Favorite war movies

Tools    

Troy is an amazing movie. The whole satire of the movie is wonderful. One soldier is more powerful than a king in his own right. Wonderful acting by Brad Pitt, you never know if it wasn't real. Lovely, could watch it over and over again.

Just a girl who loves movies
Empire of the Sun is by far my favourite. Also liked Saving Private Ryan

Saving Private Ryan Definitely It was such a good movie.

Does "300" count as a war movie? If it does, that would be my favorite.

Saving private Ryan was good. Tom Hanks was great. But in comparison to it, Pearl Harbour is a pretty cool war movie too.

Movie Forums Critic
We were men
saving private Ryan
thin red line
behind enemy lines
black hawk down

All the Snout...Twice the Ointment.
1) "Apocalypse Now"
2) "300"
3) "Kelly's Heroes"
4) "The Guns of Navarone"
5) "Force 10 from Navarone"
6) "Hell is for Heroes"
7) "Full Metal Jacket"
8) "Bridge on the River Kwai"
9) "Patton"
10) "Letters From Iwo Jima"
11) "The Big Red One"
12) "Platoon"

i really haven't seen too many that i can remember

apacolypse now is great

saving private ryan was pretty bad , and starship troopers is REALLY bad - full metal jacket was good too

A system of cells interlinked
saving private ryan was pretty bad , and starship troopers is REALLY bad - full metal jacket was good too
Starship Troopers was an over-the-top parody, and is not a war movie any more than Star Wars is. I thought it worked for what it was, pretty well, too. It doesn't belong in a list with more serious fare, though, for sure.... Can't really compare them...

Or maybe my crush on Susie Scott's Diz is clouding my judgment...

Vietnam war movies:

5. Full Metal Jacket

"How tall are you private?"
"Sir, five foot nine, sir!"
"Five foot nine? I didn't know they stacked sh#t that high! You tryin' to squeeze an inch in on me somewhere, huh?"
" Sir, no sir!"
"Bullsh#t! It looks to me like the best part of you ran down the crack of your momma's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress! I think you been cheated! Where in the hell are you from anyway, private?"
"Sir, Texas, sir!"
"Holy dog sh#t! Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?"
"Sir, no sir!"
"Are you a peter puffer?"
"Sir, no sir!"
"I'll bet you're the kinda guy that would f#ck a person in the ass and not even have the godd@mn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. I'll be watching you."

4. The Deer Hunter

An amazing ensemble cast of Robert Deniro, John Cazale, John Savage, Christopher Walken & a very beauteous Meryl Streep join all their high-powered acting forces together to form a story that conveys what can happen when the effects of war comes to a small working class town,
leaving wounds, scars, broken relationships & lost friends.
Notice the sparseness of the dialogue & yet the effectiveness with which each actor brings to this film to effectively (not to mention, in a refreshingly unpreachy manner) portray a group of ordinary people trying to deal with the unordinary consequences that were the Vietnam War.

3. Apocalypse Now
The 2001: A Space Odyssey of war films, in that it is a story of a long journey that culminates into a meeting with a strange godlike figure, & even though you don't what it all meant, what you do know is that whatever it was, it was pretty epic & pretty cool.

2. Platoon
In 1979, Francis Ford Coppola came out with Apocalypse Now, the definitive Vietnam War movie on an artistic level.
In 1986, Oliver Stone came out with Platoon, the definitive Vietnam War movie on a more realistic level.

1. The Killing Fields
A true life tale of a journalist's journey of survival that provides a brutal & revealing look at the aftermath of the communist takeover of Cambodia & the re-"disciplining" of it's population.

WW ll movies:

5. Midway
Midway is a great example of taking an important military battle and depicting the grand scale of this real life historical event on film, despite the obvious perspective to the American side (which was usually the standard back then anyway).
The fact that at certain points, the film focuses on varoius specifics of the major decisions which resulted in the manner the battle would eventually unfold, helps in adding weight to the portrayal of those in military higher-ups who were instrumental in shaping this event.
Adding to the significance of the story is an ensemble cast of heavyweights of the time such as Charles "They-Don't-Get-Any-Bigger" Heston & Henry "I'm-Barbarella's-Dad" Fonda.

4. Saving Private Ryan
Tom Hanks.
Stephen Spielberg.
World War II stuff.
You do the math.

3. Tora! Tora! Tora!
Tora!

2. Letters From Iwo Jima
Clint Eastwood excellently directs this tale of the pacific war from the view of a band Japanese.
A country in which the war is not just against the the Allies, but also in a war within intself between the new methods & technology of the new age against it's revered ancient traditions of honor for one's native land & emperor, not to mention against the obligational feelings towards own family.
Who knew that a tale about the "other side" would make such a great American movie?

1. The Longest Day
An all-star-cast-of -it's-time-ensemble make up a long list of actors starring in this long movie about a really long day near the end of the war.

Normally, I don't go for war movies, because I think that most of them tend to glorify and romanticize war, but here are afew that I considered worth seeing because they do anything but glorify war:

Saving Private Ryan
Platoon
Apocalypse Now (both the older one and the Redux)
Bridge on the River Kwai
Killing Fields

I also saw Deer Huner, which I wasn't crazy about.

SAND OF IWO JIMA! Actual footage mixed with John Wayne adds up to one hell of a war movie!

[punches him in the face, grabs him and points his gun right at his throat] I never said anything about the FBI. She's my partner, ese. And if anything happens to her, I will find you and I will kill you. I won't think twice. Come here, look in my eyes. [pushes barrel of the gun into his mouth and cocks it] Look at my face. If anything happens to her, I will kill you. This is between you and me, and nobody sees, nobody knows.

Normally, I don't go for war movies, because I think that most of them tend to glorify and romanticize war, but here are afew that I considered worth seeing because they do anything but glorify war:
In that case you should check out All Quiet on the Western Front from 1930.

A system of cells interlinked
It's Dina Meyer, and yeah, she's pretty cute.

Um... this is totally bizarre. I must ask, who is Susie Scott? Before today, I have never heard that name in my life. There is no actress named Susie Scott, aside from some Playmate from the 80s that attempted to get into acting. And yet...there sits my post.

I remember making my post about Starship Troopers, and I have always known, from the day I saw this in the theater, that Dina Meyer played Diz. I just cannot figure out why I would have written the name Susie Scott, since I have no idea who that is, and I never have until I just Googled the name.

I mean, I would put cash down that my post has been tampered with, but there is no edit flag. In fact, I seem to remember posting a pic of Dina in another thread regarding this film. I am sure of it, and I bet it predates this one...

An enigma. I mean it, I have never heard the name Susie Scott, ever, until today.

- Band of Brothers (mini-series)
- Saving Private Ryan
- Pearl Harbor
- Flags of Our Fathers
- The Deer Hunter
- Schindler's List
- The Pianist
- Gunner Palace (documentary)
- Glory
- The War (documentary)
- Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (well, it's pretty relevant)

For now...