The Invisible Man (2020)

Written By Dave Beeksma

Or…(Insert Invisible Spoilers)

Ok…can you even spoil a movie with a name like The Invisible Man? I mean come on. If you go to a film with a title like The Wolfman or Dracula the shocker would be no Rover or tuxedoed bats. The Invisible Man is a movie about a guy who is invisible. Don’t be shocked…well…unless you were expecting to see a 2020 adaptation of Ellison’s great 1952 book, The Invisible Man. In that case I’m with you.

It isn’t Ellison.

What it is is the latest version of the H.G. Wells classic story about a guy named Griffin who (Spoiler! —— is invisible…and not particularly nice). In this telling, Griffin is the abusive ex of Elisabeth Moss. Ms. M, who may or may not be crazy (ok…it is obvious she isn’t…but it would have made a much better film if she was and the I-Man really was all in her head) is, as always, solid - even when the script calls on her to flop around like a grounded salmon. Tip of the hat to the make-up team too for going super light on her. She goes through some crappy things in the film and the natural look helps reinforce the distress her character is feeling. Or they ran out of money for rouge and face powder. In all events it works for her.

Although the movie comes off as a mediocre low startle horror-sci-fi-thriller, the writer-director, Leigh Whannell (who penned Saw, Insidious, and other movies I don’t watch), seemed like he really wanted to tell a story with a socially relevant subtext: Do we really have privacy? What is truth in a world of gaslighting? In the end Whannell produced…ummm…a mediocre low startle horror-sci-fi-thriller.

The Invisible Man is available for rent from Amazon Prime for $19.95. If you want to watch Kate flop around fighting (Spoiler!) an Invisible Man you can check it out there. Want something a little less pricy - or just have a thing for I-Men? The 2018 film of the same name is free to Amazon Prime members and if you want to really go old school you can rent the 1933 Claude Raines version there for $3.99.

👻👻 Two out of Five Invisible Oscars (up from one thanks to K.M.’s invisible makeup).

What do you think?

Drop us a comment and let us know.