The movie "The Father" - was Anthony really slapped?

Tools    

The scene in The Father (2020) where Anthony (the father) is being slapped by a man. Did this really happen to him? Or was it imagined? The rest of the movie seems to show real things that happened to Anthony, except that he confuses faces, places, and names.

The scene in The Father (2020) where Anthony (the father) is being slapped by a man. Did this really happen to him? Or was it imagined? The rest of the movie seems to show real things that happened to Anthony, except that he confuses faces, places, and names.
Who knows? I don’t.

Yeah, I don't think there's a way to know. I was going to say "unfortunately" but I suppose it's not, since that's the whole idea.

FWIW, though, I didn't feel (though I don't have a scene-by-scene memory of it now, many months later) that all of the film was really happening. I think I recall a few things/movements that were impossible, meaning there is, at minimum, lost time, and other things that would definitely call into question whether everything happened at all (even if the particulars were mixed up).

Yeah, I don't think there's a way to know. I was going to say "unfortunately" but I suppose it's not, since that's the whole idea.

FWIW, though, I didn't feel (though I don't have a scene-by-scene memory of it now, many months later) that all of the film was really happening. I think I recall a few things/movements that were impossible, meaning there is, at minimum, lost time, and other things that would definitely call into question whether everything happened at all (even if the particulars were mixed up).
Right. I feel the same way. I didn’t over-analyze the movie as to what is real or not real.

Who knows? I don’t.
Thanks for that.

Whatever TF that means.

Thanks for a decent answer -- hard to get on this site.

The reason I asked is that I wouldn't think that the daughter would tolerate for an instant her boyfriend slapping her dad. All the other scenes in the movie seemed to be real remembrances by the father but out of time synch and with different faces and in different places -- which would seem possible for someone with dementia -- scrambling things from the past.

The reason I asked is that I wouldn't think that the daughter would tolerate for an instant her boyfriend slapping her dad. All the other scenes in the movie seemed to be real remembrances by the father but out of time synch and with different faces and in different places -- which would seem possible for someone with dementia -- scrambling things from the past.
My memory is wonky, too, ironically enough: was the slap in front of anyone? I thought it was just the two of them?

My memory is wonky, too, ironically enough: was the slap in front of anyone? I thought it was just the two of them?
Thanks Yoda. I'll let it go now.

Hmm, sorry, I don't follow. Wasn't suggesting you let it go! I was genuinely asking. My memory was that it was just two of them but I could definitely be wrong. My memory could just be me unconsciously thinking "I'd have reacted the same way as you if it were more than two people," since my wife and I like to sort of unpack those kinds of implications, but maybe not.

If there was a third person there and I'm misremembering, then I think your interpretation (or at least, the implication of your question) is correct.

I didn’t over-analyze the movie as to what is real or not real.
All his memories seemed to be composed of "real" components, just jumbled with respect to time, place, and faces. It only makes sense to assume that the daughter's boyfriend may have slapped him -- he was becoming more frustrated with the old man living in the same flat. Heck, I wanted to reach thru the screen and slap him.

Hmm, sorry, I don't follow. Wasn't suggesting you let it go! I was genuinely asking. My memory was that it was just two of them but I could definitely be wrong. My memory could just be me unconsciously thinking "I'd have reacted the same way as you if it were more than two people," since my wife and I like to sort of unpack those kinds of implications, but maybe not.

If there was a third person there and I'm misremembering, then I think your interpretation (or at least, the implication of your question) is correct.
The slap occurred when the two of them were alone in a room. But the daughter was there in another room and came in immediately to console her dad, who was crying. She didn't see the slap. It wasn't a hard slap, and I think he did it twice. Also the "he" was shown twice, as two different people, saying the same words just before the slap.

Let me quit with this question before I get accused of "over-analyzing" again.

What most people call over-analyzing I just call analyzing.

Anyway, thanks for the refresher/clarification. I should revisit this film, but my general feeling is that it is very meticulously crafted to hold up to additional scrutiny. Seems like a lot of care went into it. One of the more delightful and moving surprise films of the last few years.

What most people call over-analyzing I just call analyzing.

Anyway, thanks for the refresher/clarification. I should revisit this film, but my general feeling is that it is very meticulously crafted to hold up to additional scrutiny. Seems like a lot of care went into it. One of the more delightful and moving surprise films of the last few years.
I think it's a great movie but a bit scary to watch, since I'm rapidly approaching that age myself.