What would be the best country to market a movie to at this time?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
This is kind of an odd topic question but I was to going to produce and direct my first feature film, to try to get more noticed in the industry, and if I get distribution, that's good too.

I was going to start before, on pre-production before but then covid hit and had to delay it. But now people in the industry are telling me, do not market the script in the U.S. and try to gain interest in other nations who would be more interested in making a script. It's a thriller involving a kidnapping and manhunt, but I was told no one in the U.S. wants to see involving the police right now.

So in this case, what countries would be the best to try to market the script to to gain, interest, if anyone has any suggestions?

Depends on the language of the film. If it’s gonna be in English then it has to be a country that speaks English unless you want to pay for subtitles.

I guess that English is a must for a movie. As for georgraphy, it can be marketed anywhere. Although I reckon that the marketing budget will be too expensive. You need to pay for ads, website promotion etc. etc.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
China of course. Largest population, good economic power. Even if you make your movie in English, be sure to make it China-compatible for the long term (no reference to Winnie the Pooh, to Taiwan, to Tibet, to Honk Kong, to homosexuality or to democratic institutions in general, and you're good to go, I mean, as long as you don't have ghosts or zombies or such superstitious material either). Small sacrifices for maximum profit.

New Zealand, maybe? They seem to have the pandemic under control better than pretty much every other developed country in the world.

I was told no one in the U.S. wants to see involving the police right now.
What an odd thing to be told. You should market the film wherever YOU think it should be marketed. The police angle is extremely odd. It's not as if people wouldn't want to watch Zodiac or Se7en right now.

Do whatever suits you and the film. Don't be persuaded to do something which compromises your art.

What an odd thing to be told. You should market the film wherever YOU think it should be marketed. The police angle is extremely odd. It's not as if people wouldn't want to watch Zodiac or Se7en right now.

Do whatever suits you and the film. Don't be persuaded to do something which compromises your art.
that is sooo true.

Good question actually. I'm not a movie buff, but I don't think there's an answer to that question in the age of the internet.