The MoFo Top 100 of the Sixties

→ in
Tools    

Cheers GS, I haven't been very active the last few days, but I'll add your name to the second post now. I think every list I've got so far has been pretty cool, with a lot of films I'm considering for my own list. Good stuff

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
A film that crops up on quite a few lists but I haven't seen much mention of here, except where it's being listed as something on another list:

Rocco and His Brothers (1960)

I'll be honest, I watched this mostly for Alain Delon. I'd seen Visconti's The Leopard, which fell somewhere between looking amazing and being a bit boring, and I couldn't get on board with the dubbing at all. Rocco and His Brothers is not at all boring, and although it is dubbed, it isn't so obvious and didn't really impede my watching of the film.

Rocco and His Brothers is the story of four brothers who, with their mother, move to Milan from the country to be with their older brother and get work in the city, with varying degrees of success. There's boxing, crime, family, poverty, prostitution, rape and murder and divided loyalties.

The dvd I watched wasn't always very clear, but it is very well shot. Some scenes are incredibly powerful and mesmerising, although at times the overall narrative isn't as strong - perhaps there was more cut from the original story. It is overwrought at times, but what do you expect from an Italian melodrama?

This film was apparently a huge influence on The Godfather and Scorsese's Mean Streets, so interesting for people who are fans of those movies.

I've also added Visconti's The Damned to my 60s watchlist.

You have not missed this at all. Your ballot isn't due until June 30th.

And of course you may.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The People's Republic of Clogher
Still trawling through my list. Same as I always do - Only picking from films that I own.

It's been a good method for deciding what DVDs I want to upgrade to Blu Ray as well.

You have not missed this at all. Your ballot isn't due until June 30th.

And of course you may.
Thank you, dear. I'll try not to come in at the last minute again. Little Miss. 99!

Don't forget Bunuel, I watched Viridiana yesterday and it is a masterpiece, you should all watch it.

Let me know if you need any help with that spreadsheet, Daniel.
Thanks for all your help in this thread so far. You're making me look lazy with the amount of useful posts you've made whilst I've been fairly inactive (University work and that)

I remember listening to the podcast you did at the end of the Seventies list, a lot of the experiences you seem to had at the start of the list seem definitely relevant here, I've got 8 lists now (it seems like a decent amount early on) and I'm loving seeing how things are turning out already.

Not sure what Sports Memo is, actually. Does it use the same/similar music? I assume you're talking about the music at the end?
The beginning music is the same that a sports radio show used as their introduction, but I haven't listened to it in 4 years. They also had a podcast.

Oh. It's actually from the Kill Bill soundtrack (except for all the clips I added, naturally). It's especially good for something like this so it wouldn't shock me if a few other places used some version of it.

Damn, just discovered this. Suppose that's what a long absence from the forum does to you!

I suppose I've got to start watching 1960s films now then.

What's everyone been watching recently then?

I recently watched A Hard Day's Night, one of the films mentioned in the opening post and a must watch for anybody who is a fan of The Beatles. Great film with a hilarious script and great music, of course.

What's everyone been watching recently then?

I recently watched A Hard Day's Night, one of the films mentioned in the opening post and a must watch for anybody who is a fan of The Beatles. Great film with a hilarious script and great music, of course.
Just grabbed a few DVDs from my Uncles house a few days ago, The Magnificent Seven, It's a Mad Mad World, The IPCRESS File and Wait Until Dark. So I'll be getting through them then the next directors I want to tackle are Bergman, Tarkovsky and Welles.