Movie Forums Top 100 of the Aughts (the 00s) - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

It's ON! You all asked for it! By popular demand, we're on our way to our next countdown: the 2000s, the 00s, the "aughts", the new millennium. So get your air guns ready, grab a milkshake, and prepare to vote for the best films of the decade.

LIST OF GENERAL RULES

So here's the list of who continues to live, and who gets the end of the sword:
  • Submit your ranked list of twenty-five (25) titles, from best to worst, using our nifty, new ballot tool (see below)
  • Films will be awarded points as follows: 25 points for 1st place, 24 points for 2nd place, 23 for 3rd and so on, all the way down to one point for your 25th placed film.
  • If you submit less than 25 films, then points will be redistributed accordingly (i.e. if you submit 10 films, your top film will receive 10 points, then 9 for your 2nd place, 8 for your 3rd place, etc.)
  • Generally speaking, new members can send in a list as soon as they've been a member here for one month. Other cases can be treated on a case-by-case basis.
  • Films that are part of a series or trilogy (Lord of the Rings, Kill Bill, etc.) must be submitted as separate films.
  • Any film listed as 2000-2009 on IMDb is eligible for our list (see below)
  • No peeking! Anyone who reveals their submitted list before the countdown has ended will be disqualified.
  • The deadline for entries will be December 2, 2021. That gives you three (3) full months to catch up, research, dig up, or refresh anything you might put up on your list.

THE BALLOT

Where do you put your vote for Pedro? Well, just like we did on the previous Foreign Language Film Countdown, we're gonna be using our new ballot toy, courtesy of Yoda, which you can access here:

It will look like this:

• Just type the name of the movie you want and select it from the drop-down list.
  • If the movie doesn't appear, you can click the link on the upper right corner ("movie you want not showing up") and paste the URL of the movie from the IMDb or TMDb.
  • Check, and double-check, the names and dates of the film as you choose them, to avoid mistakes and confusion. Remember that there can be several films with the same title (especially, foreign films)
  • There should be a minimum of ten (10) entries per ballot.
  • You will receive a copy of your list via PM after you submit.
  • All ballots are final, so make sure everything is set before submitting.

ELIGIBILITY

So, who can join this "fellowship" of films? As was said above, the basic premise is that any film listed as 2000-2009 on IMDb is eligible for our list.

As for other eligibility situations:
  • There are bound to be some edge cases (limited releases, foreign releases, etc.) which can be brought forward in the thread and discussed accordingly.
  • Television series and mini-series are NOT eligible.
  • Other eligibility questions can be politely discussed in this thread. Curator's decision is final

There is a recommendation thread available where you can share lists and thoughts on eligible films for others to check.

So choose well, choose wisely, always respect the opinions and thoughts of others, but most of all, HAVE FUN!

May the best 2000's film win!!

(please, not The Dark Knight! not The Dark Knight!)

Ballots received

1. Tugg
  2. John W Constantine
  3. MovieFan1988
  4. mrblond
  5. Guaporense
  6. Nope1172
  7. Steve Freeling
  8. The Rodent
  9. Hey Fredrick
  10. donniedarko
  11. Torgo
  12. sumantra roy
  13. Harry Lime
  14. Citizen Rules
  15. TheUsualSuspect
  16. SpelingError
  17. Allaby
  18. Thursday Next
  19. ahwell
  20. Skepsis93
  21. KeyserCorleone
  22. Takoma11
  23. Wooley
  24. kgaard
  25. ash_is_the_gal
  26. John Dumbear
  27. GulfportDoc
  28. Thief
  29. Daakmore
  30. Aidanc
  31. ScarletLion
  32. seanc
  33. Captain Spaulding
  34. PHOENIX74
  35. edarsenal
  36. Miss Vicky
  37. thracian dawg
  38. Deschain
  39. John McClane
  40. Fabulous
  41. mattiasflgrtll6
  42. Rockatansky
  43. AgrippinaX
  44. pahaK
  45. MovieMeditation
  46. Okay
  47. John-Connor
  48. Chypmunk
  49. CosmicRunaway
  50. ueno_station54
  51. xSookieStackhouse
  52. gomorra82
  53. Holden Pike
  54. mark f
  55. resopamenic
  56. rbrayer
  57. Captain Terror
  58. Diehl40
  59. cricket
  60. Kaplan
  61. Wyldesyde19
  62. Yomi
  63. rauldc14
  64. Yoda
  65. Jinnistan
  66. Frightened Inmate No. 2
  67. ynwtf
  68. Pussy Galore
  69. crumbsroom
  70. Cobpyth
  71. ApexPredator
  72. Taz
  73. Siddon
  74. dadgumblah
  75. Jabs
  76. gbgoodies
  77. jiraffejustin
  78. Iroquois
  79. gandalf26
  80. Sedai
  81. beelzebubble
  82. Death Proof
  83. WHITBISSELL!
  84. Derek Vinyard
  85. CaptainT
  86. JayDee
  87. ScannerDarkly
  88. sarah f

Eligibility issues and clarifications:
  • Each Lord of the Rings film counts as a separate entry/film.
  • Same applies to Kill Bill. Each Volume counts as a separate entry/film, since that's how they were originally released.
  • The Japanese anime Redline is eligible, even though TMDB lists it as a 2010 release.

Interesting that partial ballots will be prorated. I don't think that's ever actually been done with any of the previous countdowns.

Not that the change will affect me. I could fill four ballots and still have leftovers. I doubt I'll even try for a one-pointer this time.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Ok, question.

How do we navigate between "hey guys are you sure you know about that movie before voting for another ?" and "hmm, no no, just asking, doesn't mean it's on my secret vote list or anything" ?

Interesting that partial ballots will be prorated. I don't think that's ever actually been done with any of the previous countdowns.

Not that the change will affect me. I could fill four ballots and still have leftovers. I doubt I'll even try for a one-pointer this time.
I think it makes for a more balanced voting. I mean, if the only 2000's film I saw was Battlefield Earth and I say "well, it was crap, but I'll vote for it", that film will automatically get 25 points, when it would've probably been just one if I had seen/voted more films (of course, this is an example. We all know Battlefield Earth deserves the win)

Plus, it also helps to encourage people to submit complete ballots, hence more films in the mix.

I saw Battlefield Earth in theatres. Yup.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Very cool Thief! So glad you're doing it and hopefully more of the RT/Corries will particiapte this time around (if not you should bug the hell out them!)

If you submit less than 25 films, then points will be redistributed accordingly (i.e. if you submit 10 films, your top film will receive 10 points, then 9 for your 2nd place, 8 for your 3rd place, etc.)
I like that, it's fresh and it's not been done before.

THANK YOU for doing this countdown for our MoFo community

Ok, question.

How do we navigate between "hey guys are you sure you know about that movie before voting for another ?" and "hmm, no no, just asking, doesn't mean it's on my secret vote list or anything" ?
Not sure if I get what you're asking, but if you're referring to the rule about not "revealing your submitted list", it refers to just that. People can still ask around and recommend their favorites to other people (and we have a thread for that), but you just can't go and post your whole list 1 thru 25 while we're in the middle of the countdown.

Let me know if that answers your question.

Well done Thief. This will be good. Are documentaries allowed? Can't remember.
Yes, they are.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Not sure if I get what you're asking, but if you're referring to the rule about not "revealing your submitted list", it refers to just that. People can still ask around and recommend their favorites to other people (and we have a thread for that), but you just can't go and post your whole list 1 thru 25 while we're in the middle of the countdown.

Let me know if that answers your question.
Ok. There's a bit of a fine line between "recommending your favorites" and "disclosing your selection", but the fact it goes both ways (others people also recommending favorites we haven't watched yet) does probably alter our initial selections enough to shuffle the cards, I imagine.

It's all certainly obvious for those who participated in it already. I'm only progressively seeing the difference between this and a simple, five minutes long, "post your faves and go home" kind of vote.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Ok, question.

Recommend more than 25?

In all seriousness I will be recommending films that won't make my 25 just because they won't make my 25 but I still want them in the top 100.

I think there are some members where we absolutely know certain films they will vote for, that isn't the same as disclosing your exact 25 in order.