Highest Grossing Movie This Year Domestically?

Tools    

I told you all over and over that you had defective hype-meters! Y'all should have listened!

Check it out!
You, good sir, are going to be eating meal-sized plates of crow for lunch and dinner in a month's time.

You are so focused on the American market with your tracking and hype and all that *****, but the simple fact is that there is close to a $400 mil gap between The Avengers and The Dark Knight in non-American gross. And The Avengers has yet to be released in Japan, where it will do big numbers. The Dark Knight Rises can't bridge a nearly $400 mil gap in non-American markets. It would do well to get $650. That still leaves a $200 mil gap.

It would need to do Avatar numbers in America if it's going to beat The Avengers. And it won't...

So, you best get used to this:

Yeah, important to clarify which predictions are about which totals. To my mind, TDKR has the best chance of winning opening weekend, followed somewhat closely by total domestic gross, but with a large gap in probability between domestic gross and worldwide gross, which is probably, of those three areas, the one in which it's least likely to come out on top.

You, good sir, are going to be eating meal-sized plates of crow for lunch and dinner in a month's time.

You are so focused on the American market with your tracking and hype and all that *****, but the simple fact is that there is close to a $400 mil gap between The Avengers and The Dark Knight in non-American gross. And The Avengers has yet to be released in Japan, where it will do big numbers. The Dark Knight Rises can't bridge a nearly $400 mil gap in non-American markets. It would do well to get $650. That still leaves a $200 mil gap.

It would need to do Avatar numbers in America if it's going to beat The Avengers. And it won't...

So, you best get used to this:

I am prepared for either scenario, however, I still maintain that TDKR will edge out The Avengers by the end of it's theatrical run.

The Avengers hasn't opened in Japan yet? Then TDKR is for sure not beating The Avengers.
Did you know that TDKR will also play in Japan?

All this discussion about 'highest gross' makes me forget how great a film TDKR probably will be. I've yet to see The Avengers, but it doubt it'll match TDKR level of quality.

All this discussion about 'highest gross' makes me forget how great a film TDKR probably will be. I've yet to see The Avengers, but it doubt it'll match TDKR level of quality.
It depends on what you're looking for. I know that, on most days, I'd rather watch something fun and vibrant like The Avengers over the previous 2 Nolan Bat-films. However, it's not as great a technical achievement as Nolan's work, IMO.

Honestly, other than being comic book adaptations, they shouldn't be compared. They have nothing in common other than the occasional cape.

The Avengers and TDKR are two different films completely. BouncingBrick is right they shouldn't be compared.

The Avengers is the standard for how much fun and action filled a superhero movie should be.

The Nolan Batman movies are just very dark. Yes it is still an action film. But it focuses on the dark and heavier things more.

Marvel and DC Comics movies are different. Can't compare Iron Man to the Dark Knight (and I'd give both films four stars).

Box Office Mojo said $214 million, Box Office Guru goes way lower, with $184 million. Lees Movie Info doesn't have a projection but based on the either/or in its opinion poll, is putting the over/under at $175 million. Betting market Intrade (bets with real money behind them) has it at $201 million.

So there you go.

I say $210 opening with record breaking midnight numbers.

We know where my opinion goes after that.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I am prepared for either scenario, however, I still maintain that TDKR will edge out The Avengers by the end of it's theatrical run.
Hey Brick, want to make a friendly E-bet?

I say Dark Knight Rises will not exceed that of the Avengers box-office theatrical run domestically.

You of course have it the other way around.

Loser must use this as an Avatar for a month :

Additionally the winnah has control over what the losers signature will read over that time period.

Deal?

I will also allow you to use these instead of the crow :

^^Ok. But we have to wait until both films are done with their theatrical runs. I can stand Halloween with that avatar!

I had to work about right hours today at the movie theater. I had to deal with the Dark Knight rises rush. Not too many people were seeing the trilogy. But that was the busiest it has ever been since I have been working there (I started just after they finished playing the Avengers). We are a small theater and only have five theaters. We had three theaters devoted to Batman. One for the trilogy, one for the movie being shown in old fashion film, and the other for it being shown in digital (no difference). When it got around 11:30 people were coming it. We usually have only one concession stand open with two cashiers. We had to open up the second one.

I am going to see this tomorrow night.

Reviews aren't as good...running time means fewer showings.....I think BB is going to have an avatar change.....
If reviews and run time mattered do you think Transformers 3 would have done $1+ billion? Nice try.

Dude, then why did you bring up those two things as if you think they would matter in the box office haul?