ray release recently -- but I'm pissed because my copy, purchased at Wal-Mart, came with a slight tear in the center of the paper. I should have returned it for a different one, but I think all of them were f'ed up.

Picnic at Hanging Rock isn't underrated. I think the general critical consensus was that it's practically a classic.

As for The Rules of The Game, I really liked it. I wouldn't say that there's anything to 'get', really- it's just the lives and loves of the bourgeouisie just before WW2. The Shooting Party is basically the same thing, except set just before WW1

As for The Rules of The Game, I really liked it. I wouldn't say that there's anything to 'get', really- it's just the lives and loves of the bourgeouisie just before WW2. The Shooting Party is basically the same thing, except set just before WW1
Exactly! Yet one is considered one of the best films ever made and the other 'merely' a very good film. I prefer The Shooting Party, but I wouldn't put it forward as one of the best films of all time. Maybe it's because it's French and has been around a lot longer?

I think Titantic was overrated, the special effects were great but the story was mediocre, too much like a soap opera. also Jurassic Park was overated, there were too many characters to keep track of and the movie didnt really get going until close to the end. One I think was underated, most critics didnt like it was the first Conan The Barbarian with Big Arnold. Thats one of my favorites, it followed the original Robert E. Howard stories very closely and the Conan character was in line with the stories.

I concur. Plus a dude gets his face cut off!
I too concur.

Underrated:

Equilibrium
The Mist
Kingdom of Heaven
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Starship Troopers

Overrated:

No Country For Old Men
Million Dollar Baby
Mystic River
Superbad
Crash

Snow Falling On Cedars

This should have gotten a lot more attention than it did. A fantastic movie that had a really good cast.

Dances with Wolves

Pretentious and hampered by Kevin Costner's over acting. It just didn't click for me ya know?

When someone asks you if you're a God, you say YES!!
Haven't seen Snow, but IMO one of the most underrated movies of all time and one that I never hear anything about is Fracture with Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling. Simply an awesome movie from top to bottom.

Underrated :
Oscar (1990), The Arrival (1996), sleep away camp 1, 2(haven't seen 3) , The Man in the Iron Mask, Mystic River and The Pink Panther 1963 which is the best one.

Overated:
Million dolar baby, Avatar , 300 and paranormal activity.

Underrated:

Equilibrium
The Mist
Kingdom of Heaven
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Starship Troopers

Overrated:

No Country For Old Men
Million Dollar Baby
Mystic River
Superbad
Crash
I didnt want to say blasphemy for No country for old men, but you forced me to react when I saw Mystic River Overrated really ??? Watch it one more time maybe.
Mystic River is genius and No country for old men is modern-western entertainment at it''s best