What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Man, was I busy this weekend...

Red Cliff
John Woo, 2008

Anyone who cares enough about this film will know that it was edited down Shogun Assassin-style from two separate 2-hour films into a single 160-minute film. The story covers events from the Three Kingdoms era of Chinese history, as the dominant Han dynasty attempts to beat the other two kingdoms into submission. These kingdoms decide to form an alliance and decide to battle the Han forces at the titular location. The bulk of this film focuses on the actions that take place as the two sides play one large chess game of a battle, occasionally pausing to develop the characters.

Red Cliff is, overall, a solid film. Woo's made his name with heavily stylised but compelling action and the variety of fight scenes that are jam-packed into Red Cliff. While the sequences do occasionally fall prey to the cliché of attempting realism by throwing in all kinds of chaotic camerawork and editing, for the most part they are slick, slowed-down goodness. The film's maybe a little too cinematic for its own good at times, but such instances are trivial. I went with a friend who had already seen the original two-film version of this story and he told me that a lot of the character development from the original films had been cut down for the sake of streamlining it as an action piece. In spite of this editing choice, characters are given sufficient development and depth (especially in the case of the film's nominal villain, Cao Cao, who does not come across as a totally despicable pantomime figure to boo and hiss). All in all, Red Cliff is a solid enough film that, for all its storytelling differences from the original Chinese version, is still a fascinating period piece.

GRADE: B

Withnail & I
Bruce Robinson, 1987

I think a lot of you already know how high I rate this film personally and will probably deliver a seriously in-depth write-up one of these days. Needless to say, this marks about viewing number twelve for Bruce Robinson's semi-autobiographical story of a pair of unemployed actors living out their days in 1960s England. However, I'm sure it's a version I hadn't seen before as there were several scenes that felt extended or added in. I'm assuming it's because the old DVD of the film I own and have watched several times already is a slightly edited international version. That seems the likely explanation. Anyway, that's not important. The point is that Withnail & I is just a brilliant bittersweet comedy, managing to hit virtually all the notes. Between Robinson's distinct, flavourful dialogue and the pitch-perfect performances of the cast (has anyone in this movie ever been better?), this is just a piece of cinematic excellence. At least, to me it is.

GRADE: A+

The Horseman
Steven Kastrissios, 2008

Middle-class exterminator Christian finds out that his daughter has died under suspicious circumstances. When he mysteriously receives a clue in the mail, he sets off on a vengeful rampage against the wrongdoers in question, armed with a switchblade, the contents of his toolbox and white-hot rage.

Admittedly, it's a familiar plotline at its very basic level and there's a few elements that I didn't mention that give the story a bit more depth - but it's pretty much your average vengeance movie. The most interesting thing about this film is its execution - made on a shoestring budget, it still looks reasonably polished when compared to more widespread, popular films. Of course, it does resort to the same sort of choppy filmmaking I mentioned when talking about Red Cliff in order to convey intensity (especially during the fight scenes, which are very down-to-earth and brutal) but in this case it actually seems a little more impressive. It's a little weird to think of the action as the high point, especially when it feels like a considerable amount of effort has been invested in the writing and performances. Christian is given enough development to make him remain somewhat sympathetic in spite of his actions,. The rest of the cast hasn't got that much to work with, but they make the most of their characters' limited development.

There were plenty of instances throughout the film where I was reminded of Shane Meadows' Dead Man's Shoes, another revenge film that treads similar ground in a similar style, yet manages to feel a lot more well-rounded. I'm not entirely sure if The Horseman had unreached potential or if it did reach its limited potential, but either way it stands as a film that manages a certain amount of style and intrigue on a small budget that ultimately feels a little hollow.

GRADE: C+

Black Dynamite
Scott Sanders, 2009

Black Dynamite (MIchael Jai White), formerly of the US Army and the CIA but now a vigilante pimp, discovers that his brother has been murdered. In response he goes on a bloodthirsty search for the truth that results in him taking on a nation-wide conspiracy that is too big for anyone - least of all the audience - to comprehend.

Black Dynamite is a film that blurs the lines between exaggerated parody and heartfelt homage - no surprise, considering that it spoofs such an overblown genre as blaxploitation films. I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a straight spoof of blaxploitation in the same way that Airplane! spoofed disaster movies or The Naked Gun spoofed detectives movies, although the funny thing is that everything that happens in the film doesn't seem at all out of place. It feels like the makers were attempting to make a proper blaxploitation film - which explains why the film is so freaking hilarious.

Even if you've never seen a blaxploitation film and won't get the various references to other films, it won't make any difference. Black Dynamite tries to become a pastiche of virtually everything that made blaxploitation films so utterly hilarious and entertaining. Sex, funk, guns, kung-fu...the works, really. And that's just the intentionally entertaining material. Black Dynamite even goes out of its way to reference the inherently poor quality of blaxploitation. Film equipment appears in the shot, actors act horribly, fight scenes look ridiculous...and so on and so forth. The film is stuffed to the gills with jokes of both varieties with a strangely precise method to what appears to be comedic madness. It may just end up being called the funniest film of the year. Highly recommended.

GRADE: B+

I am half agony, half hope.
The Hangover

Transformers 2

Johann von Goethe

Movie Forums Extra
The Hangover - EXCELLENT movie, definitely worth paying to see!

Jaws

The Greening of Southie

I saw Land of the Lost for free. Glad I didn't pay for that one. It sucked.

Happy New Year from Philly!
I saw Food Inc. It is a documentary about corporate farming and its far reaching effects ethically, morally, physically and politically.

Gave me nightmares.

Moon
Duncan Jones, 2009

This has been getting a lot of praise lately and to be honest I can't really find much reason to argue. I thought Moon was pretty damned good on virtually all counts. There are probably some bits that I could pick apart on subsequent viewings but for now I don't really care. I was just sucked into it from the very beginning. It's very polished despite having a relatively low budget, features a storyline that manages to be convoluted enough to intrigue a person but not to the point of confusion, has a great performance by character actor Sam Rockwell and a score by Clint Mansell that was so impressive I stayed all the way through the end credits just to keep listening to it. I just reckoned it was great.

KOYAANISQATSI
Godfrey Reggio, 1983

When I write a review, I usually include a plot synopsis at some point within the first couple of paragraphs. Of course, with Koyaaniqatsi I just can't do such a thing. Why's that? Because there's no plot whatsoever. Of course, there is a very basic plot to it that I could summarise, but it's really more of an abstract that is in all honesty up to personal interpretation of the order in which the various images are presented throughout the film. There are no characters. No dialogue. It's just you and the moving pictures - and the music.

The only words I can think of that do Koyaaniqatsi any justice is to describe it as an absolutely visceral experience. The strength of its imagery and score is so immense that it feels like a relentless assault on your senses for the bulk of the film. The subjects of the images are in and of themselves nothing particularly special - most of the film focuses on everyday life in a bustling metropolis - but it's the way that they're presented that makes them compelling. Through time-lapse photography, what was mundane becomes strangely hypnotic, especially when combined with Philip Glass's frenzied background music running in the background. Once it gets going, it almost never lets up and you're just sucked into watching cars speed down highways or people shuffling through buildings. Even when the film focuses on something slow it's still no less engaging. Before you know it, the film's brief runtime has finished and the lights have gone up.

I'm just stunned. Even though it's crossed my mind that, being a film that is pretty much expressly created for artistic purposes and therefore somewhat pretentious in its delivery (especially with the message at the end, which almost feels like it was shoehorned in, although I can understand how it fits), at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Koyaanisqatsi is just a great piece of cinematic art. It's a fascinating look at the world around us, overwhelming viewers with its intense experimentation in a way that feels just as mystical as the ancient ideals it projects.

It Might Get Loud
Davis Guggenheim, 2009

From the director of An Inconvenient Truth comes a completely different type of documentary, this time focusing on rock music. To be more precise, three legendary guitarists - Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page, U2 guitarist The Edge and Jack White of White Stripes fame. The film occupies itself with exploring everything about this talented trio - their personal history, influences, anything that's shaped them into the musicians they are today - whilst focusing on what happens if you throw all three of them together for a jam session where they alternate between discussing their individual styles and playing songs with one another.

I'm not sure where I start here, actually. I liked the film enough, although I get the feeling it probably won't be considered one of the great music films. Granted, I don't exactly know too much about music, let alone what makes a movie about one great. A lot of the film feels like a slightly polished version of the biographical documentaries you can catch on pay-TV music channels or concert DVDs. The supposed highlight of the film is the jam session, which makes a great deal out of putting Page, Edge and White together to play a few songs, is ultimately sidelined. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though - it wouldn't have been quite as satisfying without a bit of an insight presented into each of the individual guitarists.

Which, in all honesty, someone like me with a relatively limited knowledge of music could've used. The guitarist I have the most familiarity with is Jimmy Page, then Edge , then White (funnily enough, since White's position in the film is supposed to represent the best music that people in my age bracket listen to). It's actually quite interesting to see the individual artists in their own environments. Page's segments are quite fun as he plays old records that influenced him or explores the house where Led Zeppelin recorded their albums. White's are also rather entertaining - just take the film's very first scene, where he builds an impromptu guitar out of wire and wood and questions why anyone would want to buy a guitar. His sense of mischief plays into his segments, as he includes a small Mini-Me in several scenes. The Edge's are interesting as you watch him play with his arrangements, demonstrating how a boring acoustic riff can become something cool through some tweaking. However, when he reflects on Ireland's extremely troubled history throughout the 20th century and the role they play in influencing his music, it feels like a stunningly sober counter-point to what is an otherwise enjoyable music film.

It Might Get Loud is a good film. I doubt it'll end up become the definitive music film of the 2000s, but you just have to enjoy it for what it is - a competently made documentary about three very different musicians and the music they play. What more do you really want?

GRADE: B

HANGOVER
OMG!!!! That movie rocks!!!! n rules!!! I was laughing sooo hard that I cryied at the same time XDDDD
Guys, u really SHOULD watch thisone, trust me XDDDDD

Ma favorites: http://www/onemanga.com http://www.dvdcdgame.com

^^In love with myself... ^^

UP was the last movie I saw in theaters. It is one of the best movies I've ever seen and possibly the best animation movie in the past few years. It's right up there with Finding Nemo. It is a great movie for all ages; men, women, etc...and I would definitely recommend it to all. I absolutely loved it!

Half-Blood Prince

AND

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian in IMAX !

Stay with the blanket!
Hangover

If anyone told me I'd enjoy this movie so much, my response would be sarcastical at best. But seriously, this movie was so crazy it's now ex aequo with "Eurotrip" on my mental 10top list. There were moments I had to forcibly close my mouth shut, because honestly, I shouldn't be laughing... and then went all "GOD noooo, he did it again, ahahaha".

(Oops, English isn't my first language. Mistakes may occur.)

Yesterday I've seen PROPOSAL. It was OK and kinda romatic wit a HAPPY END^^

hmm.... i don't go theaters for movies , i watch it online , and i had seen Halloween II

hmm.... i don't go theaters for movies
Then why did you even bother posting in a thread that's all about talking about the movies you see in theatres?

I went to the cinema today & I saw:

It was a pretty good movie, I would proberly rate it 8.5/10 . Also, I thought Cameron was really great in a role like this, she did a fantastic job .

I've seen Perfect GetAway - this movie is great!!!! Really unexpected ending!!!^^ blood, love... deaths... life... mmm.. It was really cool!!!^^