Is it any wonder cinema is dying.

Tools    

Ticket sales in Britain fell year on year from 1946 through to 1985, which is when The Point opened at Milton Keynes.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
How does one "deal with the Holocaust" properly? What does that even mean? Process it? Forget it? Remember it? Change the perception of it? Diminish it? Empower it? Why does art have to be informed by, or inextricably linked to any event?

His comments don't deal with The Holocaust properly, so I will go ahead and deem his comments a failure. Turnabout is fair play, after all.
Also in response to Guap's comments

I wasn't trying to advocate Godard's ideas, merely explain a quote that appears very cryptic and obtuse at first glance. As all great artists do, Godard has a very specific and focused view of his medium. Godard's views are not my own, but I think saying that Godard views cinema as a 20th century failure and that he sees Kiarostami (around the time of Life, And Nothing More..., a film which directly and comlexly comes to terms with a national tragedy) as the end of cinema are significant tools for understanding his quote.

And don't worry about technical advancements in film, because there haven't been any revolutionary technical advancements in the last 50 years in terms of live action film. It's not like it's possible to improve cameras much more. If you are thinking about special effects/CGI them that's something different, related to animation instead.
I'd look into that a little further if I were you, because this couldn't be more inaccurate.

I'd look into that a little further if I were you, because this couldn't be more inaccurate.
That depends on how do you care about "revolutionary", of course, modern technology allows for cameras where older technology did not (such as tiny cameras on the wheels of a moving vehicle). The same way that writing novels in a PC is supposedly superior than using pen or a writing machine.

But the essential process of film making is the same for a century and the quality/resolution of the images obtained from photographic (30mm or 60mm, etc) film is also the same for generations.

They might scratch their heads when they see logos and name brands, compared to something happening, or symbols or metaphors.
Logos, brands are symbols and metaphors and are something happening.

Miss Kitty doesn't have much social relevance, and they might think we worshiped cats?
The ancients did more than worship stuff. They drew many things on their pottery, mostly for entertainment.

Re: The OP.

Hundreds Of German Cinemas Boycotting Avengers: Age Of Ultron
The heroes of ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’ won’t be assembling at a number of German theatres.

Theatres in 193 small towns in Germany are refusing to screen the Marvel blockbuster, citing Disney’s raised rental fee for the film, according to German publication Deutsche Welle. In total, the film is being kept from 686 screens.

Cinema owners told DW that they were taken aback when Disney announced it was upping the fee from 47.7 to 53 percent of ticket sales.

Additionally, Disney is cutting its advertising spend and will not provide advances for 3D glasses.

“We are worried, particularly about eastern Germany,” Karl-Heinz Meier, spokesman for advocacy group I.G. Nord, told DW.

“When prices go up, then we have a serious problem that could force movie theatres to close.”

A Disney rep issued a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, saying that the studio wouldn’t address the situation. “We don’t discuss the negotiations that we are engaged in with our partners in exhibition,” the statement reads.
https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/hundreds...504263296.html

I used to visit the cinema almost 2-3 times a month, and some months even more. I love the cinema experience, seeing your favourite films on the big screen is excellent. But lately I just havnt been able to afford to visit as much as I would like to. I went last night and 2 tickets to see fifty shades of grey was £22. 2 drinks, 2 bags of sweets and a large popcorn was £28. That's £50 on a night at the cinema and that's for a movie without 3D or IMAX. Is it any wonder people stay in and download movies now.
I love going to the cinema, with or without friends. It's a unique experience. I usually only pirate movies when I'm not interested in spending money on a movie I think I will dislike. But, I once talked to a friend... and he made a point in our conversation. On one side, it's bad pirating movies considering the effort the filmmakers had in making the film. On the other side, think about the money you'd spent if you go see every single movie that there is in your theater. At the end of the day, you will realize you spent an absurd amount of money. That's why I think downloading movies/pirating them isn't totally bad. But yes, going to the cinema to see the movies you know you'll like is completely worth it. If I don't want to buy the popcorn right at the theater reception because it's too expensive, then I'll go to another place for cheaper popcorn.

Also, I too go to the cinema 2-3 times a month. It's not much, but it's sufficient.

I like going to the cinema but I don't like when it's crowded. I normally go alone 'cause I like watching films alone, I hate bothering comments. I pay 6-7 pounds normally, if it's a classic film in a posh theatre, I end up paying 9, I think it's alright. I never buy food, I just feel like my snacking would be disturbing everyone else.

I used to visit the cinema almost 2-3 times a month, and some months even more. I love the cinema experience, seeing your favourite films on the big screen is excellent. But lately I just havnt been able to afford to visit as much as I would like to. I went last night and 2 tickets to see fifty shades of grey was £22. 2 drinks, 2 bags of sweets and a large popcorn was £28. That's £50 on a night at the cinema and that's for a movie without 3D or IMAX. Is it any wonder people stay in and download movies now.
That's why I bring my own snacks amd beer in my backpack. The last movie I went to in theaters cost me less than $5 because it was on Tuesday when it's cheaper.

Cinema is now become rich activities... and it's sad very sad...

11$ for a ticket + 13$ for the popcorn and the beverage = 24$ and when you're with a girl it's not less than 50$.

It's probably why I never go to cinema more than 3 times a year.

11$ for a ticket + 13$ for the popcorn and the beverage = 24$ and when you're with a girl it's not less than 50$.

Usually on date people will split the popcorn and soda, not get two of each.

Usually on date people will split the popcorn and soda, not get two of each.
Good point but it still 35$ without taxes..

3310Krauser
I'm a low earner, but I still think it's worth it, if a film is good then I'm happy to pay, and sometimes even see things two or three times if they're good enough.

I mean this is why things like MoviePass are starting to come about and will probably gain popularity in the coming years, subscription-based services to go to the movie theater, which is the closest thing to an answer to Netflix that theater chains will have. 30$ a month to go to the theater without paying for a ticket will pay itself back in 2 visits, and if they start to add family/couples packages so you can pay for several people, then that will only make it more useful for people. Cinema isn't going to die, it's going to adapt. The general population is not going to stop seeing movies at the theater, regardless of price or payment method, at least not in the U.S (I can't speak about international cinema). It won't happen. It's ingrained in American culture. People go to the movies. They go on dates, they go as families, they go as friends, it's one of the most popular forms of social interaction in the U.S, and that won't change any time soon.

Maybe you don't like the direction cinema has gone, or how loud and annoying your local theater's patrons are, or how it's not like the good old days when tickets were cheap for a laundry list of reasons why tickets were cheaper, or whatever your gripe is, but let's not kid ourselves, cinema is as alive as it has ever been, because it's still making money (a sh*t ton of it at that) and people still love going to the movies, generally speaking. There are at least 3 or 4 theaters within a 15 minute drive of my house, and all of them by my observations seem to be doing just fine and people love going to them.

I think you just need to be proactive about saving money. I will usually go to the movies and take my sister on Tuesdays/Wednesdays or Sunday matinees. Ticket prices are about $9 like that. Bring 2 water bottles (go for about 20 cents if you buy in bulk) and stop at the local CVS for a candy ($1.50 each times two). We spent $25 in total going to see Jurassic World. If you make an effort, it can be cheap. That said, there is a problem in that a single IMAX ticket for a Friday or Saturday showing of it would run for about $18. Cinema might be "dying" in the sense that we are currently in the early stages of a changing world economy that will eventually make China the biggest movie market in the world and not America, bu the American box office isn't going down this year for good reason.

Here in England the ticket prices for 2 people ae like 18.50 and popcorn and stuff about 8.00.

When I was a little girl they used to be about 2.50 to go see a full movie.

It's getting a bit ridiculous forking out nearly 20.00 to see a movie nowadays.

In Quebec the trick is to go there on tuesday, at the theater I usually go to, it's 6$ for a movie on tuesday so it isn't that bad if you don't buy food.