Aladdin (Live Action)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Not a lot movies stars of MENA descent, but, primarily, this is clearly not being sold on the names of the performers, rather the familiarity of the property.
That's true, it will still sell.

As far as all this talk about getting actors who actually fit the Arab descent races go, if they were to cast actors that were not actually Arab, would that really be a big deal?

I mean I would say a good choice for Jaffar would be Javier Bardem, even though he is not Arab, but he's still a good choice based on acting skills.

Plus in other movies, when people are cast against ethnicity, it seems like people don't care as long as the filmmakers can sell it.

For example, Salma Hayek is of much more Arab descent, than Latino, and I can tell that, just by looking, but she's always playing a Latino in movies, and nobody cares.

Or how Robert De Niro, is of Irish descent, much more than Italian, but he played an Italian-American in Goodfellas, and nobody cares, cause he can sell it.

Welcome to the human race...
Robert De Niro's character in Goodfellas is of Irish descent, though. It's even a plot point.

In any case, I reckon that the idea of this being acceptable because "people don't care" is part of the problem.

Oh okay, my mistake, I don't remember that in Goodfellas .

I remember when Prince of Persia came out, my friends liked it and didn't seem bothered by casting non-Arab actors. I guess it didn't really bother me, since it was a fantasy video game adaptation, and they weren't going for much realism anyway.

This might just do nobody any good.
I don’t think Derek Jarman would approve of that remake.

I like this trailer a lot more than the other one.

I find it pretty hard to get mad about this stuff. The movies of our childhood can't really be tainted in any meaningful way. And I think the general idea of remaking these films in live action is just fine, and in some cases makes sense given the effects now available.

I'm not super excited and some of it may be dumb or cynical, but what else is new?

Ahhhhh didn't like the small piece of Will Smith's rendition of Friend Like Me there....

The rest of it looks like pretty good fun

Also, with all the backlash over ethnicity of the actors... my main gripe is... what's with Jasmine and Aladdin having extremely strong American accents?

Majority of critics seem to like it. It currently has a rating of 70% on Rotten Tomatoes, with 40 reviews in.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

That was nice feeling something come through 15 years back to me!