"Boston Legal"

Tools    

First let me say, I have never really liked a David E. Kelly show. Ever. I thought "Chicago Hope" was watchable, but nothing special despite a fantastic cast (yes, mainstream but I truly enjoyed "E.R." much, much more). "Picket Fences" had a good cast too, but was way too silly and all over the place. "The Practice" was a waste of time, and "Ally McBeal" proved that annoying does not equal smart. "Boston Public" was never sure what kind of show it wanted to be, and it showed. Even by the time Kelly had taken the reigns at "L.A. Law", it had become a self-parody of what it once was. "Snoops" and "Girl's Club" don't even bare a mention.

Given all that history, I was not even planning on watching ten minutes of "Boston Legal". Because it was in syndication, I had suffered through quite a few episodes of "The Practice" over the years, and even purposefully tuned into the first couple that introduced James Spader's character as that series was winding down - just because I like Spader so much. As always, I was monstrously unimpressed. Oh, well.

I had decided to give "Desperate Housewives" a chance, mainly because I adore Felicity Huffman and thought given the premise and commercials that it had a chance of being a good, dark satire. After an OK beginning, it became clear to me "Housewives" wasn't going anywhere and wasn't something I was going to continue to watch. BUT, just out of basic laziness, I had kept it on the same channel those first few weeks, and even though at first I wasn't paying attention, that damn "Boston Legal" show was growing on me. And fast. By the fourth week of the season, I had completely ditched "Housewives" and had surprisingly become a fan of "Boston Legal".

Very surprisingly.

On paper, there's nothing about the show that I'd want to tune in for - other than my Spader fandom. But gah-damnit! It's a very funny, well-written, brilliantly cast, incredibly FUN program. Spader and William Shatner in particular are amazing. Yes, I too am shocked to be typing that Shatner is great at anything other than making fun of himself, but he's just perfect as the character Denny Crain - a once ruthless and brilliant lawyer who may be slowly (or not so slowly) succumbing to Alzheimers and/or insanity. And Spader...man, the role of the slick and unorthadox but oddly ethical Alan Shore is SO in his wheelhouse. The two of them MAKE the show. But the supporting cast around them is pretty strong too, including good ol' Rene Auberjonois as the other elder partner, Monica Potter (Without Limits, Along Came a Spider) as a goody-goody who keeps finding herself corrupted by Shore's style and antics, Mark Valley ("Keen Eddie") as the way too good-looking rival who can't seem to get one up on Shore, and the stunningly sexy Rhona Mitra and Lake Bell as female lawyers who have, only half a season in, already both slept with Shore. I believe after the holiday break when the show comes back on the air, Candice Bergan is joining as a regular, as the other senior partner. I've always liked her, so I'm anxious to see what kind of character they'll give her.

"Boston Legal" airs on ABC at 10pm on Sunday nights. Give it a shot. The characters are so well written and the banter so addictive, I think it's a show you could jump in just about anywhere and start to enjoy almost instantly - having not seen the first ten episodes won't be an impossible hinderance. Anyone in the U.S., check it out if you get a chance. You may be happily surprised by the quality and fun of it too.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Well, Mr. Holden, I'll be checking it out and reporting back.

Clearly, Shatner is responsible for this strange attraction.