Why I'm Not Watching Endgame

Tools    

A bucket of anxiety
There's probably going to be backlash, but I wanted to share my opinion on Infinity War in this video I worked really hard on. Not only am I looking for feedback but I am also looking for a discussion.

For starters, my opinion isn't biased. I like Marvel movies, I have favorite Marvel movies and characters and love comic books. I even drew a Marvel comic book recently in my video about Venom. It contains my opinions of Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, and most of all Infinity War. In short, I disliked Infinity War mainly because of the poor performance of the heroes. I understand that the idea was to follow Thanos in his journey to accomplish what he believed was the right thing to do, and it's an idea I liked about it, but the loss didn't feel earned. It has a bad case of protagonist syndrome, in which the main character wins for being the main character. I'm not saying Thanos did nothing. (Heaven forbid you undermine the moon scene), I just personally feel it was not enough.

A bucket of anxiety
The judgement was solely based on the information given in the film, not on YouTube and even with that possible outcome, it's still a frustrating experience until I spend another wad of money to get more answers. Even as a part of a series, it should be enjoyable on its own. While a lot of people liked this one on its own, I did not.

I care deeply

My Sinemia doesn't work anymore....so I'm probably skipping it

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Totally agree. Matrix Revolutions? Who the hell is this Agent "Smith" character and why are there so many of him?! And don't even get me started on how super generic his name is. I mean "Smith." Really? How am I supposed to find anything special about him if even his name is so bland every third person on earth has the same last night name? And speaking of names, they never give his first name! DUMB??? I want to connect with the guy as a person, not a flat character! We introduce ourselves by our names. "Hello, I'm agent smith blah blah blah." Stupid stupid stupid. Then there's his acting. OMG HIS ACTING! It's like the guy is a robot or something, walking all stiff, talking in a weird monotonous tone. Who does that crap?! No one. NO ONE does that crap except for bad actors and crappy writers.

A system of cells interlinked
Suit yourself, but it seems a bit silly to stick with the Marvel Universe for 19 films and then bail on the 20th because of a flimsy theory about protagonist syndrome that is somehow affecting the antagonist (!?)

Ignoring the fact that the initial post sort of seems like an attempt to garner views for your YT channel, I guess my response to your claim would be... OK? *Shrugs*

A bucket of anxiety
Suit yourself, but it seems a bit silly to stick with the Marvel Universe for 19 films and then bail on the 20th because of a flimsy theory about protagonist syndrome that is somehow affecting the antagonist (!?)

Ignoring the fact that the initial post sort of seems like an attempt to garner views for your YT channel, I guess my response to your claim would be... OK? *Shrugs*
It's more than just the "theory," it's several other factors. I would apologize for wanting feedback for my hard work but I'm not going to. I just wanted to explain that I meant that because Thanos was supposed to win at the end, it felt like the other characters bent to his will. I personally never felt like Thanos had to do much to earn his victory but I also feel like all the explaining in the world would not describe why my opinion is valid on this forum.

I also feel like all the explaining in the world would not describe why my opinion is valid on this forum.
Your opinion may be valid, but people are still allowed to have opinions about your opinion.

Also, totally unrelated, but the plural of comment is comments, not comment's. Your usertitle bugs.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
It's more than just the "theory," it's several other factors. I would apologize for wanting feedback for my hard work but I'm not going to. I just wanted to explain that I meant that because Thanos was supposed to win at the end, it felt like the other characters bent to his will. I personally never felt like Thanos had to do much to earn his victory but I also feel like all the explaining in the world would not describe why my opinion is valid on this forum.
You don't need to apologize for wanting feedback, and I hope you do not honestly feel the need to. I think inviting feedback though does open the door to legit push-back. I took issue with the notion that this specific movie should be expected to stand alone. There really is only a rare situation that someone would enter a theater completely unaware of what this movie is in context of the setup and branches of every other MCU movie leading up to it. If Infinity War was the first of a simple 3-part series, then yes I feel that would be a fair argument to say that the movie should stand alone. Still, that's subjective as to 1) whether or not the film should stand alone (especially knowing sequels are coming); and 2) your own personal opinion of what creates closure while still setting up longer story arcs versus everyone else's opinion. I had several issues with Infinity War, but this was not one of them. I personally had a hard time continuing the video from that point forward as I felt like it was a complaint for the sake of fashionable complaining and felt contrived. Not to knock that angle; hell, I've ranted against The Last Jedi in other threads so I can almost get it. But, opening tone felt combative and mocking. Why should I invest time into watching that unless I'm already looking for such content to solidify my own frustration with the movie? I confessed that I have issues with the movie, but to be quite honest I'd rather enter the conversation on a more level, open-minded tone. I felt the tone in my earlier reply was fairly in line with the video.

I'll watch it again though, to confirm.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Yeah, I mean, the whole angle here is obviously provocative, and it's posted to incite some kind of response, so yeah, there's gonna be pushback. I assume that's kind of the point of posting it. Feel free to respectfully argue your case, just as others have been respectfully arguing theirs. That's the whole idea.

A bucket of anxiety
I felt the tone in my earlier reply was fairly in line with the video.

I'll watch it again though, to confirm.
At the beginning of the video I was trying to say that it's unfair to say that not liking Infinity War meant you weren't a Marvel fan. I was going to cut it out the ralphthemoviemaker clip but the thing I said after the intro would've have made sense without it. (Before you call me Keemstar; referring to how a fair bit of my videos start out mentioning another video)

I wasn't asking for an apology.

To me, it just seemed kind of weird to call Thanos the protagonist is all. In films in which the villain wins, I still consider them to be the antagonist: Kaiser Soze for instance, or perhaps Spacey's character in Se7en. This also feels more like a setback, ala "I am your father" in The Empire Strikes Back, rather than an actual loss.

As to the point of Thanos sort of walking through everyone, I took it as the film makers just sort of wanting to make it seem like all the heroes were facing insurmountable odds against an insuperable enemy. You know, until Endgame, where they inevitably turn it all around. Not many surprises here, but it's still fun to watch it all unfold. I maintain that the issues you mention wouldn't be enough to make most people bail on the whole thing now. Sunken cost is a thing!

A bucket of anxiety

To me, it just seemed kind of weird to call Thanos the protagonist is all. In films in which the villain wins, I still consider them to be the antagonist:
I was just always told not to use protagonist as a synonym to "good guy," but I understand what you're saying.

I was just always told not to use protagonist as a synonym to "good guy," but I understand what you're saying.

In the classical sense, that would be correct. Fair point! I think there is an argument that IW is Thanos' movie...

They do say, "Thanos will be back" at the end.
And apparently, so will I! Although, I am waiting at least a week before I head out to see it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Regardless of good/bad guy, I don't think Thanos is the protagonist in Infinity War, because we see so little from his point of view. We do see a bit, but the overwhelming majority of it is from the point of view of the Avengers/Guardians. Regardless of screentime, they, as a group, are the protagonists (as the title suggests) and Thanos is the antagonist, as he opposes them. We learn about his motivation, and maybe even get to sympathise with him a tiny bit, but that's nothing new either, that's just fleshing out the villain as was done in Black Panther.