14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

... I'm looking forward to the 15th and I hope a certain somebody does host it
So I believe we have a host in line for the 15th Hof

Hopefully this works out, but if that person can't do it at the time, then I'd like to do it, call me the back up plan, But I really hope this person can do it!

But we still have plenty of time left in the 14th, just thought I'd mention this as most of us are getting done with our movies.

Night on Earth (1991)
Dir. Jim Jarmusch
Starring: Winona Ryder, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Isaach De Bankolé

If this film contained just the New York and Helsinki stories, I would've absolutely loved it. New York was entertaining right from the start, and the German cab driver was easily my favourite character in the whole film. He frequently spoke in English that was a direct translation of German phrases, which I found very amusing and appropriate. Helsinki had a more sombre tone, with this emotional edge to it that ended the whole collection on a bit of a downer, which is exactly to my tastes. Unfortunately, two of the remaining three stories were not very enjoyable for me.

I found the first segment in Los Angeles to be quite boring. I didn't care for either character, but especially not the cab driver. Overall I just found that story to be dull and predicable, but I didn't actively dislike it. Rome, on the other hand, was very unpleasant. I absolutely hated the driver at the start. He did tone things down a bit when he picked up the priest, but I still didn't like him very much. Since that segment is mostly just him talking, it was hard to get invested.

Paris was somewhere in between. I liked the dialogue and commentary, but found it hard to get engaged with the second half of the story, mostly because of the blind girl. She looked weird to me, with her eyes constantly rolling back into her head. Is that something blind people do? I've never seen it before, and it put me off a little, but perhaps that was intentional? As a whole, the film is quite uneven, but I think it's definitely worth seeing for the New York and Helsinki segments alone.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Night.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	35433  

Night on Earth (1991)
Dir. Jim Jarmusch
Starring: Winona Ryder, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Isaach De Bankolé
As a whole, the film is quite uneven, but I think it's definitely worth seeing for the New York and Helsinki segments alone.
[/left]

Yeah, the NYC segment was awesome. Funny and what I'm used to tone-wise from a Jarmusch movie.

Time of the Gyspies (Dom za vesanje) (Emir Kusturica, 1988)
Imdb

Date Watched: 9/24/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 14th Hall of Fame, Jeff Costello's nomination
Rewatch: No

I didn't know anything about this film when I started it and my immediate reaction was not a positive one. The first part of the film introduces us to some very quirky characters doing odd things and I was - unpleasantly - reminded of Wes Anderson. I struggled to fight the urge to shut it off.

But later the film takes a drastic change in tone and becomes much more serious. Unfortunately it also takes the almost likable protagonist Perhan into a life of thievery, human trafficking, and deceit. The story itself was interesting enough, and it was good to a get a glimpse into a different culture, but the further Perhan got into the criminal life, the less I liked him and the more I struggled to stay fully engaged.

Ultimately I had no strong feelings for the film, either positive or negative, and it's probably not one that's going to stick in my memory for long.

+

The Hurricane (1999)

I didn't know anything about the events that this film was based on so when I watched this I didn't give any thought to historical accuracy. The film starts Denzel Washington as boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, who is sentenced to life in prison for a triple murder. While in prison he publishes an autobiography, which is later read by Lesra Martin (Vicellous Shannon) who becomes interested in Carter's case and attempts to have him released from prison.

I thought Washington was fantastic as Rubin Carter, despite his character being quite unlikable, and I also liked Vicellous Shannon's performance as Lesra. However the additional characters seemed quite uninteresting to me and I did feel that the film was somewhat a bit too long. However I did quite like like Roger Deakins' cinematography, particularly in the boxing scenes.

Overall I did like this nomination but I probably don't see it becoming a favourite anytime soon.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Am I the only one who was annoyed with Rosie Perez in the New York segment of Night on Earth?
When she first showed up, I found her incredibly annoying.

But then I got used to her. Turning down the volume helped. Also, the cab driver was very amused by their arguing, which made me smile too haha.

Legend in my own mind

Black snake moan (2006)

I didn't know much about this film before I viewed it. I knew that Christina Ricci and Samuel.L.Jackson were in it, and as a fan of the work of both I had high hopes.

After a rocky start, I found myself appreciating the film more and more as it went on. As the story unfolded I became more empathetic towards the characters and was rooting for a positive conclusion.

The early part of the film, I found a bit weird (with the chain etc) but as the relationship between the two main characters developed I was all aboard.

Jackson was excellent, and the sound track was superb with some tremendous blues tracks involved in the film.

The film for me however was driven by Ricci. She was excellent in her role and really captured the conflict between pain, vulnerability and survival within the character. My appreciation for this grew as the characters back story was revealed and I was captivated by the performance.

The relationship between the characters played by Jackson and Ricci, was captured really well and I found myself smiling along with them near the end. Both actors have played similar roles before, but I think in this context they complimented one another superbly.

Lot's to love about this film.

The fact that the German spoke atrocious German does sound hilarious to me.
I honestly thought I responded to this. I guess I forgot to hit submit or something.

According to Wikipedia, Erich von Stroheim admitted that he had forgotten his native language after spending most of his life in America (he moved there as a boy). That would certainly explain his "an American trying to read out German words" accent in the film.

Out of interest, when is the deadline?
I think it's the end of October, but don't quote me on that because I'm bad at counting.

Just had a look back at raul's posts and it's October 31st, but he said he may grant an extension if needed since that's actually less than the usual one week per film deadline.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Was hoping October 31, but if need be we can go to November 15.

All but 2 people seem like they will cruise easy to the finish line as of now.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I honestly thought I responded to this. I guess I forgot to hit submit or something.

According to Wikipedia, Erich von Stroheim admitted that he had forgotten his native language after spending most of his life in America (he moved there as a boy). That would certainly explain his "an American trying to read out German words" accent in the film.
Interesting. Did you see Jeff's comment? "There was nothing wrong with Von Stroheim's German. He spoke with a "Bavarian" accent though."
Reason I asked was that, with an understanding how dialects will and do mess with any given language I was curious about this between the two of you.

Was hoping October 31, but if need be we can go to November 15.

All but 2 people seem like they will cruise easy to the finish line as of now.
Raul can you give us stats on how many films each of us have watched/reviewed? You know like: Citizen 9/12

I think I missed that comment. Too much going on in Survivor haha.

There wasn't anything wrong with the actual German he was using, no. But it was certainly not the high class German his character should've spoken, and it frequently sounded to me like he didn't know what he was actually saying. I only know a couple of people with Bavarian dialects, and I don't actually speak to them very often (mostly in text) so that never occurred to me at the time.