Lets Talk Football

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
I thought this would be the first championship since the World Cup in 1998 that Sweden would not manage to qualify to. And here we are, with four wins out of four - one against Spain! - and leading our group. Amazing... The best thing is that it's been a team effort. Zlatan is turning the national team down after some quarrel with the coach and Larsson has retired. And the newcomers have been great! Elmander... remember that name.

And England... No offence, but I guess all Swedes were a bit annoyed with the way the English press treated Svennis (no smoke without fire, of course, but still...) so I can't help to gloat a little over here...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Zlatan is turning the national team down after some quarrel with the coach and Larsson has retired. And the newcomers have been great! Elmander... remember that name.
I'll echo what Johnny Giles said on RTÉ during the World Cup - Ibrahimovic is the most overrated player in world football.

You're better off without a Billy-Big-Bollocks who wrecks the balance of the side, look at how well we're doing since we froze out George McCartney, for example.*cough*

Originally Posted by Tacitus
I'll echo what Johnny Giles said on RTÉ during the World Cup - Ibrahimovic is the most overrated player in world football.

You're better off without a Billy-Big-Bollocks who wrecks the balance of the side, look at how well we're doing since we froze out George McCartney, for example.*cough*
If he was playing like he did in his first season in Juventus, I would disagree with you, but of course he hasn't even come close to that standard in a very long time. So, yeah, he needs to shape up. The common opinion in Sweden has been that even if he's out of shape, we still need him because he can do the unexpected and he has saved us a number of times in crucial games. But lately, because of the way the likes of Elmander and others have been playing, more and more people are beginning to question Ibrahimovic's position as our number one striker. Allbäck delivers. Always. And, as I've said, Elmander is our next big star, imo.

It seems as with Ibra and Larsson off the team, the others are stepping up and taking a collective responsibility. Earlier it sometimes felt as they were all thinking "Give the ball to Larsson and Ibrahimovic, and we'll be okay...". It worked against the blueberry teams, but it was painfully obvious in the World Cup that Sweden, without our starts in top shape, were playing like sheep against wolves.

Ground Control To Major Thom
Originally Posted by nebbit
You!

New England Patriot's fan here.
I like baseball better glad to see it's over cause I am a NYY fan.
Talk about some disappointing ****.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Denver Broncos or bust

I've just got to say "Wow"! Wow!

Henrik Larsson is really something else... I honestly do not believe it's just not because I'm swedish myself. He simply is amazing....

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Princess j.t.
New England Patriot's fan here.
I like baseball better glad to see it's over cause I am a NYY fan.
Talk about some disappointing ****.
Man, I was just about to tell you how cool you were...then you mentioned the Yankees....

Great Pats game yesterday, eh?

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I've just got to say "Wow"! Wow!

Henrik Larsson is really something else... I honestly do not believe it's just not because I'm swedish myself. He simply is amazing....
The new Cantona everyone's saying over here

Arsenal 6 Liverpool 3, What a result!! Alright it's only the Carling Cup but what a scoreline!! Add that to the 3-1 win at the weekend and i think it's safe to say we had a pretty good time at Anfield! Full credit to Jeremie Alidiere for last night's performance it was amazing to watch, Glad to see Baptista knock a few in aswell, Bring on Blackburn at the weekend!

Good old Arsenal,
We're proud to say that name,
And while we sing this song,
We'll win the game.

How about that Becky Boy making the big bucks in the 3rd World of soccer? Some papers over here are suggesting it's because Posh wants to make it big in Hollywood. I think he just realizes that it's all downhill from here and that he sees this as one last adventure - that will bring him a **** load of cash and keep the missus happy at the same time.

Apparently Larsson was good today again against Villa even though he didn't score... and Ibrahimovic has stayed in shape over christmas and scored again today, helping Inter to break the record of most wins in a row in Serie A. How come they didn't play like this in the world cup??

F*ck Beckham, He realised he's not as good as he once was so playing in MLS is gonna make him look like the best footballer on the planet, He can't cope with the premiership or any kind of European football anymore, Capello has said that Becks won't play for the rest of the season now. Mind you for £128 Million i'd play in MLS aswell!!
Anyway on to a proper football club, Blackburn 0 - Arsenal 2, Another good result from the mighty Gunners, A 10 man side aswell after Gilberto was sent off in the 11th minute and another cracking goal from Thierry Henry, He's finally coming back to his old form.

Actually saw an NFL'er working out at my gym yesterday. He played 9 years so far but got cut from the Falcons last season so is probably why he's back here.

As for the Superbowl, I'm hoping to see The Bears win. They are the underdogs I heard and I just loooooove underdogs.

So who's gonna meet Chelsea in the Carling Cup final? Will it be Arsenal or will it be Spurs (No Chance!). Even with the mighty Gunners fielding an almost second string team we should still give Spurs a good beating, Gotta say though i'm more concerned about the F.A Cup 4th round at the weekend, Bolton have alway's been a bit of a thorn in Arsenals side.

Come on the Gunner's!!

I like football (european style).