Barberella- Robert Rodriguez's remake

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Release Date: TBA
Studio: Universal Pictures

Director: Robert Rodriguez
Screenwriter: Neal Purvis, Robert Wade
Starring: Rose McGowan
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: Not Available
Official Website: Not Available
Review: Not Available
DVD Review: Not Available
DVD: Not Available
Movie Poster: Not Available
Production Stills: Not Available
Plot Summary: The year is 40,000. Peacefully floating around in zero-gravity Barbarella is suddenly interrupted by a call from the President of Earth. A young scientist, Durand Durand, is threatening the ancient universal peace and Barbarella is the chosen one to find him and save the world. During her mission, Barbarella never finds herself in a situation where it isn't possible to lose at least part of her already minimal dressing.

"Barbarella" made her debut in 1962 in a French graphic magazine written and illustrated by Jean-Claude Forest, and her adventures have been published around the world. The first film version, starring Jane Fonda produced by Dino De Laurentiis, was released in 1968.

Trailer:
Coming Soon!

Anything's better then the first

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Rose McGowan is Still Barberella
Last August it was revealed that Rose McGowan was set to star in Robert Rodriguez's Barbarella remake at Universal Pictures. But then rumors began over budget issues and that the studio didn't want McGowan in the role.

Wrong, she tells
MTV. "[The news that I was out] was really irritating because I know all the people over there and obviously it wasn't true. It was very malicious and there was no proof. Oftentimes these things have basis in truth but this didn't. I have contracts to prove it."

She added that half of the sets have been built and the costumes are done. She's "even got my spaceships. I've got part of a spaceship built for me!"

The hold up at the moment? The possible Screen Actors Guild strike in June.

Check out the full interview
here, while more info on the film is available here.

Colour out of Time
Far Out

I'll be following this one ... loved the original and really like Rodriguez ... thinking that this one will be OK.

Someone needs their fill.
Hot.

Surprisingly, i think Rodriguez is really suited to this project. Not too sure on McGowan, liked her enough in Planet Terror but think Rodriguez is a bit bias towards her.

Yeah she's no Fonda, Fonda was an absolute knockout back then.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
After watching the opening credits of Grindhouse, I believe that Rose will do just fine.

P.S. I'm not a big fan of the original, but it has some campy charm. Fonda worked with her husband Roger Vadim a lot at the time (Spirits of the Dead, La Curée, La Ronde, Barbarella).

Colour out of Time
I just watched Jane Fonda again today

Very entertaining

But found this article Here dated Thursday, October 18, 2007.

Barbarella Derailed By A Rose

Sin City director Robert Rodriguez is letting his heart get in the way of his better judgment with his forthcoming big-budget remake of Barbarella, a source with knowledge of the production told the Transom.

Universal Studios has backed out of backing the movie, whose budget the source pegged at nearly $100 million, because Mr. Rodriguez has insisted on casting his new fiancé, Rose McGowan, in the lead role, famously played by Jane Fonda in the 1968 original directed by Ms. Fonda’s then-husband, Roger Vadim.

The movie depicts a futuristic astronaut who travels the galaxy, seductively conquering everything in her path. More famous names floated for the part included Nicole Kidman, Halle Berry and Jessica Alba.

“It’s sort of embarrassing for everyone involved,” the source said. “No one thinks Rose can carry the movie, but Robert won’t listen.”

The film’s executive producer, Dino De Laurentiis, an Academy Award winner who produced Mr. Vadim’s Barbarella, is keeping mum on the matter, the source said. “He’s technically independent but has a strong connection to Universal. He wants to back Robert and his vision. But Robert’s vision is blurred by Rose.”

Universal’s initial excitement about the project had prompted reports that the movie would be fast-tracked for release in 2008. Indeed, the studio was so excited about the film that upon discovering Mr. Rodriguez’s nepotistic casting preference it came back with a second offer to fund Barbarella with an amount significantly below the original—in the double-digit millions, said the source. Apparently many of those involved have unsuccessfully tried to persuade Mr. Rodriguez to see his way beyond his curvaceous fiancée, best known for her role in the TV series Charmed.

But the director is sticking by his number-one chica, the source said, and with Ms. McGowan billed to fill Fonda’s thigh-high boots, the studio is afraid the box office simply wouldn’t stand up to the investment.

Mr. Rodriguez denied this, claiming the issue was simply one of budget. “Universal had initially signed on for $60 million,” he told the Transom, “but then when we were done with the script it wound up at closer to $82 million, and they had just financed a Will Ferrell movie that was a $130 million and they even cut that down to $100.”

He said Universal would still be happy to fund the picture for $60 million, but that he was shopping it around to other studios in the hopes of getting more money. Mr. Rodriguez is known for his ability to make movies cheaply, but believes it will be difficult with Barbarella since much of the film takes place in outer space, and “we don’t want the movie to look like the original,” he said.

The director alleges that the people at Universal were in fact thrilled with Ms. McGowan’s screen test, “blown over,” as he put it. “They said, ‘What are we looking at?’” Mr. Rodriguez said. “She looks fantastic in the role. … She was perfect for this part. She just has that daring look, a sort of classic sexiness that is also kind of futuristic.”

His bodacious Barbarella vision came to him while flipping through the trades one morning with his fiancée at his side. “I asked Rose, I said, ‘Would you be interested in doing this?’ And she said, ‘Oh, we’d rock that **** so hard.’” Mr. Rodriguez said. “And I said, ‘Well, that sounds like a lot of fun.’”

Reps for Mr. De Laurentiis and Universal had no comment.
So what's the story with the re-make???

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I do not like the original, but I do like Robert Rodriguez and Rose Mcgowan so I have hope for the remake. I think Rose is a different kind of actress and am glad to see her getting more work. If they were seriously considering Nicole Kidman for the part, I can't imagine anyone more ill-suited.

Robert Rodriguez rocks! I have faith that he'll pull this off. And with Rose (milky) Mcgowan as an added bonus, how can you go wrong?