Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

[High Noon] I was really impressed by this film (another extensive write-up I did that was lost in the Corri ending).
When I went back and looked at a number of the technical things on this film, particularly with the photography, and the real-time idea that runs through it, along with a much more morally complex conceit than I expected and some great acting from Peck, Grace Kelly, and Katy Jurado (I also liked Lloyd Bridges), I felt that this movie deserved it's place among the Great Films.
I agree with you. It's a landmark film for sure. One of the longest building suspense movies that I've ever seen. Watching it when it was released, we were nervous wrecks by the time the gunfight played out. It seems real tame today, but it was something then. Of all the big names who turned down the role of Marshal Will Kane, no one could have done it better than Gary Cooper. Nice little turn for Lon Chaney, Jr. too.

Disclosure: Trans Lives on Screen (2020) -

Very thoughtful commentary.

"I just wonder if these few films that conflate transgender people with a vomit reaction were enough to elicit any big change in the public consciousness." Great sentence!..

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Day of the Outlaw - This 1959 B&W western is directed by by André De Toth and stars Robert Ryan as tough as nails rancher, Blaise Starrett. The movie takes place in the dead of winter and when it opens Starrett has ridden into the snowbound town of Bitters, Wyoming for a final showdown with who he considers to be his chief rival, homesteader Hal Crane. Crane is the de facto leader of the loose group who have been using barb wire to keep their cattle from roaming and Starrett, who settled the once wild territory and founded Bitters, considers it an affront. It also doesn't help matters any that Crane's wife Helen (Tina Louise) is Starrett's old flame. Their impending showdown is interrupted by the arrival of a gang of murderous outlaws led by renegade Army Captain Jack Bruhn (Burl Ives). They're on the run from the law after robbing an Army payroll and take over the small town as both a hideout and to seek treatment for Bruhn's potentially fatal bullet wound. He keeps his gang in check through sheer force of will and intimidation but it's plainly obvious that most of the men would like nothing better than to have their way with the town's women.

This is a bleak, almost noirish western and the nihilistic aspects of the story are bolstered by the isolated and snowy setting. Just like the desperate outlaws these are unforgiving conditions and DeToth does a good job of slowly ratcheting up the tension to it's inevitable conclusion. Speaking of which, it's a fine ending and the penultimate shot captures the uncompromising and sardonic nature of the story that was just told.

My Darling Clementine - I had never gotten around to watching this but after a few minutes I knew why this is considered such a classic. It is John Ford after all and this is him at his most assured. The cast is peerless with Henry Fonda starring as Wyatt Earp, Victor Mature as Doc Holliday, Walter Brennan as the Clanton patriarch and Ward Bond as Morgan Earp. If you're looking for a historically accurate version of the events leading up to and including the gunfight at the OK Corral then you'd be better off looking elsewhere but if you want a truly enjoyable and impressive movie going experience then check it out. From the simple act of framing a shot to the small, playful and character defining touches by the actors to the crucial transition from light to somber Ford somehow makes it all look effortless.

Day of the Outlaw - This 1959 B&W western is directed by by André De Toth and stars Robert Ryan as tough as nails rancher, Blaise Starrett. The movie takes place in the dead of winter and when it opens Starrett has ridden into the snowbound town of Bitters, Wyoming for a final showdown with who he considers to be his chief rival, homesteader Hal Crane. Crane is the de facto leader of the loose group who have been using barb wire to keep their cattle from roaming and Starrett, who settled the once wild territory and founded Bitters, considers it an affront. It also doesn't help matters any that Crane's wife Helen (Tina Louise) is Starrett's old flame. Their impending showdown is interrupted by the arrival of a gang of murderous outlaws led by renegade Army Captain Jack Bruhn (Burl Ives). They're on the run from the law after robbing an Army payroll and take over the small town as both a hideout and to seek treatment for Bruhn's potentially fatal bullet wound. He keeps his gang in check through sheer force of will and intimidation but it's plainly obvious that most of the men would like nothing better than to have their way with the town's women.

This is a bleak, almost noirish western and the nihilistic aspects of the story are bolstered by the isolated and snowy setting. Just like the desperate outlaws these are unforgiving conditions and DeToth does a good job of slowly ratcheting up the tension to it's inevitable conclusion. Speaking of which, it's a fine ending and the penultimate shot captures the uncompromising and sardonic nature of the story that was just told.

My Darling Clementine - I had never gotten around to watching this but after a few minutes I knew why this is considered such a classic. It is John Ford after all and this is him at his most assured. The cast is peerless with Henry Fonda starring as Wyatt Earp, Victor Mature as Doc Holliday, Walter Brennan as the Clanton patriarch and Ward Bond as Morgan Earp. If you're looking for a historically accurate version of the events leading up to and including the gunfight at the OK Corral then you'd be better off looking elsewhere but if you want a truly enjoyable and impressive movie going experience then check it out. From the simple act of framing a shot to the small, playful and character defining touches by the actors to the crucial transition from light to somber Ford somehow makes it all look effortless.

Just rewatched My Darling Clementine this past weekend, actually. Great stuff.

Haven't seen Day of the Outlaw, but I do quite like De Toth's Play Dirty, his Dirty Dozen rip-off with Michael Caine. Nice use of the desert environment in that one.

Just rewatched My Darling Clementine this past weekend, actually. Great stuff.
It truly is.

Haven't seen Day of the Outlaw, but I do quite like De Toth's Play Dirty, his Dirty Dozen rip-off with Michael Caine. Nice use of the desert environment in that one.
I don't think I've watched Play Dirty but the title rings a bell. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I forgot the opening line.

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=49183029

Endless Night - (2015) - (aka Nadie quiere la noche)

Another survival film for me, this time in the frozen wastelands of Greenland. Juliette Binoche plays Josephine Peary, wife of explorer Robert Peary who is attempting to reach the North Pole. Josephine is a tough but cultured woman who has shared much of Peary's exploration. She decides she wants to be as close to him as possible on his journey and travels further than all the guides recommend. In fact they keep pleading with her to go back. She ends up stuck in a shack with an Eskimo (who has more of a connection to her than she realises) during the polar winter, when the sun never rises. There, it's a brutal struggle just to survive.

This isn't the film that those making it wanted it to be, I'm afraid - and it's been cut up in a desperate attempt to save it. I enjoyed some of it, but agree with anyone thinking it's too dour, the pacing is way off and it's too uneven. The crux of the whole thing - Josephine and Allaka (Rinko Kikuchi) coming to terms with each other, their man and the horrifying permanent night - comes to us far too late, and is rushed through at a hurried pace. Small touches (on an expedition where you need every ounce to survive, Jospephine brings a large crate of crockery and fine silver to eat dinner as a lady should) still stand out, as does the initial meeting and melding of cultures.

There are some truly breathtaking shots of avalanches and the glorious arctic wilderness - but the film doesn't leave a lasting impression overall.

5/10

By The poster art copyright is believed to belong to the distributor of the film, the publisher of the film or the graphic artist. - Teaser-Trailer.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=55216453

The Commuter - (2018)

Liam Neeson's wife and daughter get kidnapped again.

3/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=17879994

Defiance - (2008)

This film has been around for ages, and I see it pop up everywhere at DVD sales, on television, on posters. I never really felt the need to see it - but after so much time I thought I may as well put a movie to the cover/posters. This is much more a war film than a Holocaust film, although the executions are there - they're shied away from a little bit. Based on Nechama Tec's 1993 book Defiance: The Bielski Partisans, this true story tells the tale of two Jewish brothers, who set up a group of partisans in the woods instead of submit to a concentration camp.

I guess this is a survivor film too in a way - especially seeing all the families involved living in the woods, and surviving any way they can. It's entertaining and engaging - but the horrors are significantly diminished. At it's heart it's a tale about families, and the relationship between Tuvia Bielski (Daniel Craig) and Zus Bielski (Liev Schreiber) is the best thing about it. The script is fine, but the focus is too broad. This is a really heavy subject, and it's a shame to see it being taken so lightly.

5/10

Logan Lucky (2017)

I think I would have liked this more, but there is just something about southern humor that distracts me more than anything...a more than serviceable Ocean-type plot. All of the acting was superb, with Daniel Craig standing out to me the most.

Victim of The Night
I agree with you. It's a landmark film for sure. One of the longest building suspense movies that I've ever seen. Watching it when it was released, we were nervous wrecks by the time the gunfight played out. It seems real tame today, but it was something then. Of all the big names who turned down the role of Marshal Will Kane, no one could have done it better than Gary Cooper. Nice little turn for Lon Chaney, Jr. too.
Yeah, I love the whole John Wayne backstory to this one and how he tried to play it off. Cost The Duke a lot of respect in my eyes (as if he'd care) but people are complicated I guess.

Victim of The Night
Atlantic City (1980)

Really liked this one. Burt Lancaster is so underappreciated, historically.

Atlantic City (1980)

I recently bought this dvd.

Yeah, I love the whole John Wayne backstory to this one and how he tried to play it off. Cost The Duke a lot of respect in my eyes (as if he'd care) but people are complicated I guess.
Cooper is without a doubt the better man, but John Wayne did go and make Rio Bravo in response, which I absolutely love. So I guess the real winner is the viewing public.

Interesting concept. Well-acted. A looooooong movie.

Good movie though the book is better.

[Atlantic City] Really liked this one. Burt Lancaster is so underappreciated, historically.
Yes, Lancaster was one of the all time greats-- an unusual combination of athlete and artist. AC is one of my favorite films: great story, great acting. And Sarandon made very good use of lemons..

Victim of The Night
Yes, Lancaster was one of the all time greats-- an unusual combination of athlete and artist. AC is one of my favorite films: great story, great acting. And Sarandon made very good use of lemons..
Yes she did.