Horror Movies

Tools    

And as for Saw and Hostel, I liked them both. I thought they were gory and suspenseful, and pretty cleverly done.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
And as for Saw and Hostel, I liked them both. I thought they were gory and suspenseful, and pretty cleverly done.
I completely agree.

Watching a movie and getting that real sense of being scared and horrified about what's going on and what's going to come up next is what a really good horror movie is all about, I don't know if you would consider this a horror movie but The Fourth Kind scared the hell out of me because of the real recordings playing alongside the actors just gives it a whole new level of horror in my opinion. Movies based on True events, especially ones that have video to back up the story are the scariest kind of horror movie to me.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Don't forget Romero's Land of the Dead.

'Gotta love Romero.
I thought that Diary of the Dead was a really good movie, filmed Blair Witch style giving that whole realness feeling about the movie.

Horror and its sub genres will always have a place in my heart, it's the genre that got me interested in film, I use to be obsessed with Horror films years ago and then moved onto a bigger interest in film overall.

France has been the place to look over the years, don't release a lot of horror/thrillers but what they do release is usually fantastic. 'New French Extremism' for example(not just Horror), is a place to look - films like Martyrs, and the wonderful Inside.

I actually like horror films. Not Turistas, because it was just awful with zero suspense. I am a fan of the saw series, minus the 5th one. Also, the Final Destination films are also pretty good. The 4th one was awful, though. Scream 4 was a pretty good, more recent horror film.

Turistas had some moments, I found the under water cave sequences really disturbing but that's probably to do with my fear of deep water. Did well with the atmosphere in those scenes.

But yes, nothing special but wouldn't call it awful.

Turistas had some moments, I found the under water cave sequences really disturbing but that's probably to do with my fear of deep water. Did well with the atmosphere in those scenes.

But yes, nothing special but wouldn't call it awful.
Agreed, mediocre. I was somewhat interested near the beginning but quickly got bored. I watched most of it kind of half-ways, sometimes finding something vaguely interesting, mostly just not able to care.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Agreed, mediocre. I was somewhat interested near the beginning but quickly got bored. I watched most of it kind of half-ways, sometimes finding something vaguely interesting, mostly just not able to care.
There is only one good thing to say about Turistas and that is Olivia Wilde

I disagree. The only somewhat scary scene was the organ-removing scene, and even that was very unrealistic. That was one of the only parts that even categorized itself as horror. The rest of the film was the sub-par cast walking around in various places.

I agree with N3wt with coming up with new Ideas. For all movies coming out of hollywood for that matter

I don't even watch today's horror films. Hitchcock took the genre with him to his grave.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
There are so many new or newish horror films out there right now, there just not Made in the USA. French, Korean, Japanese just to name 3 countries that are putting out lots of great horror films

Are we talking from his death (1980) or from Frenzy (1972) and, seeing as he only made two horror films (Is The Birds a horror film? I suppose you could post it under that heading, but I don't think of The Birds as a horror film at all. There again, I don't think of Psycho as a horror film, either. Frenzy is a British film but you might be including it) as you're limiting it to American horror, then he has one horror film. Psycho. You're saying that Psycho burried American horror? Really?

If you say American horror's been dead since 1980 I'd but if you're saying it's from 1960 then I don't think there's a smilie capable of expressing that big an error.

I was saying that american horror films following 1980 never reached the heights of previous years (the genre's heyday came when Hitchcock was alive). And I would say that Psycho, The Birds, and Frenzy are all horror.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Horror films are unsettling movies that strive to elicit the emotions of fear, disgust and horror from viewers. They often feature scenes that startle the viewer through the means of macabre and the supernatural, thus frequently overlapping with the fantasy and science fiction genres. Horrors also frequently overlap with the thriller genre.
Horror films deal with the viewer's nightmares, hidden worst fears, revulsions and terror of the unknown. Although a good deal of it is about the supernatural, if some films contain a plot about morbidity, serial killers, a disease/virus outbreak and surrealism, they may be termed "horror. Thank you Wikipedia.

I always considered Hitchcock to be more on that thriller edge.