Born Today

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Wow! GB, that's way cool and it sounds like you had a great time too.

I just read that Jack Wild passed at 53, too young! Have you seen Oliver! (1968) Jack played The Artful Dodger. I might have seen it but as it's a musical Dickens I should watch it again. Sounds like a fun movie.

Yeah, that con meet and greet was one of my favorites. (I think the only meet and greet that was better was the one with Stan Lee and Henry Winkler.) Jack Wild was such a nice guy, but he was so thin that he looked sick when I met him. (But he didn't seem to be sick at all.)

I love "Oliver!". It's one of my favorite musicals. I even have a bunch of the songs on my mp3 player. Jack Wild is fantastic as the Artful Dodger. IMO he steals the movie.

GB, now I'm really impressed, you actually meet somebody who dated Cindy Williams, that's way cool in my book!

I know who Stan Lee is and for the comic fan that would be a thrill to meet him too. I'm going to have to get Oliver! I have such a huge list of 'too watch' movies from this site that I don't think I ever will get to leave the house.

GB, now I'm really impressed, you actually meet somebody who dated Cindy Williams, that's way cool in my book!

I know who Stan Lee is and for the comic fan that would be a thrill to meet him too. I'm going to have to get Oliver! I have such a huge list of 'too watch' movies from this site that I don't think I ever will get to leave the house.

I know the feeling about the huge list of "to watch" movies. I have a long list of movies to watch for the Movie Tournament that I already joined, plus the movies that made the 70s list that I've never heard of that sound interesting, and now I have a whole bunch of movies to watch for the upcoming 60s list, plus some that I want to rewatch before submitting a list.

And on top of that, there's a Top TV Shows list that I'm working on for the TV section here too. No wonder I'm so tired all the time. My eyes never get a chance to rest.

Actor/Actress Born Today 31-07-2014

Richard Griffiths

Wesley Snipes

Ben Chaplin

Charlie Carver

B.J. Novak

Also born July 31st:

J.K. Rowling - Writer, best known for "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"

Stanley R. Jaffe - Producer, best known for "Kramer vs. Kramer", "The Bad News Bears" and "Fatal Attraction".

Bill Todman - Producer, best known for the game shows "The Price Is Right", "What's My Line?", "To Tell the Truth" and "The Match Game".

Ted Cassidy - Actor, best known as Lurch, the butler on the TV show "The Addams Family".

Michael Biehn - Actor, best known as Kyle Reese in "The Terminator".

Dean Cain - Actor, best known as Clark Kent / Superman in the TV show ""Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman".

Geoffrey Lewis - Character Actor. He is probably best known for his appearances in Clint Eastwood films, including "Bronco Billy", "High Plains Drifter" and "Every Which Way But Loose".

Barry Van Dyke - Actor, Son of legendary entertainer, Dick Van Dyke. He is best known as Steve Sloan on the TV show "Diagnosis Murder".

James Read - Actor, best known as George Hazard on the mini-series "North and South", and as Murphy Michaels on the TV show "Remington Steele".

Curt Gowdy - Sportscaster, Was the only play-by-play broadcaster to cover American Football League (AFL) games on both ABC & NBC during its 10-year existence. Sportscaster for the New York Yankees (1949-1951) and Boston Red Sox (1951-1966). "Game of the Week" announcer (1967-1976). Gowdy has broadcast 13 World Series and 16 All-Star Games. First individual sports figure to win a Peabody Award for outstanding Journalism. Won 7 Emmys for sports coverage and 6 Emmys for his TV program The American Sportsman (1965). Ranked #4 by the American Sportscasters Association in its list of the Top 50 Sportscasters of All-Time (January 2009).

Mark Cuban - Bought the Dallas Mavericks basketball team on January 14, 2000. He and Broadcast.com partner Todd Wagner are large stockholders in Lions Gate Entertainment which produces and distributes motion picture and television programming. Has been listed on the Forbes 400 Richest Americans list since 2000 with an estimated net worth of 1.3 to 1.9 billion dollars.

Leon Durham - Former Major League Baseball player, first baseman (1980-1989) with the St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago Cubs and Cincinnati Reds. Named to Baseball Digest magazine's 1980 Rookie All-Star Team. Named to 1982 and 1983 National League All Star Teams. Member of 1984 National League Eastern Division Champion Chiucago Cubs team.

John Vukovich - Former Major League Baseball player, Infielder for Philadelphia Phillies (1970-1971; 76-77; 79-81), Milwaukee Brewers (1973-1974), and Cincinnati Reds (1975). Member of 1975 World Series Champion Cincinnati Reds team. Member of 1976-1977 National League Eastern Division Champion Philadelphia Phillies teams. Member of 1980 World Series Champion Philadelphia Phillies team.

Quote: Bill Todman - Producer, best known for the game shows "The Price Is Right", "What's My Line?", "To Tell the Truth" and "The Match Game".

Some great game shows there! One of the 'good things' about having a bad cold and staying home from grade school was laying on the coach all day watching game shows that otherwise I would have never seen.

I never was good at The Price is Right, I mean what does a kid now about the price of groceries anyway???
The Match Game was a hoot, there was always a bit of adult naughtiness in the questions and answers and they great B list celebrities too!

Quote: Bill Todman - Producer, best known for the game shows "The Price Is Right", "What's My Line?", "To Tell the Truth" and "The Match Game".

Some great game shows there! One of the 'good things' about having a bad cold and staying home from grade school was laying on the coach all day watching game shows that otherwise I would have never seen.

I never was good at The Price is Right, I mean what does a kid now about the price of groceries anyway???
The Match Game was a hoot, there was always a bit of adult naughtiness in the questions and answers and they great B list celebrities too!

I used to love watching game shows, but I stopped watching them when the Game Show Network started doing so much annoying talking during the commercial breaks. It just ruined the fun of the game shows for me. (Now I watch court shows during the day.)

My problem with "The Price is Right" was that the prices on the west coast (where the show was filmed) was never the same as the prices here on the east coast, so I always got the prices wrong.

Back in the 70s, they tried changing the name of the show every year. I remember "Match Game '73", and then "Match Game '74". I'm not sure how long it lasted before they stopped renaming the show every year.

Actor/Actress Born Today 1-08-2014

Jason Momoa

David Wain

Max Carver

Demian Bichir

Sam Mendes

Also born on August 1st:

Francis Scott Key - He wrote the poem "The Defense of Fort McHenry" which was subsequently set to the melody of composer John Stafford Smith's composition "To Anacreon in Heaven" and has gone on to be internationally known as "The Star-Spangled Banner." "The Star-Spangled Banner" was adopted as the American anthem by President Woodrow Wilson in 1916 and further confirmed as such by a Congressional resolution signed by President Herbert Hoover in 1931. Moreover, the stanza "In God is Our Trust" was adopted as the national motto by law in 1956. Inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1970. The US Navy named a submarine the USS Francis Scott Key in his honor.

Herman Melville - Writer, best known for "Moby Dick". Pictured on a 20¢ US commemorative postage stamp issued in his honor, 1 August 1984.

Tom Wilson - Writer, Creator of the single-panel newspaper comic "Ziggy".

Michael Stewart - Writer, best known for "Hello, Dolly!" and "Bye Bye Birdie". Won four Tony Awards: two in 1961 for "Bye, Bye Birdie" as Best Author (Musical) and for the book as part of the Best Musical winner; and in 1964 for "Hello, Dolly!," as Best Author (Musical) and for the book as part of the Best Musical winner. He was also nominated on eight other occasions: in 1962, with Helen Deutsch, as Best Author (Musical) and for the book as part of a Best Musical nomination for "Carnival;" in 1975, as Best Book (Musical) for "Mack and Mabel;" in 1977, as Best Book (Musical) and Best Score (lyrics) with Cy Coleman's music for "I Love My Wife;" in 1980, as Best Score (lyrics) with Cy Coleman's music, for "Barnum;" in 1981, as Best Book (Musical) with Mark Bramble for a revival of "42nd Street;" and in 1985, as Best Book (Musical) for "Harrigan 'n' Hart."

J. Lee Thompson - Director, best known for "The Guns of Navarone", "Mackenna's Gold", "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes", "Battle for the Planet of the Apes" and "10 to Midnight".

Jack Shea - Director, best known for the TV shows "Sanford and Son", "The Jeffersons", "Silver Spoons" and "Designing Women". President of the Directors Guild of America (DGA) from 1997-2002.

Martin Melcher - Producer, best known for "Pillow Talk", "Lover Come Back", "That Touch of Mink", "The Thrill of It All", "Send Me No Flowers" and "With Six You Get Eggroll".

Henry Jones - Actor, best known for "Vertigo", "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?", "3:10 to Yuma", "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and as Judge Jonathan Dexter on the TV show "Phyllis". He won Broadway's 1958 Tony Award for Best Supporting or Featured Actor (Dramatic) for "Sunrise at Campobello."

Dom DeLuise - Comedian, Actor, best known for "Blazing Saddles", "Silent Movie", "Fatso", "Smokey and the Bandit II" and "The Cannonball Run".

Arthur Hill - Actor, best known for "The Andromeda Strain" and the TV show "Owen Marshall, Counselor at Law".

Terry Kiser - Actor, " best known as Bernie in "Weekend at Bernie's".

Yves Saint-Laurent - French fashion designer who is regarded as one of the greatest names in fashion history.

Jerry Garcia - Singer, guitarist, vocalist, songwriter for The Grateful Dead. Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (as a member of The Grateful Dead). In the US, there is a Ben & Jerry's brand of ice cream called "Cherry Garcia".

Joe Elliott - Lead singer of the rock band Def Leppard. Original member of Def Leppard since inception (1977).

Coolio - Rap artist, Singer

Alfonse D'amato - Former U.S. Senator (R-New York) (1991 - 1999).

Jill Trenary - Professinal Figure Skater. 1990 Ladies World Figure Skating champion. Three time U.S. Nationals Ladies Figure Skating champion. Married to Christopher Dean of Olympic skating team Torvill and Dean.

Actor/Actress Born Today 02-08-2014

Mary-Louise Parker

Peter O'Toole

Edward Furlong

Jacinda Barrett

Myrna Loy

Nice Pics LiaBens

I actually recognize two of these people (I'm not real up on current actors). Peter O'Toole of course.....and Myrna Loy, (who I've seen in a lot of films). She started in the silent movie era. She was in a hilarious film with Cary Grant called, Mr Blandings Builds his Dream House (1948)

I'm sorry this is so late, but a car hit an electrical pole near here, and took out the power grid in this whole area. I've had no power all day long.

Also born on August 2nd:

Jack L. Warner - Producer. He founded Warner Bros. Pictures Inc. in 1923 with his brothers Harry M. Warner, Albert Warner, and Sam Warner. Best known for "The Jazz Singer", "Casablanca", "Yankee Doodle Dandy", "Arsenic and Old Lace", "To Have and Have Not", "Christmas in Connecticut", "The Big Sleep", "A Star Is Born", "My Fair Lady", "Camelot" and "1776". One of the 36 founders of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS).

Kevin Smith - Producer, Director, Writer, Actor. Best known for "Clerks", "Mallrats", "Chasing Amy", "Dogma", "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" and "Jersey Girl".

Wes Craven - Writer, Producer. Best known for "A Nightmare on Elm Street", "The Hills Have Eyes" and "The People Under the Stairs".

Simon Kinberg - Producer, Writer. Best known for "X-Men: Days of Future Past", "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" and "Elysium".

Bill Scott - Prodicer, Writer, Actor. Best known for "The Bullwinkle Show", "Rocky and His Friends" and "The Dudley Do-Right Show".

Charles Bennett - Writer, Director. Best known for "The 39 Steps", "Sabotage", "Foreign Correspondent" and "The Man Who Knew Too Much".

Andrew Gold - Composer. His 1978 hit single, "Thank You For Being a Friend", was later used as the theme for the TV show "The Golden Girls".

Bill Roberts - Director, best known for "Dumbo", "Bambi", "Pinocchio", "Fantasia", "The Three Caballeros" and "Saludos Amigos".

Carroll O'Connor - Actor, best known as Archie Bunker in the TV show "All in the Family", and as Chief Gillespie in the TV show "In the Heat of the Night".

Gary Merrill - Actor, best known for "All About Eve", "Witness to Murder" and the TV show "Young Dr. Kildare".

Nehemiah Persoff - Actor, best known for "The Harder They Fall", "The Wrong Man" and "Some Like It Hot".

Joanna Cassidy - Actress, best known for "Blade Runner", "Under Fire" and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".

Sam Worthington - Actor, best known for "Avatar", "Terminator Salvation", "Clash of the Titans" and "Man on a Ledge".

Butch Patrick - Actor, best known as Eddie Munster in the TV show "The Munsters", and for the Saturday Morning Krofft TV show "Lidsville".

Hallie Kate Eisenberg - Actress, best known for "Paulie", "Bicentennial Man" and as "the Pepsi Girl" in a series of Pepsi commercials in the early 2000s.

Hank Cochran - Country music singer, songwriter. He was elected to the Nashville Songwriters Association International Hall of Fame in 1974.

Nice list GB.

If it wasn't for Jack Warner, the movie industry would have been vastly different. The Warner Bros were knowing for doing 'from the headlines' top movies, sort of a 1930s version of the reality show. Oh and Bugs Bunny's home is Warner.

Gary Merrill is also known as Mr Davis...as in the husband of Bette Davis. Which could not be an easy gig.

Nice list GB.

If it wasn't for Jack Warner, the movie industry would have been vastly different. The Warner Bros were knowing for doing 'from the headlines' top movies, sort of a 1930s version of the reality show. Oh and Bugs Bunny's home is Warner.

Gary Merrill is also known as Mr Davis...as in the husband of Bette Davis. Which could not be an easy gig.

Yeah, I was surprised when I saw some of the people who IMDB did not have listed on their home page. Some of these people deserved "top billing" over those who were on their main page. (The people in LiaBens' list.)

Born on August 3rd:

John Thomas Scopes - A teacher in Tennessee, who, taught a theory of evolution and he fell foul of the state's education laws. His subsequent trial ("The Scopes Monkey Trial") was the inspiration for the play and the film "Inherit the Wind" (1960).

John Landis - Director, best known for "Animal House", "The Blues Brothers", "An American Werewolf in London", "Trading Places", "Twilight Zone: The Movie" and "Michael Jackson's Thriller".

Tony Bennett - Singer, Best known for hit ballads like "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" (a come back hit released in 1962), and "Rags to Riches" (released in 1954). Received the Pied Piper lifetime achievement award from the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers in May 2002. Inducted into the Big Band and Jazz Hall of Fame in 1997. He was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 1560 Vine Street in Hollywood, California. He was inducted into the 2011 New Jersey Hall of Fame for his contributions to the Arts and Entertainment Industry. When 85-year-old Bennett's album "Duets II" topped the Billboard 200 chart (Sep. 2011), he became the oldest living artist in history to capture the peak position.

Martin Sheen - Actor, best known for "Apocalypse Now", "The Final Countdown", and as President Bartlet on the TV show "The West Wing".

Jean Hagen - Actress, best known as Lina Lamont in "Singin' in the Rain". Also known for "The Asphalt Jungle", "Adam's Rib", and as Danny Thomas' first wife, Margaret Williams, on the TV show "Make Room for Daddy".

Martha Stewart - Producer, best known for the TV show "Martha Stewart Living".

Richard Adler - Songwriter, Composer. His best known songs include "Hernando's Hideaway", "Steam Heat" and "You've Gotta Have Heart". With his collaborator Jerry Ross, won four Tony Awards, two in 1955 for "The Pajama Game" and two in 1956 for "Damn Yankees!," each year as Best Composer and Lyricist and as music and lyrics for the Best Musical winner. He was also Tony-nominated in 1962 as Best Composer for "Kwamina." Inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1984. He was nominated for a 1998 Laurence Olivier Theatre Award for "Damn Yankees!", for Outstanding Musical Production of the 1997 season.

James Komack - Producer, Actor. Best known for the TV shows "Mister Roberts", "The Courtship of Eddie's Father", "Chico and the Man" and "Welcome Back, Kotter".

Tom Whedon - Writer, best known for the TV shows "Captain Kangaroo", "The Electric Company", "Alice" and "It's a Living". Father of Joss Whedon, Zack Whedon and Jed Whedon.

Ray Bloch - Composer, songwriter, conductor, pianist, author and arranger. Best known as the musical director on the TV show "The Honeymooners", as the bandleader on the TV show "The Jackie Gleason Show", and as the composer of the theme music for the TV show "Science Fiction Theatre".

Evangeline Lilly - Actress, best known as Kate Austen on the TV show "Lost".

Michael Ealy - Actor, best known as Dorian on the TV show "Almost Human".

John C. McGinley - Actor, best knwon as Dr. Perry Cox on the TV show "Scrubs".

Jay North - Actor, best known as Dennis Mitchell on the TV show "Dennis the Menace".

Johnny Graham - Performer and composer. Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000 (as a member of Earth Wind & Fire). Earth, Wind, & Fire were awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 7080 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.

Tom Brady - NFL quarterback. In 2004, he led the New England Patriots to the their second NFL championship in three years with a 32-29 victory over the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII. Was named Super Bowl MVP for the second time. In the first two Super Bowls he has played in, Brady was named the Super Bowl MVP, becoming one of only four players in NFL history to win this award more than once. In the course of leading the 2007 Patriots to the first 16-0 regular season finish in NFL history, he set a new NFL record for touchdown passes with 50, breaking the old record of 49 set by Peyton Manning three seasons earlier. He then proceeded to lead the Patriots into Super Bowl XLII against the New York Giants. Named the Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year for 2007. Named the 2007 NFL Most Valuable Player; received 49 of 50 votes cast, with one vote going to Brett Favre. He was the winner of the Associated Press 2010 NFL Most Valuable Player (MVP) award, by unanimous vote. This was the first unanimous vote for this award since the AP began using a nationwide panel of media members. He was awarded the NFL's first unanimous choice for Most Valuable Player after the 2010 season.

Troy Glaus - Leaugue Baseball player. Batted .385 with 3 Home Runs and 8 Runs Batted In in the 2002 World Series against the Giants. Glaus recorded six extra-base hits in the World Series, pacing Barry Bonds. Won the 2002 World Series MVP.

Sid Bream - Former Major Leaugue Baseball player. Member of 1983 and 1985 National League Western Division Champion Los Angeles Dodgers teams. Member of 1990 National League Eastern Division Champion Pittsburgh Pirates team. Member of 1991 and 1992 National League Champion Atlanta Braves teams. Member of 1993 National League Western Division Champion Atlanta Braves team.

Kevin Elster - Former Major Leaugue Baseball player. He has a World Series ring with the New York Mets (1986). In the 1988-89 seasons, Elster set the major league record for consecutive games without an error for a shortstop at 88 games.