The 75 best looking films ever made

Tools    

So I thought I'd do a thread. Just to keep my mind ticking. I'm going to list what I feel are the 75 best looking films ever made, in terms of a combination of:

photography
camerawork
colours
framing
blocking
shot composition
mise-en-scène.

There will surely be a few that won't make the list that deserve to, but I haven't seen 'all the films' so go gentle.

I'm going to do a film every day or few days perhaps, post a gif or two and say a few words about why I think it looks great. Discussion is enthusiastically encouraged.

In all there will be 75 films, with some honourable mentions that didn't make the cut along the way too. Hope you like it. So, here's:

Scarletlion's 75 best looking films of all time thread

The List:
75. The Grand Budapest Hotel
74. Shane
73. Lost In Translation
72. The Master
71. The White Ribbon
70. Kill Bill Vol.1
69.The Spirit of the Beehive'
68. Hero
67. Let the Right One in
66. La Haine
65. Birdman
64. Limite
63. Once Upon a Time in the West
62. The Double Life of Véronique
61. City of God
60. Let the Corpses Tan
59. Only God Forgives
58. The Innocents
57. Nosferatu
56. Sunset Blvd
55. Embrace of the Serpent
54. Kwaidan
53. The Assassination of Jesse James
52. Raging Bull
51. Thief
50. Manhattan
49. November
48. Blade Runner 2049
47. Haxan
46. Brazil
45. Three Colours: Red
44. The Passenger
43. The Ballad of Narayama
42. Gabbeh
41. Sansho the Bailiff
40. The Cook, The Thief, His wife and her lover
39. Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
38. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
37. The Man Who Wasn't There
36. Apocalypse Now
35. All that Heaven Allows
34. Suspiria
33. The Woman in the Dunes
32. The Holy Mountain
31. Ida
30. Tokyo Drifter
29. Enter the Void
28. The Wizard of Oz
27. Lawrence of Arabia
26. The Tree of Life
25: 'The Lady from Shanghai' (1947)
24: 'An Actor's revenge' (1963)
23: 'Werckmeister Harmonies' (2000)
22: 'Vertigo' (1958)
21: 'Mirror' (1975)

20: 'Paris, Texas' (1984)
19: 'Onibaba' (1964)
18: 'Last Year at Marienbad' (1961)
17: 'Russian Ark' (2002)
16: 'The Fall' (2006)

15. Ran
14. Barry Lyndon

13. The Colour of Pomegranates (1969)
12. The Third Man (1949)
11. The Night of the Hunter (1955)

10. I am Cuba (1964)
9. Days of Heaven (1978)
8. Citizen Kane (1941)
7. Black Narcissus (1947)
6. In the Mood for Love (2000)

5. The Fabulous Baron Munchausen (1962)
4. 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968)
3. Persona (1966)
2. Blade Runner’(1982)
1. Metropolis (1927)

No. 75:

‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’
Director: Wes Anderson
DoP.: Robert Yeoman

This film is simply gorgeous. A lot is made about Wes Anderson’s choice of framing and symmetry but his inventiveness is also brilliant. He must draw from Directors like Jacques Tati as his humour and quirkiness that he puts into his films are evident. The peach, purples and and pinks in this film standout. Beautiful to look at.

So I thought I'd do a thread. Just to keep my mind ticking. I'm going to list what I feel are the 75 best looking films ever made, in terms of a combination of:
colours
So no black and white? Saving those for a separate list?

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Excellent idea for a list - looking forward to it!

What a neat idea for a thread! I'm looking forward to it And kudos to you for your first choice, The Grand Budapest Hotel, while I didn't love the story itself, the film looked wonderful!

A system of cells interlinked
The Grand Budapest Hotel is a blind spot for me. I have seen every other Anderson flick, but not this one, which seems to be many people's favorite...

All of the top 10 places can be filled with Tarkovsy alone.

Wes Anderson and director of photography Robert Yeoman had a lot of fun with, among other things, using different aspect ratios. It goes from two extremes of 2.40:1 widescreen for the framing segments set in the 1960s to something close to the old Academy standard at 1.37:1 for the main story set in the 1930s, with a bit of 1.85:1 for the brief prologue set in the '80s with Tom Wilkinson. There's even a sequence in black and white at the end of the film.

Here is a nice cataloging of the different kinds of shots they employ in one of the opening full widescreen scenes...

Ozu Yasujiro's An Autumn Afternoon belong somewhere on the list. I'm a huge fan of his work, so its hard to nail it down to one movie.

I remember watching a video on YouTube by CineFix on the same topic a few months ago.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Repped even though you called me Vile.