The Good, The Bad, and The Overlooked

Tools    

MICHAEL DOUGLAS
GOD: Wonder Boys (2000)
BAD: Shining Through (1992)
OVERLOOKED: The American President (1995)

NEXT:
Geena Davis
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Too slow.

So it's still Chuck Grodin, not Buffy (with her extensive film career and all).

Oh, sorry, I didn't see your post...

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
NEXT:
Geena Davis

The Good- The accidental tourist
the bad- cutthroat island
the overlooked- long kiss goodnight (granted it packed a better punch b4 the bourne flicks came out)

next- William Hurt

NEXT:
Jack Lemmon

The Good- Irma la Duce
the bad- grumpier old men
the overlooked - missing

next- alec baldwin

NEXT:
Forest Whitaker
The Good - The last king of Scotland
the bad- Repo Men
the overlooked- Johnny handsome

next- dan ackroyd

This one was tough, as I hadn't seen a lot of the movies in his bio.

Joseph Cotten

the good-Soylent green(1967)
the bad- the hearse(1980)
the overlooked-Heavens Gate

JT Walsh

JT Walsh (this one's almost impossible, too)

The Good: Needful Things
The Bad: Good Morning, Vietnam
The Overlooked: Pleasantville

Next: Joanne Whalley

Semper Fooey
JT Walsh (this one's almost impossible, too)

Next: Joanne Whalley
You gotta be kidding.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Joanne Whalley

The Good: "The Singing Detective"
The Bad: Trial by Jury
The Overlooked: Scandal

NEXT:

Clark Gable

Eli Wallach

The Good- Magnificent Seven
the Bad-Mamas Boy
The Overlooked- Article 99

next- kiefer sutherland

Semper Fooey
Keifer Sutherland

Good: Stand by Me

Bad: Freddie the Fly

Overlooked: Dark City

Next: John Wayne

Semper Fooey

Lists

September 2, 2008
Underrated Sci-Fi Movies: Five We Missed, Five We Didn't
Posted by CoolerKing in Lists, Features
We've had a massive response to last week's feature on Ten Truly Underrated Sci-Fi Movies, a response that's taught us two things - 1). People have a true, hardcore passion for talking about their favorite sci-fi films and 2). People effing HATE Aeon Flux. (We knew it was going to be an unpopular choice, but sometimes, you've just got to live dangerously.) But the main thing we want to get across to our readers is "We've heard you." We are self-obsessed, self-esteem-challenged narcissists, and we've read every comment, critique, and screed you left on link networking sites, messageboards, bathroom walls, burned with gasoline onto our mom's front lawns... we get it. We've heard your take on what the fan community as a whole considers to be honest-and-truly THE most underrated sci-fi films of all time - several of which did NOT appear on our original list - and we have to admit that many of you had some excellent, well-argued points.

On the flip side, many of you also sounded like stark-raving idiots. BLADE RUNNER is underrated? In what galaxy is one of THE most influential, frequently-cited sci-fi epics considered "underrated"? (The same goes for Brazil.) And whoever suggested that The Thirteenth Floor or Ultraviolet are anything but colossal time-sucks needs to turn their geek-credentials in at the door and quietly move towards the exits. However, to appease the masses and acknowledge that we're EXTREMELY fallible here at MovieRetriever.com, thanks to your plentiful feedback, we've assembled this list of five underrated sci-fi flicks that we missed the first time around (with some reasons why they were excluded in the first place) and five other less-inspiring reader suggestions that we're completely unwilling to budge on. (Looking at you, Event Horizon.)

FIVE UNDERRATED SCI-FI MOVIES WE MISSED THE FIRST TIME

1. Dark City(1998)

Why We Missed It: Believe us, we wish we hadn't. Without question, Dark City was THE number one movie most frequently brought up in discussions of our original list, usually in the context of statements like, "The very fact that Dark City is not on this list proves that whoever authored it is a brain-dead, chromosome-deficient colon parasite." (Only we're dressing up the language a bit to make it less hurtful.) Don't get us wrong. We didn't forget Dark City. Who could forget Alex Proyas' gorgeously complex blend of film noir and hardcore sci-fi (aside from Academy voters, that is)? Particularly since the damn-near amazing Dark City: Director's Cut DVD has just been released and is stunning. However, we left Dark City off our original list since the film does have pretty vocal and passionate critical support in many circles (Roger Ebert might be its biggest fan) and, since its release, it HAS developed quite a fan base. As we mentioned in our Tron entry in our previous list, the term "underrated" is very loaded and open to a million interpretations, so, at the time of writing the first list, we didn't really feel that Dark City was underrated. However, after the backlash we got for excluding it, we're totally willing to revisit that decision and give you guys whatever you want. (Please don't hurt our families...)

I figiued it was overlooked because when it was first released, it didn't do much businrss and got mostly negative reviews. I see it has developed a following since then , but at the time it disappeared from theaters pretty quickly.

JOHN WAYNE
"THE DUCK"
(I Says)

GOOD: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
BAD: Big Jim McLain (1952)
OVERLOOKED: The High & the Mighty (1954)

NEXT:
Woody Strode

Woody Strode

The Good- Spartacus

The bad- kingdom of the spiders

The Overlooked- The Professionals

Next: Gary Oldman

Semper Fooey
Gary Oldman:

The good: Sid and Nancy
The bad: Lost in Space