The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Have heard of 94. Haven't heard of 93. Haven't seen either one. This is going to start into a murky section of the list with movies I was too young to see or appreciate at the time, but am now just too busy to sit down and catch up with.

(sigh) Why can't I just skip sleep for about a decade and do all the things I want to do in that time each night?

We are only eight films in, and I think you're beginning to get an idea of how eclectic the top hundred is.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Two interesting looking films that I regrettably didn't get around to during my "preparation" for this list.

I'll definitely watch them in the future, though. Especially Holy Mountain looks really good.

Awesome! Wish it was higher, I believe it was fairly high on my own list (which I seem to have accentually deleted so I can't reference ) but I'm pleased it made the cut none the less. Peckinpah's masterpiece in my opinion.

I like The Holy Mountain and I'm not surprised it's on the list, but it's never one I would have included on my own list.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia is the second movie from my own list to make the cut, I had it as my seventeenth pick. It is my second favorite Sam Peckinpah movie, behind only The Wild Bunch (naturally). A bloody, sweaty ode to pessimism, honor, and futility, it also has some of Sam's funniest touches. OK, very dark humor, to be sure, but by the time Bennie starts talking to Al's noggin in a fly-ridden burlap sack, well, Hell...that's just plain funny. Yet it is also one of Peckinpah's most brutal films (which is really saying something). It has, along with Hellman's Cockfighter, my favorite Warren Oates performance. Great stuff.

Alfredo Garcia only had one top ten vote (somebody's number eight), but six votes total. Jodorowski's Holy Mountain had three top ten votes, it went as high as somebody's fifth pick, and had five total votes. We haven't even gotten past the bottom ten and you already need five or six MoFos voting for a film for it to make the list. Which I think is a good thing. And, boy, do these vote number totals start climbing precipitously!

Two more coming tomorrow morning, sometime.

Awesome! Wish [Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia] was higher, I believe it was fairly high on my own list (which I seem to have accentually deleted so I can't reference ) but I'm pleased it made the cut none the less. Peckinpah's masterpiece in my opinion.
You had it at #12, Bro. I just PM'd your list back to you, for your own reference going forward.

I liked Alfredo Garcia but not as much as I hoped. I've felt since watching it that I need to see it again. Captain Spaulding will be happy; it was probably him who had it in the top 10.

I liked The Holy Mountain in a freaky kind of way. It's probably the strangest movie I've ever seen, but not really my kind of movie, and I wouldn't watch it again.

I'm not shocked either one made it; they both figured to be borderline.

A system of cells interlinked
Sadly, I haven't seen either of the last two entries. Something I must correct soon!

I do not have either one of these on my list and have to be honest that I totally forgot about Holy Mountain. I need to give it a re-watch. On the other hand Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia was on and off my list as I culled it down and just did not make it - probably would sit around 27 or 28 on my list if there were more choices. Great stuff thus far - nothing I really dislike at all yet.

I've had Alfredo Garcia on my watchlist forever. Didn't get around to it in preparation of my list.

Got about halfway into Holy Mountain before turning it off. Wut.

Alfredo Garcia was ok, nothing special to me. I don't have any kind of interest in Jodorovsky movies so I didn't watch The Holy Mountain (El Topo neither)

Awesome.

Alfredo Garcia narrowly missed me list. It's definitely a
film and easily could have made it on another day, probably my favourite Peckinpah just ahead of The Wild Bunch and Straw Dogs. I great dark film with a fantastic lead performance from Oates who perfectly captures a character who has truly lost it all.

Also delighted that The Holy Mountain made it without my help. I own it on DVD and was gutted I didn't get round to watching it before sending in my list, because as a fan of El Topo, I think I'd definitely like it. Will try and watch it very soon now

I voted for Logan's Run and Fantastic Planet. I was expecting them to be a bit higher on the list. I can see that some of the movies I ranked quite high aren't even going to be on the list at all. :P
Happens to the best of us.

Actually, I just did a cursory examination of the ballots (as cursory as scanning ninety-nine of them can be), and there is somebody who matched all twenty-five of their choices with our collective top hundred. In fact, I think there are as many as five of you somebodies!

But that still means the overwhelming majority of us have anywhere from several to many of our choices that aren't going to make it. With over four-hundred titles named, this is inevitable. But Zotis, hang on and see which of your choices did make it.

Two more I've not seen, though I've heard of them. So far Fantastic Planet is the only one I have watched.

My List
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

Looking at my list, I think 19 will make it. I had 25 in the Eighties, and I don't think anybody else did, but in the Nineties I think it was about 19. Some films I'm totally clueless as to how much other people like them on here, and they need to start showing up now to really have a chance, I'd say the films so far have been pretty strong too, which worries me.