The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Gah I didn't! But I'm bound to spend another £20 so this will come in useful
Yeah, no doubt.

Well, I almost bought something on my 5th or 6th attempt. I'll try again at midnight.

Finally! Bought The Sexy Brutale, Nex Machina, The Last Door and Formula Fusion for £30. The days of huge discounts in Steam sales are well and truly over, it seems. Thanks Steam refund policy!

The PayPal offer worked, too.

Two home runs so far: Nex Machina is the Smash TV remake we'd all hoped for and Formula Fusion is as close to Wipeout on the PC as you could get.

Just finished playing Her Story and it was a lot of fun. I did accidentally jump ahead a bit in the story with a particular search that was obviously useful, but I didn't know it would be such a major factor. I still had a great time playing it, though.

To anyone else who played it,
WARNING: spoilers below
do you think she had a twin or was it a split personality?

Just finished playing Her Story and it was a lot of fun. I did accidentally jump ahead a bit in the story with a particular search that was obviously useful, but I didn't know it would be such a major factor. I still had a great time playing it, though.

To anyone else who played it,
do you think she had a twin or was it a split personality?
WARNING: "Her Story" spoilers below
I always took it that there were twins. It's been a while since I played it but I'm pretty sure that one of them has a bruise/tattoo which can be seen,
although I've also read theories that those are deliberately faked. Hey, I'm a simple guy.

I'm actually sticking to Dishonored 2 (just finished the clockwork mansion level). I seem to be enjoying this one a little more than the first one even though it really is more of the same, but I suppose that's better than Mankind Divided feeling like a lesser Human Revolution.
I don't know if you've gotten to it yet, but the level with
WARNING: "minor spoiler" spoilers below
the gun porting you between past and present
is awesome. I liked Prey a bit better overall though; worth it if you want the same gameplay on a spaceship.

WARNING: "Her Story" spoilers below
I always took it that there were twins. It's been a while since I played it but I'm pretty sure that one of them has a bruise/tattoo which can be seen,
although I've also read theories that those are deliberately faked. Hey, I'm a simple guy.
It could go either way, really. The childhood stories seem to suggest they were twins. The different childhood homes, experiences and such. But at some point the line starts to blur and who knows what to believe anymore. Maybe the bit about one of the "twins" living with the midwife was Hannah making up a story for the reason she no longer lived at home. Due to her parents dying of "food poisoning".

Other reasons that make me think it's in her head is when early on she states that maybe all the stories she told the police were just that, stories. There's also her constant confusion as to what's real or not. Plus, the story about one of them living in the attic and the husband never catching on is pretty far-fetched. The STD bit was interesting, also. Hannah claimed she was getting sick because she was pregnant, but it's too convenient. I think another thing were the questions they asked her. She was pretty defensive when telling them she never cheated or had multiple partners, hence the STD.

But yeah, great game. Personally, I really like the fact that you never really know. I'm sure I still have a ton of videos I've yet to discover.

there's a frog in my snake oil

Pulsar is good so far. Glitchy, geeky, serious, silly. Good

Not entirely sure what we're doing, but most things can be interrogated and figured out. Here we were investigating a ship to find out why it was disabled. There was an acidic lifeform on the sofa. This seemed to satisfy our paymasters.

Oh damn, the Beyond Good & Evil 2 tech looks pretty sweet...

Obviously smaller babby planets than some of the other games pitching for this stuff, but the Russian dolling from interiors to jetpacks to ships to space is all pretty neat (although they didn't show on foot stuff). Def one to keep an eye on. I could go day-glo sci fi with an Ubi sheen if there's some game there for sure

In the Beginning...
So with the Steam Summer Sale in full swing, I've got a few titles that I'm considering but I can't decide. Any input would be much appreciated.

Mad Max -- $7.99 (75% off)
I've heard good things and the graphics/gameplay all look top notch. After seeing Fury Road, I'd be lying if I said I'm not eager to dip into that world. Is it worth it?

Alien: Isolation -- $9.99 (75% off)
This one has been on my radar since release and I'm still dying to play it. (Not to mention, the Nostromo companion DLC is $0.99.) But I've heard the game is rather short and not terribly substantive. Worth my time?

Stranded Deep -- $10.49 (30% off)
This game looks beautiful and the reviews are quite solid for an upstart survival sim. The only problem is: should I commit to this when I can get the above titles for the same price or cheaper? Anyone played this game?

Elite Dangerous -- $14.99 (50% off)
Listen, I'm not even sure this game will run properly on my laptop. And I'm not convinced I really have the amount of time required to invest in a complex space flight sim like this. But dammit if I'm not intrigued at the realism, depth, and freedom this game offers. Should I?

This one has been on my radar since release and I'm still dying to play it. (Not to mention, the Nostromo companion DLC is $0.99.) But I've heard the game is rather short and not terribly substantive. Worth my time?
I loved it. I say definitely give it a go, just make sure to drop by and share your thoughts afterward.

So with the Steam Summer Sale in full swing, I've got a few titles that I'm considering but I can't decide. Any input would be much appreciated.

I've heard good things and the graphics/gameplay all look top notch. After seeing Fury Road, I'd be lying if I said I'm not eager to dip into that world. Is it worth it?
I liked it. Redundant and generic, but fun. The world isn't as fleshed out and functional as you'd likely hope for though.

Yes! The game wasn't too short for me. Actually, most of the criticism I've heard is that it was too long. Substantive? I dunno. It depends. It's survival horror with almost all emphasis on atmosphere, but the plot is kind of intentionally minimal. It's really true to the spirit of the first movie (don't expect too much action). If you like that, I recommend.

Welcome to the human race...
I don't know if you've gotten to it yet, but the level with
WARNING: "minor spoiler" spoilers below
the gun porting you between past and present
is awesome. I liked Prey a bit better overall though; worth it if you want the same gameplay on a spaceship.
I did mention where I was up to (just finished the conservatory level), so it should have been easy to tell whether or not I'd seen that part yet. I only hope it's not as big of a spoiler as the use of spoiler tags would imply.

I'd be interested in checking out Prey, but I still feel like I need to get through a bunch of other games first - at this rate, I might as well wait until the price gets knocked down.

I did mention where I was up to (just finished the conservatory level), so it should have been easy to tell whether or not I'd seen that part yet. I only hope it's not as big of a spoiler as the use of spoiler tags would imply.

I'd be interested in checking out Prey, but I still feel like I need to get through a bunch of other games first - at this rate, I might as well wait until the price gets knocked down.
I don't remember the order of lvls. It shouldn't be much of a spoiler; just something to look forward to. Really fun, ambitious, and creative section IMO.

Welcome to the human race...
Well, the only big thing I'd really heard about it before I started was that the clockwork mansion was a really good level and I daresay it did live up to the hype, so it shouldn't be a problem.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Like a lesser version of both GTA and Arkham City.

Suspect's Reviews

Mad Max bored me more quickly than any major release open world game ever has.

Listen, I'm not even sure this game will run properly on my laptop. And I'm not convinced I really have the amount of time required to invest in a complex space flight sim like this. But dammit if I'm not intrigued at the realism, depth, and freedom this game offers. Should I?
Yes. Muchly.

So long as you only expect the vibe of the natural world to be replicated, and a touch of the convoy chaos, yeah it's worth a bargain buy. Everything else is really slight. The Arkham style fighting gets solid enough once they introduce enough enemy types, but it's still painful familiar like. The story has the odd good cut scene, but aside from the mechanic who hangs to the back of your car there are no real wasteland characters at all. Bases are literally occupied by cookie cutter bosses. Really feels like it needed another year's dev. For the fun of souping up your car, pulling doors off trucks with a grappling hook then shooting the driver with shotgun, sure it's worth a dip though

I never finished it, because it was too damn good. Incredible recreation of the first film's vibe. But unfortunately, being the prey of an unpredictable alien is not actually that fun. Nor is spending a prolonged amount of time in a cupboard.

The core game runs really well on low spec machines. The problem will come if you want to get the expansion, as the planetary landing stuff is much more demanding. Given it's out on PS4 in a few days might be wiser to wait for a price drop there? (It's a game that will only benefit from waiting to buy. They're going to tackle some of the thin aspects of the core game in updates later in the year. But that said, they're also adding alien conflict before that in the expansion. So.... )

Yeah, I felt exactly the same about Alien Isolation - Great vibe if you're a fan of the movies but no fun at all to play.

Patch NEWZZ!

PUBG got a big patch yesterday which improved the performance enormously for people with mid range machines. Please, someone else buy this game. Best shooter I've played in years and possibly the best online competitive shooter I've ever seen.

Tekken 7 finally runs well on my machine, so I'm no longer cursing going over the 2hr Steam refund limit.