What do you think of Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

Tools    

I don't actually wear pants.
It's every teenaged-boy's dream. Skipping school to ride a convertible with your hot girlfriend? Hell yeah! Right? But it is irresponsible, and unrealistic. I also think every character out of Beuler's clique is an idiot. Yes, I know that's the point, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.

To be fair, it has some good moments, but I don't love the film. It could have been way worse, but I don't have much inclination to watch it again.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
You're correct sir. He has a high level of charisma, is impulsive, doesn't care for consequences or have consideration for anybody else but himself unless he is directly affected. Any emotion or mercy shown to the other character is merely a facade.

The sequel 'American Psycho' explores his darker side much more adequately. This first movie, Ferris Buellers day off is in fact his day off complete with alias name 'Ferris Bueller' translated in Spanish to 'God of Torture'. His real name, Patrick Bateman is hidden from both his friends and family. The sequel explores the days that are not his 'days off' and they are much more sinister. But remember, to keep the first movie in context even a psychopath like Bueller/Bateman (notice the same starting letter) can have a fun day off - a day off from all the killing.

Great post Larry. I'm jealous of that one.

I know all movies are open for interpretation and Hughes may have had a deeper message in mind, but I don't ever feel this is that type of movie.

To me it is a fantasy movie as much as the Neverending Story.

Probably the best teen comedy ever made, and john hughes best film by far, a classic in the comedy genre

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
This was a movie we had when I was young, and I liked it a lot. Can be watched multiple times, no problem, but it's been at least 15 years for me, so I might watch it soon.. I guess the lack of character development didn't bother me, and the fact that everything went his way didn't matter at all. It's a "fun" movie.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh yeah. I didn't mean to imply that the movie needed character development, since it's a light comedy and all, I just think it needed character obstacles, rather than having so much convenience.

My two takeaways from this are seeing Cameron [MISTER...ROONEY..] in anything after this and the baseline for what Baby's face looks like.

Welcome to the human race...
For cinematic/narrative reasons, or because you've decided it glorifies some kind of objectionable behavior?
I was going to say both, but on further reflection it's clearly the former.