Apple TV

Tools    

Anyone use Apple TV? Thinking about buying it to stream from my iPad to my TV. Quite expensive though.

I think it's better to buy Chromecast and connect it to normal TV.
You can stream from your smartphone and it's much cheaper solution

Please note I am sure Chromecast works with Android but not 100% sure about iOS, so I suggest you to get some information before you buy it

You've got red on you!
Hey, Stirchley, I have had an Apple TV for a few years and I love it. I stream stuff on it with Netflix and Hulu, and I also use it for HBOGo and other TV channels that have apps on it. It's also nice to throw stuff from my iPad and iPhone onto the TV like photos and movies from my phone that might not necessarily show as an app on the Apple TV.

Right now I have cable, but I went a few years with just the Apple and I was fine. A lot cheaper in the long run that's for sure!

I think it's better to buy Chromecast and connect it to normal TV.
You can stream from your smartphone and it's much cheaper solution
Don’t have a smartphone.

What are you streaming? Online videos? Your own content?
Same as Sylvie does.

Hey, Stirchley, I have had an Apple TV for a few years and I love it. I stream stuff on it with Netflix and Hulu, and I also use it for HBOGo and other TV channels that have apps on it. It's also nice to throw stuff from my iPad and iPhone onto the TV like photos and movies from my phone that might not necessarily show as an app on the Apple TV.

Right now I have cable, but I went a few years with just the Apple and I was fine. A lot cheaper in the long run that's for sure!
Thanks everyone for replying. Most likely will invest in Apple TV later this year. Just for the option of streaming someplace other than on my iPad.

You ready? You look ready.
@Stirchley

Did you ever end up buying an Apple TV? We gifted one this holiday season to my sister, and it’s been great for her. Rock solid performance. I was so impressed by it that I ended up getting one for myself.

@Stirchley

Did you ever end up buying an Apple TV? We gifted one this holiday season to my sister, and it’s been great for her. Rock solid performance. I was so impressed by it that I ended up getting one for myself.
Gosh, no. My tv is almost brand new & it’s not a smart tv. When this tv conks out the only available TVs will be smart ones. So be it.

Gosh, no. My tv is almost brand new & it’s not a smart tv. When this tv conks out the only available TVs will be smart ones. So be it.

I'm missing a little of the logic here, since an apple tv is a streaming device and not actually a TV. Admittedly, the purpose of streaming devices is to supplant a lot of the "smart" functionality of the smart TV.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Hey, guys! Reviving this thread! I have an Apple TV+ subscription till around mid-April.

What should I be bingeing/streaming in the next month. I'm keeping up with the Manhunt series (Abe Lincoln's assassination) and have watched a handful of episodes of For All Mankind. What else should I cram into my watch schedule for the next three or four weeks?

You mean new-ish stuff? "Ted Lasso" and "Shrinking" are both great, but not new. "Shmigadoon!" is a lot of fun. None of the newer programs have grabbed me, of late.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Adventure Starts Here!
You mean new-ish stuff? "Ted Lasso" and "Shrinking" are both great, but not new. "Shmigadoon!" is a lot of fun. None of the newer programs have grabbed me, of late.
Anything that's on the Apple TV platform that I wouldn't be able to stream/find elsewhere. I started Ted Lasso a while back so I should continue with that, for sure!

I think the best show on Apple TV+ is "The Morning Show", so I'd recommend that. Other shows I've enjoyed on Apple TV+ are "Defending Jacob" and "The Crowded Room (though that gets increasingly incredulous as it goes on). I'd also support Holden's recommendation on "Shrinking" and Yoda's recommendation on "Slow Horses", though that is a slower burn type of show. If you are looking for an espionage thriller, it's not that. If you want that, "Tehran" is in that vein, though I do prefer other spy shows like "Homeland" and "The Americans", which are not on Apple TV+. Overall, I find even when I have access to it, I watch the least programming on Apple TV+. Another popular show is "Blackbird". That should get you started!

I thought Lessons in Chemistry was pretty good. It probably helps that I'm a big Brie Larson fan!

I think the best show on Apple TV+ is "The Morning Show", so I'd recommend that. Other shows I've enjoyed on Apple TV+ are "Defending Jacob" and "The Crowded Room (though that gets increasingly incredulous as it goes on). I'd also support Holden's recommendation on "Shrinking" and Yoda's recommendation on "Slow Horses", though that is a slower burn type of show. If you are looking for an espionage thriller, it's not that. If you want that, "Tehran" is in that vein, though I do prefer other spy shows like "Homeland" and "The Americans", which are not on Apple TV+. Overall, I find even when I have access to it, I watch the least programming on Apple TV+. Another popular show is "Blackbird". That should get you started!
I thought Lessons in Chemistry was pretty good. It probably helps that I'm a big Brie Larson fan!
This thread is 7 years old. “Slow Horses” is brilliant.

Big fan also of Larson, but wayyyyyyy too much chemistry in this.