Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

→ in
Tools    

I want a trailer to tell me almost nothing about the film's developments, and I don't want it to show me most of its best lines, either. I want a premise, and a mood/vibe that gives me an idea of whether I'll like it (not necessary for a QT film, really, though) without telling me anything specific. This satisfies most of those criteria pretty well.

Trailers like I'm describing are increasingly rare, though. I'm convinced I enjoy Nolan's films moderately more than I would because his trailers almost never make the usual trailer mistakes.
I agree. Wouldn't it be great if trailers show you the most boring scenes and the lamest pieces of dialogue in the film and save all the good parts for when you go actually see the movie? Let the audience go in with low expectations and then surprise the hell out of them
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I'm thinking this film's gonna be like Pulp Fiction meets Inglourious Bastards. DiCaprio and Pitt are today's Jules and Vincent, just walking around, having fun with some hilarious dialogue. Then Margot Robbie is Uma Thurman, sexy, seductive and with a dark side. I don't anticipate much of a plot, but like Bastards the storylines of the different characters will converge into one location (the dinner party) and then we get Tarantino's alternative version of history, lots of blood included of course.

Just watched the trailer....what the hell thought this was going to be about Manson. Completely thrown me, have No idea what the genre is too.
It’s the public that has hyped it up to be about Manson. It was never about the Manson’s.

The Manson’s are in it but they just a small part of it. I think as soon as people heard the name “Manson” they talked it up to this big thing. I think the Manson’s will be as big a part of this as Hitler was in Inglourious Basterds... so not too much.

This movie seems to be a Pulp Ficiton / Inglourious Basterds style film to me.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Just watched the trailer....what the hell thought this was going to be about Manson. Completely thrown me, have No idea what the genre is too.
It’s the public that has hyped it up to be about Manson. It was never about the Manson’s.

The Manson’s are in it but they just a small part of it. I think as soon as people heard the name “Manson” they talked it up to this big thing. I think the Manson’s will be as big a part of this as Hitler was in Inglourious Basterds... so not too much.

This movie seems to be a Pulp Ficiton / Inglourious Basterds style film to me.
Yea that’s a shame - it’s an interesting topic. You could be right but I don’t see the setting for ultra violence but it’s Tarantino so assume he’ll find it. Interesting that he’s exploring a stunt double again.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I'm not surprised if this movie doesn't turn out to be controversial, Tarantino seems to want to stay away from too much controversy, which is why he seems to pick historical setttings, cause that plays it more safe.

There's going to be a movie within the movie called "Il Gringo" starring DiCaprio's character.

Here's the poster. No surprise it's a spaghetti western, a genre Tarantino is famously in love with.

New full-length trailer is here!

And it makes more sense to me now, why QT published that letter about not giving away spoilers when you see it. Because even after this trailer, it's still not 100% obvious what the movie is about, plot-wise, and what is going to happen...

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I love the feaux posters because they represent a washed up American Western actor slumming it in Italian Spaghetti Westerns and poliziotteschi films.

This new trailer is amazing. Tarantino trailer + Neil Diamond's "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show" + Charles Manson = Best Movie of the Year.

I'm loving the new trailer!

Best bits in it to me are: Leo killing a bunch of Nazis with a flame thrower, Bruce Lee, Charles Manson.

This might end up becoming one of the top 3 Tarantino films ever.

Welcome to the human race...
Word out of Cannes is sounding pretty positive to boot. I'm not sure my expectations can get much higher.

What do you suppose the "over & under" line will be for the screen time Tarantino devotes to the gory, brutal and sickening Tate/LaBianca murders?

Let's see: 6 murders over 2 days. If 1 minute is assigned for each, plus 2 minutes travel time between residences; I'll guess 8 minutes. Actually, the "over" is probably a better bet...

Margot Robbie is going to earn her money in this one.

~Doc

What do you suppose the "over & under" line will be for the screen time Tarantino devotes to the gory, brutal and sickening Tate/LaBianca murders?

Let's see: 6 murders over 2 days. If 1 minute is assigned for each, plus 2 minutes travel time between residences; I'll guess 8 minutes. Actually, the "over" is probably a better bet...

Margot Robbie is going to earn her money in this one.

~Doc
I think Robbie will not only earn her money, but an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, too.

Welcome to the human race...
The review on BirthMoviesDeath says she's not in it as much as we've been led to believe by the ad campaign where she's third-billed behind DiCaprio and Pitt, so you never know. It seems like it might be the kind of movie where those two guys are the only constant presences while everyone else shows up for one or two scenes.

looks good