Does The Day The Earth Stood Still count as an alien invasion movie?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
My friend and I were discussing the best ones, and he said Independence Day, where The Day The Earth Stood Still may be my favorite, but does that one count, since

SPOILER

the aliens don't really necessarily invade but threaten too?

I mean, there's no objective answer to this. "Count" to who? The Worldwide Consortium of People Who Classify Alien Invasion Movies?

If you use the word "invasion" literally, then it's not. If you don't, then it is. It depends on what part of an "invasion movie" you think is the important part. Is it interesting specifically for the idea of aliens taking over land, or is it interesting because of the dynamics of aliens trying to, or because of the inevitable commentary on our flaws? I think, for most people, it's the latter that's interesting, so it doesn't matter if it's only threatened. But it's not really an answerable question.

The original 1951 movie, definitely not.
It's simply a visitor, who gives Earth an ultimatum.

The remake in 2008 could be regarded as a borderline invasion movie, as the finale involves mass CGI destruction when the CGI GORT turns into a swarm of CGI insects ... which is eventually halted.

My friend and I were discussing the best ones, and he said Independence Day, where The Day The Earth Stood Still may be my favorite, but does that one count, since

SPOILER

the aliens don't really necessarily invade but threaten too?
I wouldn't have said so myself. By the same token I don't think you could call any version of The Thing an alien invasion movie.

Probably the worst alien invasion film of them all, keanu reeves should burry his face in the sand after that one, awful film

Probably the worst alien invasion film of them all, keanu reeves should burry his face in the sand after that one, awful film
I remember Vera Farmiga saying that she wanted to do that film but apparently missed out (always nice to remember Vera full stop ).

I've seen the original film but it's less fresh in my mind. I feel though as if with all the CGI in the world they're never going to get the same awesomeness generated by the original Gort, Michael Rennie's solid Klaatu and THAT Bernard Herrmann score.

Yep I meant I really like the original one, although I don't remember the remake being terrible or anything, but maybe I need to watch it again. I didn't like the ending to the remake as much as the original's ending.

Well I don't know what my favorite alien invasion movie is, if that one doesn't count. Surely there has got be one out there that is better than Independence Day?

Does Knowing (2009) count?

Yep I meant I really like the original one, although I don't remember the remake being terrible or anything, but maybe I need to watch it again. I didn't like the ending to the remake as much as the original's ending.

Well I don't know what my favorite alien invasion movie is, if that one doesn't count. Surely there has got be one out there that is better than Independence Day?

Does Knowing (2009) count?
probably independance day for me, yes, awesome film and still hasn t aged after 23 years

What about War of the Worlds. How can no one have mentioned that?

I didn't see the original War of the Worlds, but saw the remake and didn't like it. I could check out the original. The Arrival (1996), is also a pretty good one too.

I like the line in the remake – I forget whether it's in the original – where Klaatu says he's had a form that would "horrify" humans. It occurred to me that in Doctor Who: Silver Nemesis, from my era, the living statue of the title says basically the same thing to Ace.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I like the line in the remake – I forget whether it's in the original – where Klaatu says he's had a form that would "horrify" humans. It occurred to me that in Doctor Who: Silver Nemesis, from my era, the living statue of the title says basically the same thing to Ace.
No, that line was not in the original.

No, that line was not in the original.
Well then that's a very interesting coincidence – Silver Nemesis was made in 1988.

Very creepy line, because it leaves it to the audience to imagine all kinds of things.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Well then that's a very interesting coincidence – Silver Nemesis was made in 1988.

Very creepy line, because it leaves it to the audience to imagine all kinds of things.
In my opinion, the original was far better than the remake.