Anyone skeptical about Spike Lee’s version of OldBoy?

Tools    

Thought he lost everything,then he lost a whole lot more.
The original Korean movie done by Chan-wook Park was an excellent film.
So in a perfect world Oldboy should not have been remade at all.
Park's film had many controversial elements; I hope that the American producers gave the same artistic freedom to the people that are making this movie (I doubt it).
A watered down version would simply in my opinion ruin the film.

…And besides it has been quite a long time since Spike Lee did anything really great.

New Oldboy adaptation talked about here with more information on the film:

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ghlight=oldboy

As for the new adaptation of the original manga, I can't stand Spike Lee but I'm giving him a chance with this one, got a brilliant cast and the manga fans love that Josh Brolin has been cast.

A watered down version would simply in my opinion ruin the film.
With the director and lead actors I can see it been just as graphic.

Let's just say it will not be as bad as the remake from India... got rid of the entire twist and the 'famous' fight sequence was dreadful(with added easily bent metal bars)...

Less sceptical, more curious. It's got a lot of elements to be great and the original Oldboy is an adaptation itself; if they take it in a new direction, could be something decent.

Given the right script and a good cast, Spike Lee is more than capable to pull off something good. I mean come on, Inside Man is probably one of the greatest heist movies ever made.

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
I am skeptical but you have to remember that he's basing it more on the manga than the Korean film (which took some liberties).

Also, people love The Departed and that's pretty much a remake of Infernal Affairs.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
I hadn't heard that he was doing one. Sounds interesting, I honestly don't know if I will watch it or not. I kind of liked the original but I don't know, I may check it out.

I'm with Pyro. Very curious as to what's in store. Park told Lee and Brolin not to 'make the same film', and they said they haven't and I believe them soo...

Thought he lost everything,then he lost a whole lot more.
We're just going to have to wait and see..
Josh Brolin assured in an interview that this remake will not be a watered down commercial cash-in.
I hope he is right.

Yeah, if they wanted some kind of cash-in, I think they could find lots of better candidates than Oldboy. Maybe it'll be good, and maybe it won't, but I'm plenty convinced it's being done for the "right" reasons.

I'm honestly not as big of an Oldboy fan as most others. I liked it, but not so much that I can't say I'm not excited to see if Lee can improve upon the original or at least bring his own spin to it.

Not a massive fan of Oldboy. It begins well but becomes increasingly silly towards, and in the final act. If Spike can rectify that then this project could bear fruit. The premise is dynamite.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Not skeptical. Spike Lee is the wrong person to go to if you want a "Hollywood" style remake. I will see this because it sounds intriguing. One can only hope they left the hammer fight in it.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Zombie Preparedness Expert
Agree - intrigued is the right word here. Spike Lee takes chances and this could go either way - but I'm glad he's not trying to do a straight-up remake. As much as I like Oldboy - I am interested to see what direction Lee goes with it.

I see no reason for a remake and I think Spike Lee is overrated.

That said, Cornbread brings up a good point about Lee's courage as a director. Yoda mentioned that if they just wanted to cash in on a foreign property, they'd probably pick a different film. If anything, Lee's version will be interesting. I'm in no rush to see it, though.

two can keep a secret, if one of them is dead..
I find myself to fully agree with everyone on here; I'm not upset at this remake, if anything I find myself more curious as to it's going to be.. I'm still going to see it regardless. The real question is if I enjoy it as much as the original. I have faith.

for my movie reviews: letterboxd.com/raineotaku

According to a test screening, it's just as twisted, violent and sick as the first Oldboy film, and it apparently takes the
WARNING: "Oldboy" spoilers below
incest twist
further.

^ Spoiler is safe to click on if you have seen the original Oldboy film.

International Woman of Mystery
Is this for real? Why can't they leave perfect alone?