Stillwater (spoilers, I guess)

Tools    

Does anyone remember what the original topic of this thread was?

Procreation/reproduction is the biological imperative. Sex is sex.
Not all sex causes reproduction.

If we take an honest look at history we will see that at one time everyone was having sex with anyone and everyone. Then it become something that was only meant to create new people. And now it's become a defining trait about how people live their lives. When, in reality, sex...is just sex.
I don't know if history was quite so linear. There certainly were times when infant and maternal mortality rates were the norm, and so taboos sprang up to regulate sexual behavior due to the need to keep the tribe alive. Much of our Judeo-Christian taboos were done during this time - no sodomy, no spilling of seed, etc., because it was so difficult to keep a community populated in the face of these environmental adversities. Hedonism was more associated with societies which were satiated, they no longer had a need to regulate population. It should be a question of whether we, in the modern world, with historically low infant and maternal mortality rates and life-threatening wilderness elements, still need such taboos, and I hope we can all agree that we don't really.

I agree with Takoma mostly. Sexual deviants were long considered a threat to this survival, and either killed or ostrasized. Many still are in too many parts of the world including this country.

Oof, I had no idea this one had gotten so far afield. Anyone at all is invited to ping me if they see something like this in the future.

Gonna close this one down, for hopefully obvious reasons.