The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Cool pair of films right there.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia almost made my list. The Holy Mountain I've not seen. This countdown is certainly proving interesting.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two very personal films from their directors, but too personal for me to have included them on my list.

I first saw Alfredo Garcia (the name of one of my high school buddies ) at a repertory theatre in 1977 (it was already a cult item) - I hated it. Of course, I was in my "literal" phase - I took things mostly at face value, didn't look that hard at things metaphorically, etc. (Some of you will say I'm still in that phase!) Anyway, it just came across as a convoluted, meaningless, boring mess, and I'll admit that I still feel that way about much of it today, except it is meaningful, both to the Warren Oates character and to me. I might not be as rabid a fan boy as Holds, but I love me some Warren Oates. He's perfect for this role, and no wonder - he's doing a sly takeoff on Peckinpah himself! So you not only get Oates' strong performance, but it's almost as if it's Sam (via Warren) talking to himself (via the head). If you watch the film in this context, I think you'll get more out of it, but if you're an existentialist, you'll probably like it anyway. Oh, one more thing. The opening of the movie is beautiful and lyrical, coming across as an idealized setting for a western set over 100 years ago, but then all of a sudden we see a plane and modern cars and the illusion is broken. That's not a spoiler since Holds included a picture of a car.

I watched The Holy Mountain twice when one of Sarah's friends loaned it to us. The first time it seemed so random, all over the place. The imagery was great, but Jodorowsky seemed so bonkers in his presentation. I also thought it was too serious for such a weird film. The second time I watched it I could see that there was a method, and meaning, to the madness. In fact the entire last part with the group going to the Holy Mountain was both profound and funny. It's still too bizarre for me to give it a whole-hearted thumbs up recommendation, but it and Garcia are worth a watch for adventurous filmwatchers, and isn't that just about everybody here?

Nothing from my list yet. That's a LOT of ballots... interested to see where this is headed

Can we submit a top 100 movies list for the 60s movies?
There are 100 good films from the 60's?
I see Cabaret coming in at around the 60-65 mark.
I think that's about right. Maybe a little higher, but bottom 50 sounds about right, I think.

Happens to the best of us.

Actually, I just did a cursory examination of the ballots (as cursory as scanning ninety-nine of them can be), and there is somebody who matched all twenty-five of their choices with our collective top hundred. In fact, I think there are as many as five of you somebodies!
Losers.
Daniel was able to find it quicker than I was. But ya,
3.5 and it's on your list?

I've not seen either of these. I tried to watch Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia, but couldn't get into it. Not a surprise, as I really don't like Peckenpah (with one glorious exception) but it is something I'd try again.

Yes, but you had problems getting a list together. I didn't think DD had. Of course, if he's rating like mark, then I guess it'd be a really good rating and, with a few exceptions, as high as it could be.

Yes, but you had problems getting a list together. I didn't think DD had. Of course, if he's rating like mark, then I guess it'd be a really good rating and, with a few exceptions, as high as it could be.
Donnie and his ratings make Mark look very generous

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Never heard of Head of Garcia or Holy Mountain.

If it's the case that there's a decent percentage of both American and non-American members here I think it might be interesting to see each of those groups' top ten pick averages.

I've always been cold on Peckinpah, but Alfredo Garcia is one of his better films I'd say. It's a good mix so far!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Cultural war shots fired! Riposte: if Vanilla Ice is the price of 5% GDP growth and no Jimmy Carter, let's bring him back.

Also, four of your top ten favorite movies are from the 80s.
Ah, I liked the 90's better than both the 70's and the 80's anyways.

But to give the 80's props, some of the movies were pretty great.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but just in case:

Holden has 99 ballots (and to those that did not enter, it sucks to be you) and yours ain't one!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Seen All That Jazz thought it had some great performances, but not much else.

also, Holy Mountain made this list? Damn you Mofo, pretentious yuppies.

Suspect's Reviews

Nothing to do with your comment but watching the sweet Drew Barrymore and the badass Joaquin Phoenix avatars headbanging in unison almost made me pregnant

Nothing to do with your comment but watching the sweet Drew Barrymore and the badass Joaquin Phoenix avatars headbanging in unison almost made me pregnant
Does this mean you're female?