Another thread for talking about the morality of downloading films

Tools    

I wish they'd scrap the regions on the DVDs. Loads of movies aren't available on Region 2 (ironically some of them are British but available only on Region 1!).

Also, in these cash-strapped times, people are a little more dubious about investing their money in a product they haven't seen. Cinema tickets are about the price of a DVD and DVD rental is dying out (unless it's a free rental list, where you aren't guaranteed that the film you want to see now will turn up now).

I wish they'd scrap the regions on the DVDs. Loads of movies aren't available on Region 2 (ironically some of them are British but available only on Region 1!).
This wouldn't be an issue if game consoles that played dvds were region free..or if dvd players were. I never understood the concept of regional products, is there any logic to it?
Also, in these cash-strapped times, people are a little more dubious about investing their money in a product they haven't seen.
Hence piracy. However, there are people who steal it and never buy it, which is the problem. I see no issue whatsoever with stealing it for a preview and buying it if you like it, deleting it if not.

This wouldn't be an issue if game consoles that played dvds were region free..or if dvd players were. I never understood the concept of regional products, is there any logic to it?
It's about the money, I think, so people can't buy them cheaper from another country. But it's still stupid.

If I can find a way of getting the movies in high quality (and I have) then I will certainly not feel any extent of contriteness at downloading content that is freely available online. I suppose my personal justification of this comes down to the reality that paper-thin morals don't help me sleep at night nor do they add mass to my wallet. No one is going hungry over my decision to do this.

People who pay for their movies get some advantages such as dvd cases, extras, hard copies etc. None of these thing matter to me, so I don't intend to pay for them.

If I can find a way of getting the movies in high quality (and I have) then I will certainly not feel any extent of contriteness at downloading content that is freely available online. I suppose my personal justification of this comes down to the reality that paper-thin morals don't help me sleep at night nor do they add mass to my wallet. No one is going hungry over my decision to do this.

People who pay for their movies get some advantages such as dvd cases, extras, hard copies etc. None of these thing matter to me, so I don't intend to pay for them.

& You've joined MovieForums just to let us know that..
Thanks.

& You've joined MovieForums just to let us know that..
Thanks.
Well this thread caught my attention so I made it my first post. I'm not quit sure how you've managed to ascertain that my first post is the only reason I've signed up to this this board, presumably all members must make a first post somewhere and I choose not to have strangers greet me with generic and incoherent comments like "great to have you here". I prefer that I get to know users in time as I discuss with them.

Anyway, I assure you that your physic abilities will be fallacious as soon as I find another topic I'd like to post in.

Your welcome by the way, and thank you for the sarcasm. I can tell were going to get on like a house on fire.

Glad to know your second post was something like that..

I was expecting something like this in an another thread...

Watch Inception in HQ here

Already had 2 of those today... Yes I am waiting to see you set the house on fire..

I love downloading films.. if it wasn't for downloading filsm I would have been one of those people who only enjoy Michael Bay, James Cameron & Judd Apatow movies.

But I also buy my movies... But I am just grateful for downloading.
Else I would have been ignorant like most.

Glad to know your second post was something like that..

I was expecting something like this in an another thread...

Watch Inception in HQ here

Already had 2 of those today... Yes I am waiting to see you set the house on fire..
Thanks for explaining, I just assumed you were rude.

You have issues with Spam around these parts?

I am never rude, though we do have some rude people around here.
I am nicest of all..

Yes, we just hate spammers... I think if most of us are smart enough to find a movie forum site, then we can find our movies online as well..

Semper Fooey
Halloween os coming up. Here are some public domain horrors you can download and not get sued.

Horror Hotel
Black Sunday
White Zombie
Night of the Living Dead
Dementia 13
House on Haunted Hill
Carnival of Souls
The Most Dangerous Game

If I can find a way of getting the movies in high quality (and I have) then I will certainly not feel any extent of contriteness at downloading content that is freely available online. I suppose my personal justification of this comes down to the reality that paper-thin morals don't help me sleep at night nor do they add mass to my wallet.
This is just a slightly dressed up way of saying "hey, it doesn't hurt me, so why should I care?"

No one is going hungry over my decision to do this.
You can justify stealing almost everything widely produced and distributed with the same logic.

Regardless, the statement isn't even accurate to begin with; you don't just hurt some faceless executive when you steal from a studio. If enough people cumulatively hurt their bottom line (and they must, given how common this is), they will produce fewer films, or spend less on them, thereby resulting in fewer jobs in the film industry.

Not that theft is okay if you're doing it from someone rich enough...but even if it was, they would not be the only ones affected by it.

People who buy DVDs aren't paying for those things; they represent a miniscule fraction of the cost. The overwhelming majority of the cost is a) to produce the films in question, and b) the risk associated with producing the films in question.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: I'm not trying to pretend this is some unspeakable crime. Intellectual property is a sticky, cart-before-the-horse kind of issue that requires a long-term view, be it in regards to movies or patents. But let's not delude ourselves into thinking it's perfectly okay, or victimless. It doesn't bug me that much that people do it, but it does bug me when they try to rationalize it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Every film that I have ever downloaded, I own on DVD.

I don't download anymore, I stream

To be honest though, if I really want to see the movie, I'll go to the theatre or buy it on DVD. If it's something that I'm iffy on and just want to pass the time, internet is here for me. Although a lot of sites I use to visit are down, so it looks like Netflix for me soon.

Suspect's Reviews

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
This is just a slightly dressed up way of saying "hey, it doesn't hurt me, so why should I care?"
The market sets the price.

So long as Studios continue to release bare bones "rental" copies, followed by a never-ending stream of special edition, collectors edition, ultimate edition and Anniversary Editions, it serves em right.

I think I downloaded ten films in the last 24 hours.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The market sets the price.

So long as Studios continue to release bare bones "rental" copies, followed by a never-ending stream of special edition, collectors edition, ultimate edition and Anniversary Editions, it serves em right.
I don't follow that logic. Releasing deluxe versions of movies in no way entitles anyone to get bare bones versions for free. If anything, it's the opposite: they're offering cheaper "plain" versions for people who don't feel like paying for extras.

Not that it's possible to really "ask for" theft in a way that excuses the person stealing.

I think I downloaded ten films in the last 24 hours.
Charlatan.