Willy Wonka

Tools    

I don't know if I'm old school or what, but I like the original way better....my girlfriend begs to differ. She likes the one with "J. Depp".
What are your thoughts?

I don't know if I'm old school or what, but I like the original way better....my girlfriend begs to differ. She likes the one with "J. Depp".
What are your thoughts?
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, you mean? I sawWilly Wonka and the Chocolate Factory 30-something years ago when it first came out, and enjoyed it. I've seen reviews of the remakes of this movie, with J. Depp, and decided against seeing them after that.

Movie Forums Extra
I loved the original, the new one was great too but it doesn't hold a candle to oompa loompa doompa-dee doo

Interesting this should pop up, I was just waxing ever so poetically about some of the little differences in the movie tab.

I said:

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (2005)

After just seeing the original Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory, I thought it would be interesting to watch this version again to compare and contrast. In fact this version is actually quite good in a lot of ways that the first one wasn't. I'm basically talking about what happens to all the children, three are the same stories, but there is one dramatic difference, in Willy Wonka, Veruca Salt is labeled a "bad egg" and then tossed down a garbage chute and in Charlie it follows the book and she gets labeled a "bad nut" and is then tossed down the chute.

One thing that I really enjoyed from the first film that is absent from the second is the finding of the ticket. I thought the way it was portrayed in the first film was much more well done. Charlie Bucket and his family were dirt poor and yet when Charlie finds the money in the street he can't help himself and runs in to buy himself a candy bar and eats it so fast that he barely tastes it and it isn't until he buys the second Wonka bar that he finds the golden ticket. Conversely in Charlie there is a scene aboard the boat that is missing from Willy Wonka, its the scene where Willy reaches out of the boat and ladles up some melted chocolate and lets Charlie and grandpa Joe drink it. It's a small moment and yet in their own ways both films go a long way to convey just how poor and hungry Charlie really was.

So I guess I'm saying I really love both movies and I'm going to rate them the same. You dig?
Anyway... carry on!

I dig with Powdered Water about them both being very good on their own respect.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
For one, this kept original look, which I think suits him. What they did that I really enjoyed with this film was make Willy a go-lucky chocolatier, singing and walking with his cane in his hand, singing, and he had that wonderful twinkle in his eye that I think Roald Dahl was trying to portray. Along with that, they kept Charlie's blonde hair, and made him the modest little guy that everyone feels for and loves. The singing is a great touch, that can certainly bring it, in a certain sense, above his predecessor. Things may have been altered, and even from the original setup of the story itself, it floats.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
They kept the name, which I always thought was a better one to start. It is still very cute, and much more visually enticing than the original. Though it lacked in the singing, I think that the story of the characters (esp. the children) was laid out and portrayed in a better manner. The poorness of the Buckets I thought was somewhat more accurate, and though Charlie does not have the intended haircolor, he shapes the part perfectly. As for Willy, he is definitely the same giddy guy, but in this one he is more giggly and insane than insane with that touch of the fatherly figure and the twinkle in his eye. I found the music to be more entertaining than the repetitive "oompa loompa" thing, and it made for much better of an entertainment atmosphere.

I feel the second lacks in the feel-good humor and heartfelt message of being humble and thinking of others before oneself. It was more focused around a funny and hyper type of hilarity and Depp's constant antics and giggling. Depp's Willy leans more towards the fun and wacky side, whereas Wilder's leans more to the wacky and sarcastic friendly old coot (not in the literal sense). In their own way they are both genius, and both have their own type of enjoyable eccentricity. I like them both as much, for these you come to like, not exactly in the same way, but pertaining to their own type. It isn't always easy to compare with things that differ so much.

I'm guessing this might be too much ranting. Sorry about that.

I really didn't like the one with Johnny Depp much at all. The original Gene Wilder in my opinion is much better. I like the Oompa Loompa songs from the original much better then the different era songs that were used in the Loompas scence for the J. Depp version. Gene Wilder just rocked that part.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I just had a great idea that they should do another remake and cast Serj Tankian as Willy Wonka, I think his facial expressions would just kill.

Lord High Filmquisitor
The original was definitely better, although both are pretty flawed when all is said and done. The remake is just so insufferably awkward to sit through, and set up as creepier than it was magical. That all has its place, but it doesn't make for quality viewing in of itself.

I have written reviews of both films on my review thread but to summarize:

I think 1971's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a wonderful musical comedy that features a rich performance by Gene Wilder in the title role, some clever songs, impressive art direction/set direction and has enormous re-watch appeal.

Tim Burton's 2005 film Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is, I am told, more faithful to Roald Dahl's original book, but that doesn't make it a better film. Despite some impressive production values, the film is dark and depressing, not unusual for a Burton film, but it just didn't fit this story. Johnny Depp's interpretation of the character of Willy Wonka is purely a matter of taste...the character of Wonka comes off as hating children and I found that bothersome. On the plus side, I loved Freddie Highmore as Charlie, actually preferred him to Peter Ostrum's Charlie in the '71 film, the only thing in this film that I preferred.

I really like both, the original is superior but the remake is a visual treat and has the richer world/factory. I give both a rating of

wanabe movie critique
I prefer the J.Depp version-

I've only seen the original. Is it just me or is Willy Wonka's character kind of creepy? I've noticed this when re-watching a lot of "kids' films" -
just how surprisingly sinister for a kid's movie some of the content is.