Movies that bring you out of a bad mood

Tools    

We all have 'em, movies we find ourselves watching to get us out of a funk.

Mine are;

School Of Rock

Beetlejuice

Ghostbusters I or II

Casper, favorite movie as a kid

Donnie Darko, not very upbeat but has a great soundtrack and in a non-psychotic way I can relate to the main character.

The Shaggy Dog, the original

The fifth element, ...Milla Jovovich

Mallrats, just seems to have a watchability to it, not sure why.

...uh the post is up there...

Mine:

You guessed it: West Side Story. The very mention of it brings a smile to my face, especially if I'm in a crappy mood.

Note my smile when I mention WSS.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't think I ever get in a bad mood, but it's amazing how much this idiocy can pick me up when I don't even know I need picking up. LOVE it!

&feature=related

The Elected Movie Eliminator
Movies like Meet The Parents or School Of Rock get me out of bad moods, that's the glory of film.

Ice Age! It's really funny. It can make me cry because of laughter. You should watch it.

No surprise, the films that make me laugh are some of the oldies that most of the "kids" probably know nothing about. At the top of the heap are The Miracle at Morgan's Creek and Hail the Conquering Hero, both made in 1944, both directed by Preston Sturges and both starring William Demarest and Eddie Bracken as a 4F civilian during World War II, not a subject that the rest of Hollywood wanted to touch much less make light of during the war years. On top of that, Miracle at Morgan’s Creek embraces the very delicate subject of a young girl who goes to a farewell party for young soldiers headed overseas and becomes pregnant. You can imagine how that struck a nerve during the war years when pregnancies were booming. In the case of Hutton's character, she’s married, but due to an accidental blow to the head, she can’t recall where, to whom, or what false name she used, so there’s no proof of marriage. Sturges skirted so many censorial restrictions in this movie that critic James Agee said “the Hays office must have been raped in its sleep.”

Both films include character actor Freddie Steele, former middleweight boxing champ 1936-1938. His role is more prominent in Hail the Conquering Hero in which he plays a Marine veteran with a mother complex. On the other hand, Miracle also stars Betty Hutton in the only non-singing film of her career, features Diana Lynn who does a great job playing her wiser little sister, and has ace actors Brian Donlevy and Akim Tamiroff reprising their roles from the comedy The Great McGinty (1940), which was also Sturges’ directorial debut.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I find most comedy's such as Happy Gilmore, Waterboy, Hot Shot's 1&Deux, King Pin, Spaceball's.

Other film's such as Friday 13th part 7, Nightmare On Elm Street, Rambo First Blood, Evil Dead, Predator, Aliens, The Crow and Se7en always sort me out of a bad mood.

MovieForums Extra
I'm like Mark F.....I rarely get into a bad mood though I am prone to a funk now and then. When I do get that way, I watch the following, in no particular order...

Paulie - a Disney flick about a talking parrott
Under the Tuscan Sun
Mystery Men
Roxanne
When Harry Met Sally
Shanghai Noon
The Three Amigos - my favorite part was the burning bush
Bed of Roses
Don Juan DeMarco

and the all time best...

The Princess Bride

The Princess Bride or Dodgeball

There are a lot of movies I can't watch if I'm sad because even a lot of the happiest, funniest, best, movies tend to have at least a few deep or sad parts. This makes them great, but when I'm down I need a movie that is basically just pure comedy, lol.

Usually, if it's a really good movie, no matter what the message or theme is, it's the quality of the film itself, not the message that will spark up my mood. I've watched a few sad movies that were so well done that, despite it's theme, have made me feel invigorated for just having the opportunity to have watched a quality film.
However, there a few flicks that possess the ability to provide me with an emotional pick-me-up faster than others. While I'm sure that, if I took the time I could probably come up with a more comprehensive list, since there are alot of 'em (& of those, their reasons for the way they affect me are so varied), that trying to would probably take more time up that I'm willing to take right now.
So here are just a couple that currently spring to mind (I'm numbering 'em 5-1, but that's only in keeping with my reg'lar theme of posting my replies in such a manner. In this particular case, the numbers don't signify any real ranking).
Five movies that can quickly bring me out of a negative mood:

5. 40 Year Old Virgin
By far, my fave of the Apatow comedies. Like Knocked Up, his best films seem to be the ones in which he does triple duty as director, writer, & producer.
In this case, this triple-combo results in a movie whose strength lies not just with the high level of comedy (which probably would've been enough), but also for the fact that at it's heart, this is a story of a "late bloomer" that is handled not just intelligently, but even more importantly, with a genuine heart.
Ofttimes, many of the characters seem to deliver their punchlines with a tempered sense of sympathy towards the plight of the lead character, even when the results lead to a an exasperated situation of disintegrated success (a tried & true formula of the genre).
This movie can be touching & even socially in-depth at times, but without any cost to the number of out-loud laughs.

4. Duck Soup
I'm including this entry cuz since mark f mentioned it earlier & it just happens to be in my top 5 of favorite comedy movies of all time.
Also, coincidently, about a month ago, I just recommended this film to my brother, who had asked me if there were any titles that I could suggest that would bring him a few laffs.
It's truly a classic, with the Bros. Marx carrying on with their timeless mayhem antics & spouting out lines like "I could dance with you till the cows come home. On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows till you came home."
For any of you who haven't yet seen this, IMO, the best of the Marx movies, but have decided to give it a view for the first time, I envy you. It will truly be a gala day for you. And if you're anything like Groucho, the Marx's head hermano, a gal a day is enough for you. You probably couldn't handle any more.

3. Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels
The British try their hand at imitating some of the Tarantinoisms of Pulp Fiction. Or maybe Reservoir Dogs. I dunno. But what I do know is the way that my smile tends to crook as a result of listening to the way Lock Stock's script manages to continually weave up, down & sideways to finally coalesce into an English flavored "duck soup", full of chunky bits of quips, guns & sometimes-almost-hard-to-decipher-yet-humuorously-satisfying East End slang. This film proves that despite their pasty skin pigment, drab skies & even drabbier food, the English can have style.
Not to mention that among the vast cast is included a small but solid bite-strewn & really cool role for Sting (the former Police-man, not the clown-faced wrestler .....you buncha nerds). The singer who, after filming was done, supposedly was responsible for introducing the director of this flick to Madonna. Which later would result in a relationship 'tween said director & material girl. Which later would result in marriage. Which later would then result in the movie Swept Away. Which later would then result in the conclusion that Sting needs to learn to mind his own business.

2. The Empire Strikes Back/E.T., The Extra-Terrestial/Raiders Of The Lost Ark
I tried to avoid mentioning 3 of the most mainstream movies ever, but if I wanna be honest, the truth is that these films mark 3 of my earliest movie-going experiences. Therefore, no matter how much I try to assimilate with all the other adults my age, most of whom have had they're childhood spirits crushed along time ago, Empire, E.T. & Raiders are a trifecta of film affection for me, that never fail to bring a smile to my now grown-up hairy pimp-ass.
Therefore, for this entry I'm counting these 3 as 1 film for the fact they've all had & still have the same level of effect on me. This is a trio of earliy blockbusters that not only shaped the way I enjoy watching movies, but also, they form the foundation of why going to the theatre & having the experience of being swept away by what is playing on the big silver screen has become one the greatest joys in my life.

1. Arachnophobia
This movie always reminds me of a far out "fun" fact I remember reading about once:
Statistics show that the average human will eat about 8 whole spiders while asleep in their lifetime.
Now while that fact (or even the movie) itself doesn't have the power to pull me out of any bad mood I might find myself in, providing such information to the public (including all of my fellow MoFos) sure does.
So y'know....
sleep well tonight, everybody.

Annie Hall!

Just the beginning with Woody Allen makes me laugh!

Nearly any Chickflick.

Die hard 1, 2, 3 and 4 Just the line "Yipee ki ay muthaf**ker" is enough, plus John McClanes life should just instantly make everyones elses seem better.

Old School

Hard Candy, the idea of torturing someone when im in a crap mood is enough to cheer me up just a little.

Any Disney film with its rediculous happy ending.

Female Jungle Poster
Fantasia

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~

MINE ARE:
TEEANGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES FIRST LIVEACTION MOIVE
Agoofy moive. i just love the story and the songs it gets me in great mood
gHOSTBUSERS 1 AND2
the first kid
big mammas' house 1 and 2
mrs doubt fire
spider-man trigoly
National treasures 1 AND2
INDA JONES TRIGOLY

Most of my funks are to do with women so I usually watch something comedic about relationships such as:
- How to lose a guy in 10 days
- Forgetting Sarah Marshall (this one is really awesome for getting over someone)
- Bride Wars
- Definitely Maybe

They don't even have to be good. I just watch them for peace of mind.