'One Hit Wonder' directors?

Tools    

Oh boy....
I still stand by most of my list. I didn't write it to cater to popular opinion. I suppose it's more a reflection of my tastes. Yes, I'm aware that James Cameron made T2, Aliens, Titanic, and Avatar. Yes, I'm aware that Joss Whedon has a long resume of successful TV shows. And so on...
I also think it's a mistake to make the black-and-white Statement that none of these are one-hit wonders. It's my list and it's my tastes, not yours. It's as if you want me to adhere to popular opinion, which was absolutely not my intention. There are widely popular opinions and there are even films/directors that are factually well-made etc. but that doesn't mean I have to be on the bandwagon or even agree with the majority.
Yes, I know the definition of a one-hit wonder.
I kind of want to start a thread about this Hitchcock stuff, but maybe the egos are too much...

Oh boy....
I still stand by most of my list. I didn't write it to cater to popular opinion. I suppose it's more a reflection of my tastes. Yes, I'm aware that James Cameron made T2, Aliens, Titanic, and Avatar. Yes, I'm aware that Joss Whedon has a long resume of successful TV shows. And so on...
I also think it's a mistake to make the black-and-white Statement that none of these are one-hit wonders. It's my list and it's my tastes, not yours. It's as if you want me to adhere to popular opinion, which was absolutely not my intention. There are widely popular opinions and there are even films/directors that are factually well-made etc. but that doesn't mean I have to be on the bandwagon or even agree with the majority.
I kind of want to start a thread about this Hitchcock stuff, but maybe the egos are too much...
Start it. I would love to know how his movies are the same thing over and over.

Person who signs up to forum to criticise other people's tastes and makes statement that Hitchcock makes the same film over and over again (despite making over 60 films) = not got a big ego

People who think Hitchcock hasn't made the same film over and over again in his large filmography = definitely lots of egos there.

I'd love it if we could put aside who has the better movie tastes who's an idiot etc. for a minute.
I joined this website to talk movies, and not much more. I plan to continue doing this as of right now. I think the ideal kind of community for this sort of discussion is one where I can feel comfortable sharing my opinions etc. without being belittled or laughed at. I actually think that defeats the purpose of these kind of communities. To me, some pretty elementary qualities of good discussion is differed opinions and friendly debate. I think shutting down other people etc. devolves it to YouTube-style banter.
I'll leave it at that. My feelings aren't severely hurt or anything, and I plan to still visit these forums. I'm not too angry at anybody; I just believe that we can have more adult and interesting conversations than ones like these.

By the way, everyone who's seriously saying that Hitchcock just kept making one movie over and over again is extremely out of touch.
Psycho and Strangers on a Train are the two masterpiece of Hitchcock in my opinion... movies like Vertigo and Rear Window did absolutely nothing for me

lol at person saying James Cameron is a one hit wonder.......he's like the direct opposite of a one hit wonder.
He's not a ''one hit wonder'' he's more like a ''no hit wonder'' I completely hate him

I'd love it if we could put aside who has the better movie tastes who's an idiot etc. for a minute.
I joined this website to talk movies, and not much more. I plan to continue doing this as of right now. I think the ideal kind of community for this sort of discussion is one where I can feel comfortable sharing my opinions etc. without being belittled or laughed at. I actually think that defeats the purpose of these kind of communities. To me, some pretty elementary qualities of good discussion is differed opinions and friendly debate. I think shutting down other people etc. devolves it to YouTube-style banter.
I'll leave it at that. My feelings aren't severely hurt or anything, and I plan to still visit these forums. I'm not too angry at anybody; I just believe that we can have more adult and interesting conversations than ones like these.
If you're going to be extreme statements that are obviously going to be unpopular, you need to be prepared to back them up and willing to discuss them.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Oh boy....

I don't think this has anything to do with opinions. You are entitled to your opinion.

I'm also not a fan of some of the directors that you named, but you still have to admit that they have already proven themselves as successful directors who are not "one hit wonders".

A "one hit wonder" is a director who has either only made one movie, or has made several movies, but only one of those movies was a hit. The directors that you named have all had multiple hits.

If you're going to be extreme statements that are obviously going to be unpopular, you need to be prepared to back them up and willing to discuss them.
I would love to do that

This forum is very open and welcoming. We were all new once and we will all tell you the same. However if you make extreme statements or throw out an extreme rating you will get an extreme response. We have all been there too.

I think saying Hitchcock, one of the most beloved directors of all time, has made the same movie over and over qualifies as an extreme statement.

He's not a ''one hit wonder'' he's more like a ''no hit wonder'' I completely hate him
I'm not saying I like his movies (there's a few I do like) but a lot of his movies have been financial monsters and critically acclaimed that's why I don't consider him a one hit wonder.

You made that post to get a reaction - you can't then complain about the reaction you receive. If you didn't post it to get a reaction then claiming that the dude who directed the two most successful movies of all time is a one hit wonder may be the worst post I have ever seen

Welcome to the human race...
I like that one movie of his where the blonde lady is terrorised by outside forces and occasionally dies.

Anyway, the only truly objective way by which we can define a film as a success is on a financial scale, and in that sense many of Edo's choices don't fit because they are directors with multiple commercial successes under their belts. Edo seems like they would be aware of that distinction, and since this thread is full of subjective answers then of course they would follow suit.

I like that one movie of his where the blonde lady is terrorised by outside forces and occasionally dies.
That's fine to say but we could literally do that with any genre or director, right? In truth there are not a lot of stories to tell. What is interesting is how compelling those outside forces are and what kind of stakes they create. The characters that are up against those outside forces. How it effects them and those around them.

I don't know if your actually agreeing with him or just having fun. Either way I can't imagine anyone watching Psycho, Rear Windiw, Dial M, and Rope and saying they have seen the same movie.

Welcome to the human race...
That's fine to say but we could literally do that with any genre or director, right? In truth there are not a lot of stories to tell. What is interesting is how compelling those outside forces are and what kind of stakes they create. The characters that are up against those outside forces. How it effects them and those around them.

I don't know if your actually agreeing with him or just having fun. Either way I can't imagine anyone watching Psycho, Rear Windiw, Dial M, and Rope and saying they have seen the same movie.
You got me, I was joking.

When I hear "One hit" for a director I tend to first think of Michael Cimino. But even that is debatable. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot made money (but no one talks about it) but he hit Oscar gold with The Deer Hunter. Problem is after that Heaven's Gate was a financial disaster. Now the movie was hacked to death (and the original cut is now restored), but the theatrical release was a HUGE flop. After that was box office flops and disappointments and one final straight to DVD film.

I have to return some videotapes.
I'd have to go with the man.... err I mean woman that directed the movie in my avatar. American Psycho.

EDIT: Might be smart if I put the director's name lmao.. Mary Harron.

Richard Kelly for Donnie Darko
James McTeigue for V For Vendetta
Sam Mendes for American Beauty

True apart from Sam Mendes who also directed skyfall

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Meir Zarchi for I Spit on Your Grave (1978)
Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez for The Blair Witch Project
Xavier Palud and David Moreau for Ils - Them
Mark Waters for Mean Girls